Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: establishing credit  (Read 3529 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
establishing credit
« on: April 20, 2004, 10:00:16 PM »
I was wondering about the best ways to establish credit here. I've heard that a lot of companies use a credit checking firm that bases your score on your electoral roll registry. We actually found this out when my DF (who's British) couldnt' rent a truck at Sixt Kenning. He had moved around so much as a University student, he just didn't register with the electoral roll. And of course I can't register (though can I once I have my FLR?). He is registered now...

DF's also done all his banking (checking, savings, loans, credit card) through HSBC who only report to Experian and a lot of places use Equifax. We found that out when we were looking at mortgages. We're so confused! We'd like to buy a house in a couple years but we're worried that with my immigration status and his banking preferences to date, we may have a hard time.

What are your experiences? ???
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Re: establishing credit
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 06:28:03 AM »
You cant be on the electoral roll unless you are a UK or EU citizen... FLR wont cut it, Im afraid.

I started building my credit in the UK (i wish i'd never started!), by getting a couple of catalogue accounts.  I started with Freemans & JD Williams.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:20:08 AM »
Same here...I started with personal accounts from catalogues and a charge card from a clothing store.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 09:12:43 AM »
Same as Broxi and Lolabola - catalogues and I got an Evans card, which is good at Wallis, Topshop, Topman, Burtons, Dorothy Perkins and Bhs as well as Evans online.

However - I have found out that it is possible to get listed on the electoral rolls as a "non-voter" - it's just a pain in the a** to get it done.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »
We established credit in the UK by getting a credit card through our bank (HSBC), using it, and paying it; and paying our utilities, Sky, telephone, etc. on time.   It took over a year before other UK companies would extend credit to us.

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 12:35:56 AM »
It sounds as if establishing credit in the UK is very similar to the US then, with the exception of the electoral roll.  Do they ever check your US records at all?  (Say if you want a Visa or American Express there, do they check your US Visa or American Express, etc. accounts?).  Just wondering as I've been trying to get my credit history established little by little here over the past few years.  I've always been good and never missed a payment on my credit cards, etc.  I'm guessing that counts for diddly squat in the UK, but thought I would ask.

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 03:24:05 AM »
I've no idea if it will help at all, but I had heard that Equifax is commonly used in the UK. So I've ordered my free up to date Equifax report from the US before I move over. Hopefully the fact it's a related company may help? I'm assuming it's related anyway. :)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:06:26 AM »
Far as I'm aware US credit carries no weight over here. My experience is that UK banks are a bit dismissive of US banking practices anyway but that's another story! Missy, I'm not sure the US Equifax is the UK one but I really don't know. I guess it can't hurt to have it with you though!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 06:15:34 PM »
However - I have found out that it is possible to get listed on the electoral rolls as a "non-voter" - it's just a pain in the a** to get it done.

WOT?!?!  How?!
I've seen the forms when they come through, and they definitely say that if you are not a UK or EU citizen, you are not allowed to put your name on the form.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 06:18:34 PM »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 08:52:29 PM »
Broxi, Garry (transpondia) apparently managed it - he did warn that it took AGES and lots of not taking NO for an answer.  But he got it done.  I haven't started looking into it yet, myself.  But as soon as I do, I'll post more info on it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 09:39:04 PM »
It just sort of seems that if you're paying taxes, you ought to be able to at least get on the roll even if you aren't allowed to vote. And I only say that because it's the obvious reaction to whomever had the brainiac idea to have credit based on electoral roll. I just don't get that. Espcially given how many expats (of all nations) are in this country.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 06:31:18 AM »
It just sort of seems that if you're paying taxes, you ought to be able to at least get on the roll even if you aren't allowed to vote. And I only say that because it's the obvious reaction to whomever had the brainiac idea to have credit based on electoral roll. I just don't get that. Espcially given how many expats (of all nations) are in this country.

They use it as a way to verify a person's identity with their address.  We recently ordered our credit reports and it was amazing what we found.  One person on my husband's credit record who has the address next door, not even our address. 

Missy, I ordered my credit report from Equifax and nothing about my US credit was on it.  Quite frankly, I've had creditors SAY they will check credit history for other countries, but then they never do. 

• Back again
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 09:01:24 AM »
What about when you buy a house/get a mortgage? Will they automatically check your US credit then?

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »
No, Jen...  they wont.  Your US credit doesnt exist as far as UK banks and building societies are concerned.

Sponsored Links