Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: need help obtaining a letter of good conduct from u.s. embassy in the u.k.  (Read 2392 times)

• Liked: 0
hello,

i recently immigrated to the u.k. from the states and my wife is starting her own business and we've hit a snag. i've been told i need to obtain a letter of good conduct from the american embassy and being that this site has been so much help for me in the past i was wondering if there is anyone on here with info on how i can get the letter.

thanks,
                                           aftershock

• Liked: 4
I don't know about getting that letter.  I haven't heard of that before.  Is it for a specific reason?  I'm an American in the UK and I own my own business here and never needed anything like that. If it's personal, you don't have to tell us about it.  I just thought it was odd, especially if your wife is from the UK (you didn't say) and she's the one starting the business, not you.

ya learn something every day...

Would you provide more details on the requirement for a 'letter of good conduct'?  Stuff like who says they need it, aand what corpus of rules they are reading from? 

• Liked: 0
Hi, sorry for the delay, she is registering to be a childminder, so its understandable, that ofsted have to do all the right checks, we have both filled in the forms for the cbr checks, but they say as i have not lived in the UK for 5+ years,  that i need to apply to the American Embassy for a "certificate of good conduct"

It's a job thing?  It might be better to try the Jobs area.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
Hi, sorry for the delay, she is registering to be a childminder, so its understandable, that ofsted have to do all the right checks, we have both filled in the forms for the cbr checks, but they say as i have not lived in the UK for 5+ years,  that i need to apply to the American Embassy for a "certificate of good conduct"

I work in childcare (at a playgroup not as a childminder) and started doing so about a year after I'd moved to the UK.  In the several CRB checks I've had done I've never been asked for a "certificate of good conduct".  Weird.
Maroon Passport Club!

I also work in an area (social work) that requires background checks.  I don't believe there is any such thing as a "letter of good conduct" from the US Embassy.  How would they know anything about your life in the States?  I suspect what they are looking for is an FBI background check.  I got one from the state I moved from, but I believe you can order one direct from the FBI (for a price).  That should clear up any doubts about her criminal history or lack therof :)

• Liked: 2
I wonder if this is along the lines of what I had to get with my CRB check in order to work with children?

If so, you have to go to the Police Dept in the town/city where you reside/resided in the US, then they do a local search to check out if you've been arrested. Then they give you a signed, authorised letter. Cost about $5.00???

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

Stephanie,

How long ago was this? I only had to give the US addresses covering the period, they never asked me to contact the various police departments where I'd lived.  This was on various CRB checks in 2006 and 2007.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 2
Hi,

This just happened to be in October when I applied for a CRB in a new town I moved to. Luckily, I was going home to Calif so I was able to do it in person..you can do it via post but it takes a while to get the authorised note to you.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

Might be a new-ish thing then.  Think my most recent one was in September when I started this job.
Maroon Passport Club!

I just had a CRB check last month for working with children's services and they didn't ask me for anything for my time in the States--they felt they had legally covered what they needed to by just having the CRB done, but there have been jobs that seemed relieved that I had a background check from before I left just in case there was any question.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab