Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Taking my Brit born child to the US  (Read 5160 times)

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
  • Liked: 0
Re: Taking my Brit born child to the US
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
sign up for Selective Service, sorry this is Indy's wife does this mean natioanl service or that they can be called up at any time or do they actually have to go into the armed forces for a period of time?

We have 4 boys and this concerns me alot.
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
sign up for Selective Service, sorry this is Indy's wife does this mean natioanl service or that they can be called up at any time or do they actually have to go into the armed forces for a period of time?

I have four sons also and it's a major concern for me. It's selective service not national service...he can be drafted.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »
I was going to suggest that you maybe can do the dual citizenship for your child now at this young age, but when they are older and can make an informed decision, then the child can decide to renounce citizenship and therefore doing away with the taxes and obligation to the selective service, if he so chooses.  I can understand your position on it and get why you don't want to, but at the same time, you have the benefit of actually traveling without being questioned or asked.  It is definitely a case that is worth weighing the options.  So many people including my girl and husband have worked really hard to be dual citizens and think it is a benefit to be able to roam freely or live where you want.  But the decision is ultimately yours at the moment. I have never heard of someone being banned from the US if they choose one nationality over the other.  I'm not sure that is even legal since he probably would have family in the US.  The selective service is only that EVERY male over the age of 18 I believe has to register.  It ONLY means that in the case of a draft (which we haven't had in YEARS and probably won't happen again unless the world all goes to crap) they can be called to fight for the US.  Nothing else, they aren't a member of the National Guard or Reserves or anything.  Anyways, I wish you luck with whichever decision you make!

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »

Is that true? He would be banned from visiting the US if he renounced? I never heard of that. Absurd!

its a "rumour" I was told. Basically saying, if someone wants to give up their US citizenship then they wont be allowed back in. I dont know if its accurate, I dont know where to begin looking for the answer!

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

"What is The Selective Service System?

The Selective Service System is an independent agency within the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. The Director of Selective Service is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. Selective Service is not a part of the Department of Defense.

The Federal law under which the agency operates is the Military Selective Service Act. Under this law, the mission of the Selective Service System is to provide the numbers of men needed by the Armed Forces, within the time required, should Congress and the President decide to return to a draft, in the event of a national emergency. Selective Service would also be responsible for administering a program of alternative service for conscientious objectors.

What is Selective Service Registration?

Registration is the process of providing the Selective Service System with personal information, such as name, address, date of birth, Social Security Account Number and other related information. It is a civic and legal responsibility. Even though, no one is currently being drafted, men are required to register with Selective Service as soon as they reach age 18.

Registering with Selective Service does not mean that you are joining the military.

Registration provides our country with a means to develop and maintain an accurate list of names and addresses of men who might be called upon if a return to the draft is authorized.

Failure to register or otherwise comply with the Military Selective Service Act is upon conviction, punishable by a fine of up to $250,000, imprisonment for up to five years, or both. In addition, federal and certain state laws require registration as a prerequisite for obtaining student financial aid, job training, government employment, and U.S. naturalization.

Who Must Register?

With few exceptions, all male United States citizens and male aliens residing in the United States and its territories must register within 30 days of their 18th birthday.

DUAL NATIONALS
Dual nationals of the U.S. and another country are required to register, regardless of where they live, because they are U.S. nationals."

http://www.sss.gov/SSSYOU/SSSYOU.HTM
http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:38:38 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:55 PM »

U.S. has a completely volunteer armed services, meaning there's no compulsory period like say in Israel. Selective service means they might get called up but only if there's a draft. Basically, they might get  "selected" to "serve."

There hasn't been a draft in the U.S. since the Vietnam war, however, and any suggestions to bring it back have been VERY unpopular. So it isn't something that is very likely to come up, but it certainly might.

Edited to add: BTW, around the time a U.S. resident male turns 18, he'll prob get a reminder to register. Baskin Robbins (U.S. ice-cream chain) used to keep mailing lists of birthdays to mail out free cone offers once a year as a promotional gimmick. On one occasion, Selective Service used those mailing lists to track down close-to-18 males. There was a fair bit of hubbub about it when it came to light.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:26:59 PM by Mort »
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 6
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 08:26:24 PM »
its a "rumour" I was told. Basically saying, if someone wants to give up their US citizenship then they wont be allowed back in. I dont know if its accurate, I dont know where to begin looking for the answer!

Doesn't seem to be true.

They may also have difficulty traveling as they may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if they were not stateless, they would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that they are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program (VWPP).
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html -Look under the Dual nationality section.

So if the child chose to renounce after reaching adulthood, I gather from that he/she would be treated soley as a British citizen, and would be eligible to visit under the Visa Waiver Program.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
Would your DH even agree to it anyway? Doesn't he have to sign the paperwork as well? If he won't, then there's your argument I guess?

my husband refuses to give our child dual citizenship as well. For a few reasons. The main one is if anything were to happen to us, we want her to remain in the UK with his family and not have any of my family get custody of her (long story..sooo not getting into it) .. also because he is proud of being English and doesnt want the US having any say in her life. We have agreed that once she becomes 18, we will support her in any decision she makes in the matter

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »

So if the child chose to renounce after reaching adulthood, I gather from that he/she would be treated soley as a British citizen, and would be eligible to visit under the Visa Waiver Program.

True, theoretically this would be the case. But Visa Waivers are granted at the discretion of the Immigration Officer and it doesn't seem to be out of the realm of possibility that they'd use that discretion to deny the waiver to someone who has renounced. Or at least give them a difficult time at the port of entry.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 3
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
I have taken my UK born son into the state about 4 times now and no one has batted an eyelid. Either the illegality of it is not enforcible, or its not actually illegal. Who knows....

I have travelled twice with him on my own, and twice with him with my UK born husband. We have had no comments or problems. It shouldn't be a problem for you. He only has a UK passport.

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
I have taken my UK born son into the state about 4 times now and no one has batted an eyelid. Either the illegality of it is not enforcible, or its not actually illegal. Who knows....

I have travelled twice with him on my own, and twice with him with my UK born husband. We have had no comments or problems. It shouldn't be a problem for you. He only has a UK passport.

This is encouraging. What airport do you usually fly into in the US? Chicago immigration can be total jerks! 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 09:06:26 PM »
This is encouraging. What airport do you usually fly into in the US? Chicago immigration can be total jerks! 

I have flown into JFK, Philadephia, Tampa...a few airports. Honestly just do it...there are going to be loopholes in everything.

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
I have flown into JFK, Philadephia, Tampa...a few airports. Honestly just do it...there are going to be loopholes in everything.
true true. I guess if I get questioned I can always plead ignorance.  :-\\\\

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
We have agreed that once she becomes 18, we will support her in any decision she makes in the matter

I believe she has to decide before she is 18, and once she turns 18 and hasn't obtained her citizenship it becomes much more difficult, especially if she has never lived in the US.

You also are not banned from the US if you decide not to take US citizenship, that is not true. And someone else was correct in saying you don't have to pay taxes on the first $80,000 you make, so a child won't pay taxes. Children in the US don't pay taxes, why would a US citizen in the UK?

I guess I don't see this as a huge problem, but it is just me. I think that having dual citizenship, even with the US, is a huge plus for people.

• Chronicles of Squidgyboo
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »
I don't get this thread.  You're (not directed toward anyone in particular) an American citizen full stop.  Why is the British half of the child being treated as a good thing and the American as bad.  Although I have issues with the current administration I'm proud to be an american.  What's with all the self hate.  
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. Eleanor Roosevelt

Sponsored Links