Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: education issues  (Read 877 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
education issues
« on: April 22, 2004, 06:15:53 PM »
OK, I'm not a parent (yet!) but one of the things I've been very interested in is the differences in the UK and US educations systems (not talking about higher ed in this case). My overall impression so far of the UK has been negative based on the DF's personal experience and the news stories I hear these days. I've also noticed some interesting threads on UKY.

Anyway, this article caught my eye and it's pretty scary IMO. Just thought I'd share it as I wasn't aware the US was getting so test driven:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32348-2004Apr21.html
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: education issues
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:55:17 PM »
The local political cartoonist where my mother lives in Florida has done MANY cartoons over the past few YEARS about the FCAT and how much damage it ultimately does to the students and teachers as so much depends on it.  That's one of the reasons I was so eager to get my kids out of that school system.  Mind you, I only speak of the Lee County Florida school system and school board.  And my mother works in the teacher's union office, so I've heard more than I probably should have...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 08:48:34 AM »
I personally think the article is a bit biased.  I've worked with the No Child Left Behind legislation, and I think, on the whole, it's a wonderful idea.

The article doesn't say anything about the testing population--EVERY child is not made to take the standardized tests.  Students with documented learning disabilities are not made to take the tests (in the most severe cases) and those who do take the tests are given modifications.  The tests are read to them, they are given up to 200% of the time to complete the test, and/or they are given the option to take the test multiple times.  In fact, ALL students may repeat the test if they failed it the first time they took it (with the exception of students who have already failed the teacher's class--they obviously don't know the material anyway and have already failed, so there's no point in taking the test again).

The tests themselves are common sense--made up of material appropriate for the grade level (usually focused a bit lower, honestly).  In my opinion, any student who can't pass those tests shouldn't move on to the next grade level until they've mastered the material--that's the main problem with the US education system these days--kids and parents are used to social promotions and teachers who let things slide.  The NCLB legislation gets rid of the loopholes---learn the material, or you won't move up until you do.  I can't see anything wrong with that!

I will freely admit that the NCLB testing does put some pressure on teachers.  The first year I dealt with it, I was terrified...I didn't understand the formulas and had no idea how my students would perform.  I was pleasantly surprised though--I taught the curriculum and every one of my students (180) passed...ALL levels of students...honors, standard, and remedial.  My students with learning disabilities did take advantage of their modifications, and they all passed as well.

The high school I taught at implemented NCLB before it was legally required and I think it was a wonderful idea.  The kids now know what to expect and so do the teachers.  As a result, that high school is the first high school to be recognized as a school of excellence by the state, which is a HUGE deal for a high school!

As for cutting extracurriculars like art and music, well, I have mixed feelings on that.  I loved band and art class when I was in high school, and I would have missed them if they weren't offered....BUT, there were kids making As in those classes and failing their academic subjects.  What good did that do them?  As the principal in the article said, she has to look for where she can get the most bang for her buck.  I'd rather have a nation of literate people rather than a nation of people who can play the clarinet.

Just my opinion.   :-[

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 01:46:03 PM »
Hi Lola, loved your feedback on this! It's why I posted it (I only taught at Uni level in the US). Anyway, my internet connection is messed up today (I'm actually online at a library today *giggle*) but I will post more as I find this really interesting. I totally agree that advancement has been a huge problem so adherance to certain standards is good. I just think a school without an 'enrichment' classes is a very bad place to be... but more on this later!  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »
I just think a school without an 'enrichment' classes is a very bad place to be... but more on this later!  :)

Oh, I absolutley agree with you on that.  But in so many cases, with such limited budgets, it really comes down to the basic priorities.  I hope that schools (along w/ students and parents) will eventually get their butts into gear--that way the testing will be a doddle and they can go back to focusing on the big picture (i.e., including music, art, vocational classes, etc.).

Sponsored Links