Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship form questions  (Read 956 times)

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
Citizenship form questions
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
Ok Ok I know I'm getting ahead of myself here as my ILR just arrived today and I can't go for citizenship until September but I took a look at the notes and form AN and had a few questions. http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_an.pdf

1.20 Show how you intend to satisfy the requirements to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK
I passed the Life in the Uk test for ILR, should I tick "I passed the Life in the Uk test for settlement"?  Or just fill in my test confirmation number on the line above and enclose the receipt?

1.21 to 1.28 Details of your parents
Even though my parents are both American I still need to fill this in right?

1.36 to 1.41 If you were previously married or in a civil partnership
Obviously need to put my ex-husband's info here.  In 1.41 where it asks for "reason for the ending" do I just put "divorce"? Or does it need to be more specific?

2.4 Please provide your addresses for the past five years
Since I'll be applying after 3 years in the UK due to being married to a British Citizen, do I put addresses fort the last five or the last three? In reading the notes it sounds like five.

5.1 Referees
One has to have professional standing, the other must have a British Passport and EITHER have professional standing OR be over 25.  So if I have our Pastor as the first and ask my husband's best friend (assuming he has a passport) they should satisfy that right?
Maroon Passport Club!

Re: Citizenship form questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
The divorce info should include the fully qualified reference.  I.e., who issued it, when, docket number or whatever they use in that particular state.

Otherwise fine.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:06:06 PM »
I'm sending in my application form at the end of next week, after getting it checked on Friday.  For what it's worth, I think:

1.20  Tick the box about doing the test, and enter your test confirmation number as well.

1.21 to 1.28  I think they're being very nosy here, if you know that you have no claim to British nationality through your parents.  I have the info ready, but I will ask when I get the form checked if it is really necessary.

2.4  The notes say 5 years, but if you only need to be here for 3, then who knows?  For me this was really easy, since we've been at the same address for the last 12 years.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
The divorce info should include the fully qualified reference.  I.e., who issued it, when, docket number or whatever they use in that particular state.

Otherwise fine.

Thanks Garry.  So I can just put Divorce, December whatever it was 2001, Maricopa County Court Phoenix AZ (I'll have to dig out my copy to get the details but you get the idea) I don't have to give a REASON for the divorce LOL
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
I had the same question about addresses for the past 3/5 years, since it seems weird (to me anyway) to have to give (let alone remember) my addresses in the States before I moved here.

However, I just rang the Home Office and they confirmed that we have to provide addresses for the past five years, even if they're outside the UK and our application is based on 3 years' residence. Go figure! I wonder what they do with our US address information?  ???

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
I won't have any problem with remembering five years of addresses since I work with children and have had to list some of my US addresses on my CRB checks, but it's good to have confirmation that it is definitely five years worth they want from everyone.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
If this was from the nationality team in Liverpool it is probably accurate.  If it is from the general line in Croydon, it may not be.

I'd do whatever those who have recently naturalised did.

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »
I got it from the Nationality Contact Centre. I presume that's Liverpool, not Croydon. She sounded pretty certain on the phone, but I still don't really understand the logic. Oh well.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
They need the past addresses regardless of what country you have been in because the background check has to go back at least 5 years without any unexplained gaps.

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 08:45:07 AM »
Sorry can we jump in on this one we just wanted to find out (we have asked somewhere else) but when I got my ILR the lady we talked to said that you could only apply for Citizenship 1 year from the date of your ILR, now I have been here since October 2005 with a month were we went out the country to the USA to get married then came back, I have a stamp from October 05 this was a visa waiver for 6 months I stayed the full 6 months then as the above, can I use this to apply sooner for my Citizenship or is this lady correct and I will need to wait till April 09 to apply?.

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
The lady is wrong.  You can apply in October 2008.  There is no need for a 12 month period on ILR if apply for citizenship as the spouse of a UK national.

Vicky

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
Thanks Vicky.

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

Sponsored Links