Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PLEASE HELP Boyfriend Coming Over In June, Don't Want Him To Go Back To USA  (Read 20280 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: PLEASE HELP Boyfriend Coming Over In June, Don't Want Him To Go Back To USA
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
Well, I told them that I was here visiting friends. I can't remember but they didn't ask if I had money. Just how long I was gonna stay and if I had proof of going back home and I did. return ticket. I did tell them that my mom was gonna wire me money monthly. I think... It was a smooth process. Mostly because I did have a return ticket.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »
Also can someone please clarify a few issues on passports please?  I still haven't got it straight in my head I'm sorry.  They entitle you to come over for 6 months right? 

A US passport doesn't entitle you to 6 months. It is up to the discretion of the immigration officer. Most tourists are granted a 6 month stamp, but it is not something you are entitled to.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
I came over on just my passport. Visitors. I got stamped for 6 months. I lived of my fiance. (sounds bad.lol.) He earns 900£ a month after taxes and he's been able to support me. It's usually down if you can support him when he's there on the visitors visa. If you don't mind me asking, How much do you earn monthly? What do you do?

Right Moonfaery, so you came over on a visitors VISA and not just your passport is that right? No I don't mind feeling what I do and how much I earn and stuff at all!  :D I work for the Equality & Human Rights Commission in the Capital City of Wales, Cardiff. I work on their helpline, taking calls from anyone who has suffered any type of discrimination, wishing to know their rights or equality issues in general.  I'm disabled myself you see, reliant upon a motorised wheelchair, have Cerebral Palsy but it's not severe and I never let it get in my way. I just can't walk and my right arm and hand is messed up.  Not in work at the mo though coz I've had trouble with my kidneys - totally unrelated to my disability just came out of nowhere type thing but itching to get back on Monday providing I'm well enough.

I earn around the £890 mark a month but have a few saving commitments and obligations to my parents not that many though.  It works out as just over £12,000 a year before tax I think BUT this is a new job, I only started in October and it'll be increased to just over £15,000 a year as soon as the terms and conditions have been agreed and my pay is being back-dated since Oct until they are agreed.  I think I could provide for him I don't spend to extravagantly or anything like that and happy to do whatever it takes BUT my Mam has different views.  As Brandon would be living in the family home, she wants him to contribute as much as possible and don't want him sitting around 24/7 type thing you know but that might be the only way if I want to be with him it seems but to my Mam he'd just be sponging off me when that's not the case at all and I have no idea how to make everyone happy.  :(

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »

And as well as this, you also need to be aware that the rules are likely to change so that 3 month is the maximum that a visitor can stay.

Vicky

I have a question: what happens to those already in the country when the rule changes? Do they get the full six months or will they have to leave within 90 days?
Terri P O'Neale

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 03:01:13 PM »
Terri - changes shouldn't be retrospective.

Vicky

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »
Well, I told them that I was here visiting friends. I can't remember but they didn't ask if I had money. Just how long I was gonna stay and if I had proof of going back home and I did. return ticket. I did tell them that my mom was gonna wire me money monthly. I think... It was a smooth process. Mostly because I did have a return ticket.

Ahhh right ok so as long as we ensure we get a return ticket, say he's visiting friends and notmention girl friend or fiance, say his mam will wire money when required and that he'll be returning to the US in November right???

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »
Mindy is absolutely right.  A friend's girlfriend was bounced two weeks ago.  The silly thing, in casual conversation with the immigration officer, innocently asked "so what would I have to do if I wanted to work here?" and got shipped on the next plane home.  US nationals get bounced more than any other.

And as well as this, you also need to be aware that the rules are likely to change so that 3 month is the maximum that a visitor can stay.

Vicky

Thank you Vicky and Mindy but he does work now in the US infact it's his 1st day today and he is saving/has some savings so do you think that would be proof enough?

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
A US passport doesn't entitle you to 6 months. It is up to the discretion of the immigration officer. Most tourists are granted a 6 month stamp, but it is not something you are entitled to.

OK Thank you so much for letting me know but how do you get in touch with the immigration officer?  Is that someone Brandon'd meet once he arrived in the UK or something?

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
Yes seems about right. Just answer the questions that are asked. Don't ramble on.lol. Tell him not too anyways. But yes, he will only be visiting. They do sometimes try to trick you.Like, " oh so, how are you gonna have money? did you have a job back home?" I said yes, I have a job back home and they will accept me back because I'm good at what I do. and I have some savings and in case if I need money, I will be wired some.  I think your bf will be fine.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
Vicky,

When are these new rule changes to 3 months likely to come into effect please?

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »
Yes seems about right. Just answer the questions that are asked. Don't ramble on.lol. Tell him not too anyways. But yes, he will only be visiting. They do sometimes try to trick you.Like, " oh so, how are you gonna have money? did you have a job back home?" I said yes, I have a job back home and they will accept me back because I'm good at what I do. and I have some savings and in case if I need money, I will be wired some.  I think your bf will be fine.

Thank you so very much I'll be sure to tell him but when does he have to have this chat about why and how he's visiting etc?  Who is it with and where please?

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
No one on this site is going to be able to assure you that he will have no problems, and that he will be allowed in for 6 full months. The burden is on the two of you to be prepared to prove your case if he gets questioned. Currently most tourists receive a 6 month stamp when they enter the country without a problem. However, as I stated above, no one is entitled to this, and there is no way to guarantee that you will receive this when you go through immigration at the airport.

Coming in for a long period of time arouses suspicion. The first way to alleviate this is to have a return ticket. Your boyfriend should also be prepared to show that he has plenty of money to support himself during his trip. He should also not lie under any circumstances to immigration. Don't volunteer information, but if asked who he is visiting, he should be honest. There is nothing wrong with coming to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance, but it will arouse suspicion, and once again, you must find ways to mitigate this.

If you are very concerned, you may want to look into applying for a visitor's visa at a US consulate. I'm not sure what the going rate is for those.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:15:31 PM by kate_mate »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
Nocturn - I don't know when the rules are coming in...it hasn't been decided yet.

But I am DEEPLY concerned with some of the advice given on here.  Lying to immigration officers is not really a good idea.  For example, I know someone who said that there were in the UK to visit 'friends'.  She didn't realise that, on the other side of the fence, her fiance was saying "I am waiting for my fiancee, she's going to stay for six months then we might get married".  And she got bounced.

Vicky

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »
Thank you Vicky and Mindy but he does work now in the US infact it's his 1st day today and he is saving/has some savings so do you think that would be proof enough?

Sorry, honey.  I very rarely give advice on here as I did it so long ago.  Someone else might be able to tell you how much they came in with though.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
No one on this site is going to be able to assure you that he will have no problems, and that he will be allowed in for 6 full months. The burden is on the two of you to be prepared to prove your case if he gets questioned. Currently most tourists receive a 6 month stamp when they enter the country without a problem. However, as I stated above, no one is entitled to this, and there is no way to guarantee that you will receive this when you go through immigration at the airport.

Coming in for a long period of time arouses suspicion. The first way to alleviate this is to have a return ticket. Your boyfriend should also be prepared to show that he has plenty of money to support himself during his trip. He should also not lie under any circumstances to immigration. Don't volunteer information, but if asked who he is visiting, he should be honest. There is nothing wrong with coming to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance, but it will arouse suspicion, and once again, you must find ways to mitigate this.

If you are very concerned, you may want to look into applying for a visitor's visa at a US consulate. I'm not sure what the going rate is for those.

Thank you this has been very helpful.  Do you think it would decrease suspicion if it was from June 10th til Sept 10th, that's only 3 months.  When asked about the financial situation should he mention that I could provide for him, in the sense of providing accomodation, that I work full-time etc OR just stick to thing like he has a job in Indiana, savings and will be wired money from those savings when necessary.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab