Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Homesick and Lonely  (Read 11453 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Homesick and Lonely
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2003, 05:13:16 PM »
Cynda, since I first started this thread things have brightened up considerably for me!  I guess I was just in the throes of the "blues" that we'd been warned about, once the excitement of moving and getting settled was over.  I still don't have many what I would consider close friends, but I do have some aquaintances that I am slowly becoming better friends with.  I have also become active with volunteering in my son's school, and have become more active with my Jr. League volunteer stuff.  I MAKE myself get out there and do things, even if sometimes I just feel like staying home and hibernating.  I've also gotten back into my crafty projects, and am having a lot of fun doing that.  

Hang in there, Cynda!

Stephanie

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2003, 03:39:45 AM »
I have no problem making friends in states.and I feel OK am I that freaking deformed that NO one wants to be friends with me...I dunno what to think..

This really struck me. I'm having these same problems making friends. I don't know if it's London, or the UK, or what, but even when I felt like I finally met some like-minded people (I joined a writing group a few months ago), I find it really difficult to feel connected.

One thing I noticed is that people in the UK don't ask questions. Maybe it's a politeness thing, or maybe I give out shyness vibes, but no one when they meet me for the first time asks about me. I have been asked maybe twice what I do for a living (not much, being unemployed!), or what hobbies I enjoy, or anything. I know I'm not much of a conversationalist myself, but I wonder at the non-curiosity of people when they meet me. Since I haven't been asked, I feel worried that asking other people what they do for a living or about their families is rude, too.

Somedays I feel like I need to get a job just to find more people to talk to. Luckily, I plan to 'pound the pavement' seeking a job next month when I return from a trip to the States.

How else does anyone here meet people and form friendships? I've done a few quilting classes and I've joined the writing group, and I even tried to cultivate conversations with my husband's co-workers.  I'm guessing friendships in the UK take a bit longer to form and stick.(?) Hopefully, though, once they're made they last longer?

Good luck Cynda. I don't think you should worry so much about being a foreigner, just keep reaching out, and maybe eventually someone will reach back.
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2003, 10:39:09 PM »
:)group hug :)
I have been an off and on resident of the UK (southwest, devon area) for more than 10 years now. The last four have been nonstop and the hardest.

The unfriendly friendlyness, the lack of diversity, choice and weather are all beginning to wear me down to a nub.

I read all of the posts and felt my heart expand and warm slightly (June 2nd and I am still using the heat).

I have to say that i am wondering if this is where I want to spend the prime of my life, getting stared at if I rollerblade, or scooter.

eeuch.
I just wanted to thank everyone who posted, for sharing their feelings and helping me to feel less alone in the lonliness.

:-*
wage peace
courage is accepting others with grace

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2003, 11:47:19 PM »
I am trying to find positive things here, I'm really bummed out today cause of failing my driving test..but there is always next time..I was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanting to pass and when I pulled into the parking lot after driving with the examiner I REALLY felt as if I did well..and to hear I failed just gutted me..

I though YES..after I get my licence I can go out and do things...but this is a minor set back and will get back on the horse again tomorrow..

Cynda Gunn

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2003, 04:36:28 AM »
I was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanting to pass and when I pulled into the parking lot after driving with the examiner I REALLY felt as if I did well..and to hear I failed just gutted me.

Cynda, I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass your test. I hope you keep trying, and pass soon. Keep thinking positive thoughts, and hopefully things will start looking up. I know I always start feeling better with the nicer weather.

So, everybody join me in a chorus of 'Rain, rain, go away'...

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2003, 04:40:34 AM »
I have to say that i am wondering if this is where I want to spend the prime of my life, getting stared at if I rollerblade, or scooter.

Hurrah, another rollerblader. I don't know if it's any better in your part of the country, pondhopper, but wish I had a nice patch of pavement to skate on. And I know exactly what you're saying about being stared at. The best I can do is go fast enough not to notice the looks on their faces. Perhaps if we convert more people to the sport, there'll be less leering and more cheering.  ???

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2003, 11:14:35 AM »
You're more then welcome to come to my get together July 19th..any of you ladies that want to can come..it isnt just for Milton Keynes folks...it is just a get together to meet others.

Unfortuantly my dog isn't real keen on children yet..we just got her in Jan. and she came from abused home...

Pot luck..bring a covered dish *with something in it* and your fav. beverage..

all welcome.
Cynda Gunn

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab