Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The UKY flag  (Read 5695 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: The UKY flag
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 05:24:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's possible to make images on your website difficult to copy for those not in the know...  I don't think anyone should be judged for using them if they're not protected that way.

That's a bit like saying a shop owner should expect to have his candy bars stolen because he didn't lock them down.  Bit silly,eh?

This is the internet, it's going to happen.

Doesn't make it right, though.  That's why there's copyright laws.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »
The Stars and Stripes blending into a Union Jack is a really common graphic device. You should be able to find many examples through an images.google.com search. When you find one you like, email the site owner and ask if you can pinch it.

It's worked for me many times, and no hard feelings.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
Ok....geez....sorry I asked!  :o

But ok.....I'll use an avatar on here if it bothers you so much!

Oh right....the moving avatar doesn't work here...I'll have to find another!

I think the point was that you were politely asked by a moderator to ask permission first and not only didn't you, but you totally ignored her. 

• all married n' stuff
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
That's a bit like saying a shop owner should expect to have his candy bars stolen because he didn't lock them down.  Bit silly,eh?

Doesn't make it right, though.  That's why there's copyright laws.

They should certainly expect it if they leave their doors and windows wide open and their shop untended.  Also, shop owners rarely share merchandise for free, here people do it all the time.

Laws that protect those who go through the process of copyrighting.
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
I believe you'll find that you needn't file a copyright application to actually own the copyright to the work.

They should certainly expect it if they leave their doors and windows wide open and their shop untended.  Also, shop owners rarely share merchandise for free, here people do it all the time.

Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »
Furthermore, in this case, your analogy of keeping the doors and windows open doesn't fly because TykeMan actually posted on the site asking how to get the logo. He was then politely asked to contact Leah.

I'm not even going to address the rest of your argument. Unfortunately, copyrighting and intellectual property that is now so readily available on the internet is a HUGE issue that you seem to be oversimplifying and it's not appropriate to debate it here.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
Goodness, I don't pretend to be an expert, I was just stating an opinion, and trying to defend someone who was jumped on somewhat harshly in my opinion.  I guess after hovering for only a few weeks I shouldn't have felt entitled to do so yet...

I really enjoy this message board, and have found it very helpful, but sometimes it seems like those who have not been here forever and don't know the rules or who's who get jumped awfully quickly.  I don't mean my posts either.

An edit:  I wonder if maybe some differences on the board arise from people viewing posts in different ways...?  I guess I was being conversational instead of researching to form a serious argument, and was understandably incorrect.  But, if I were having a face to face conversation, there would be a different kind of dialog, you know, "actually, this...," "Oh really?  I didn't know, well, what about this..."  *sigh*  That's what makes expressing yourself on the internet so difficult I guess.  Just a little thought  :-\\\\
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:35:11 PM by helle_chic »
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »
I also think a few posters were a bit harsh on Tykeman. We've all read his posts and he seems to be a kind gentleman. I don't believe he would intentionally do anything to upset or offend anyone on here.      :-\\\\

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »
I agree. TykeMan took it down as soon as he was asked. I'm not sure how else he was supposed to have handled it.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
Thank you Pebbles, Mort and Helle Chic for those words.

It was not my intention to cause any problems, I merely wished to use, what I felt was, a very cool logo for my avatar on my football clubs message board which I frequent much more than here and have posted on for about 10 years in it's various guises. I thought it would be a nice way to some my link to the US and of course to 1 very special lady in particular.

For your information I am not using it.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

Copyright is automatically protected under international law. All you really have to do is state that you own it. You can register copyright in the UK which will serve as evidence of copyright but even if you haven't, you are still protected.

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »
Oy, are we still talking about this?  ::)  I believe all people guilty of asking the unthinkable or lack of serious research before posting have admitted defeat and backed off, can we be done now?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »
They should certainly expect it if they leave their doors and windows wide open and their shop untended. 

Unless there is a large sign saying "Everything in shop is free" - no, they shouldn't have to expect it.  People with morals would not steal even in that situation.  People without morals will steal in any situation.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
I agree...  But even the most optimistic have to realize that not everyone in the world shares their moral standards.  Where I grew up on a small island, we never locked our doors, we never had to.  Clearly now that I live in London things have changed.  And as for the internet, I pay for my music and movies etc., and like to use my own images, but I am also well aware that there are plenty of people out there...  Possibly the majority, who don't 100% of the time.  It's unfortunate, yes, but who can deny it?  Nothing gives people the right to steal, but they will, so all we can do is police the best we can and take care to protect ourselves.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
How do i go about getting permission to use this as a tattoo on my toosh?

AHAHAH I'm kidding.  But really, I almost did get it as one!  OK I'm exiting back to my side of the Atlantic where I belong ;)

Sponsored Links