Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re: International Graduate Programme  (Read 1514 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: International Graduate Programme
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
The latest estimate is that the Post Study Visa, which will replace IGS, is due to launch in the summer of 2008.  Those who are doing IGS at that time can switch into the PSV if they wish, and get a total of 24 months altogether, so there is no need to wait until the summer if you don't want to.

The timetable is here:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/managingmigration/apointsbasedsystem/timetableforPBSlaunch

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
I'm so glad to hear that the International Graduate Programme has flowered into a much more generous scheme. The Post Study Visa looks to be a fantastic opportunity for me to work in my field of study close to my family. My teenage half sis is British and probably wouldn't mind having her big brother nearby. I have really enjoyed living in England as a postgrad student and look forward to furthering my career in London. 

I have a couple questions about the new scheme.  My student visa expired at the end of January 2008. When I apply for the new visa scheme, will my 24 months start ticking based on my student visa expiration date?  Also, is there a cutoff date when applying for the visa?  I wouldn't start looking for positions in England until late Summer.  I'm going to England on holiday in June.  Would there be any benefit to applying for the visa in London?  I currently reside in Chicago and the consulate here was brilliant with my previous visa. 

Many thanks for responding to my questions!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »
What was the date you graduated?  The cut off for applying is 12 months after this date.

If you come to the UK as a visitor you wouldn't be able to apply for the visa from within the UK.

Vicky

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »
I graduated in October of 2007.  At least that's when I received my diploma.

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
What was the date that you actually were informed that you had been awarded your degree (rather than the date of the graduation ceremony)?

Vicky

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 05:27:35 AM »
I received my Diploma with a Merit level in late October 2007.  It's not dated with a day or month and neither is the envelope it arrived in.  My course prospectus from the Oxford based design college shows the last day of the course as the 1st of September 2007.  We had a final project that was due on the 1st of September.

• Banned

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
Did you get a transcript of your results with a date on it?

Vicky

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
Ha ha, well Vicky and I disagree on this one.

For IGS (not the forthcoming PSW scheme), for me it's clear that you can use various definitions of the date you successfully completed your course, the most generous of which is the end date of the visa you had for that course (assuming you had the normal allowance of +4 months).  I know Vicky feels its risky to rely on this definition (scroll back in this thread for our exchange of views), but I still don't really know why you feel so strongly about this Vicky, and I have never seen a refusal on this basis.  I work at a university, and for an independent student advice agency, and can only confirm that it is absolutely standard and normal across the whole UK HE sector for students to apply to IGS on this basis of "successfully completing their course" on that date.  My previous posts had links to the UKBA website and the IDIs which both endorse the definition.  Anyway I have never seen or heard of a refusal.

However, for the new PSW scheme, which is due to launch for worldwide applications on 30 June 2008, it does look like the date will be specifically defined as the date you were notified in writing of your result.  This has not been formally clarified in any of the published information, but I had it last week on very good authority that unlike under IGS, the idea is that the date will now have a proper single definition.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:39:37 AM by sah10406 »

• Banned

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »
Regardless of our disagreement, I think the point here is that minime appears to have no date at all which he can prove, and surely there must be that!  He can show the date the visa ended, but the diploma could have been issued any time in 2007 which would cause a problem.

Vicky

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
I agree with Vicky.  For PSW it looks like you will need evidence of the date you were formally notified of your result, so the ECO will know you are applying within the deadline.  I  imagine it was around October/November 2007 and expect your university could confirm in writing the date on which your result was confirmed?

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »
My diploma is from a small design college in Oxford.  The postgrad course was fully accredited.  The principal of the college is not easy to get in touch with and happens to be a bit disorganised, in my opinion.  I was puzzled by my diploma, having only the year of completion and the envelope had no postmark anywhere when it arrived in the post.  Should I try to get another diploma and or a letter from the college to state the date of completion? 

Also will the new visa be good for two years from the date of application?  I'm not completely clear on this. 

Thank you kindly.

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 01:53:29 AM »
Should I try to get another diploma and or a letter from the college to state the date of completion? 
Yes, the latter.

Also will the new visa be good for two years from the date of application?  I'm not completely clear on this. 
Two years from the date it is issued.

Re: International Graduate Programme/ points system for post study work
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
Hi again.  I was just sitting down to put my application in for post study work in the UK.  I noticed the entire process seems to have changed. 
1. Is the visa still available for a period of two years?

2. The college I received my Postgraduate Diploma from is an independent college but examined by a "listed institution", does that allow me to claim the 20 points from that category?

3. My bank account balances have varied greatly over the last couple month having made large purchases. I can transfer money into my personal account from my wife's account asap to meet the 2800.-pounds that are now required to be present for three months, but I have a small conflict.  The letter I have from the institution where I studied in the UK, had notified me of completion on October 1st 2007, but I'll have to keep the required funds in my account for the next three months, which brings me to about the first week or two of December 2008 for when I'll be clear to apply for the visa. Is there any consideration given, considering the circumstances?  My study visa had also expired during the first month of 2008.

If my diploma is not recognised, being that it's from an independent school, I'll be short 20 points but if my application is submitted 2 months later than the 12 months allowed from notification of the course completion, I'll be short 15 points.  If I can claim one of these categories, I'll have either 75 points or 80 points.

My wife is a teacher and would probably come to the UK at a later date but will likely apply for here own visa, when she's ready. Will I still have to claim her as a dependent?  Also, how does the new points system apply to a teacher that has previous teaching experience in the UK? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Re: International Graduate Programme/ points system for post study work
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »
1. Is the visa still available for a period of two years?
IGS was 1 year.  The new PSW scheme is 2 years.

2. The college I received my Postgraduate Diploma from is an independent college but examined by a "listed institution", does that allow me to claim the 20 points from that category?
No.  The College you studied at needs to be a recognised or listed body.

3. My bank account balances have varied greatly over the last couple month having made large purchases. I can transfer money into my personal account from my wife's account asap to meet the 2800.-pounds that are now required to be present for three months, but I have a small conflict.  The letter I have from the institution where I studied in the UK, had notified me of completion on October 1st 2007, but I'll have to keep the required funds in my account for the next three months, which brings me to about the first week or two of December 2008 for when I'll be clear to apply for the visa. Is there any consideration given, considering the circumstances? 
No.

My wife is a teacher and would probably come to the UK at a later date but will likely apply for here own visa, when she's ready. Will I still have to claim her as a dependent?
No.

how does the new points system apply to a teacher that has previous teaching experience in the UK?
It depends which application you are talking about. The UK website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/ is very informative. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:33:59 AM by sah10406 »

• Banned

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
Some independent colleges are accredited, but you need to check.  And you need to check both the status of the college (DFES list) and the accreditation of the actual course.

Vicky

Sponsored Links