Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Queries about budgeting  (Read 1545 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Queries about budgeting
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
As has been posted recently, a figure that ECO's use is at least £92.80 per week (the amount of income support for a couple) after rent and bills (so food costs, transportation and everything else).  From my calculations it looks like you have less than that so that might be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:05:20 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
Well, you know, that's how forums work!  ;D 

You know better than anyone else how much your house costs will run you - none of us (with the exception of TykeMan, perhaps - I know he's a Barnsley supporter at least!) live in your exact area or in your house. :)   Same goes for bus transport and phones - you take the local buses and work for T-Mobile, we figure you know what you're talking about.  That really just leaves food and toiletries to discuss! 

If I may ask, how much do you, yourself, currently spend per month on food and toiletries?

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
Very little. I'm yet to actually move into said house - I just got it last weekend and am currently staying at my auntie's house, who lives somewhat on the more comfortable and cushy side of life and earns quite a bit, so she tends to splash out. I've budgeted before and been able to eat quite comfortably (admittedly not terribly healthily) for about £20 a week.

The estimates I've got have been VERY generous with most figures, except probably food. The extra's can also be dropped if needed. :)

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »
If I were you, I'd drop the Virgin package and add the extra £30 to the food budget.   Then again, this may well be what garry means by painting a picture - drawing up a budget based not on reality but on what you think the ECO wants to see.  It's a bit of a double-edged sword, really.  :-\\\\  Do you or your fiancee have any money in savings?

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
I've budgeted before and been able to eat quite comfortably (admittedly not terribly healthily) for about £20 a week.

Well, if that's just you that works out to slightly over £80 a month, right?  So I think it would make sense that another person there would add to the food bill fairly significantly (maybe not double it, but at least add another £40-50 or so?)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
It won't be on what the ECO wants to see, lol. I sat down and spent quite a while drawing up this budget with input from my aunt about costs of things in her house - the gas and electric are actually the costs HERE, in a three bed detached house. So mine is BOUND to work out cheaper in a 2 bed terrace.

Springhaze, you may be right on that point. Although we should both be able to eat EASILY on £100 a month because of what little she actually eats.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
It won't be on what the ECO wants to see, lol. I sat down and spent quite a while drawing up this budget with input from my aunt about costs of things in her house - the gas and electric are actually the costs HERE, in a three bed detached house. So mine is BOUND to work out cheaper in a 2 bed terrace.

Obviously, there's not much you can do about the rent and bills, because those costs are pretty much fixed (you can't really decrease or increase them to add money to other parts of the budget), but it's the rest of the budget that the ECO is concerned about.

The ECO's are looking for a reasonable amount for food/toiletries for 2 people, plus, as springhaze mentioned, about £400 left over at the end of the month after everything else in the budget has been accounted for. As stated in your OP, you'll only have about £98 left per month after all other expenses, which is not generally considered to be enough for visa approval . These two areas (food and left over disposable income) are likely to be where you'll into problems.

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
Do you know anyone that currently lives in a 2br terrace that could give you more accurate numbers for the utilities?  There's no sense in allotting more to gas, electric, etc. than you really need - especially not when other areas of your budget need the money more.

My husband is the ultimate bargain shopper - his grocery expenses were probably around £100 a month, including lots of tinned soup and curry as well as plenty of milk and fresh veg.  When I moved over, our grocery expenses went up to around £250-£300 a month - partly because I eat more meat than he does, but largely because where he fixed a half a can of soup for dinner before, we now cook together most nights.  Last night we had stirfry that fed us both well and probably cost a fiver to make, but even eating like that for a month is £150 just for dinners!

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
Do you know anyone that currently lives in a 2br terrace that could give you more accurate numbers for the utilities?  There's no sense in allotting more to gas, electric, etc. than you really need - especially not when other areas of your budget need the money more.

Sadly not. :(
I'm still pretty new to the area, to be honest, and don't know anyone who lives in a 2 bed terrace which is a shame because I'm sure it'd be very helpful. Perhaps I should knock on someones door and ask? lol

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
(typing this AGAIN! having the worst time logging in here lately  :\\\'( )
We live in a 3 bedroom mid terrace at present and pay £35 a month for gas. Only used for central heating and hot water but as it's a direct debit we pay the same amount in summer even when we obviously use less gas. This adds up and pays for the more expensive winter months and we only ended up owing an extra £7 this year. The electrics however seem about right as this is double what we pay for gas.
For the £80 a month for food. Yes I agree it's possible but not fun. We've lived on £25 week before and that's with kids. Granted we probably still had some basics such as flour etc in the cabinets so that's probably not an accurate amount either. Regardless it wasn't fun and not something I'd want to do long term as I think it would drive me nuts.
Have you considered trying to get a weekend job stacking shelves or something to boost your income until your missus gets a job? A friend of mine did that and made £50 a week for 2 nights work. Not alot I know but an extra £200 a month would do wonders for your budget.
Anyway best of luck to you I hope it all works out. :)

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 09:19:34 PM »
Well that's where overtime comes into it. :)

My shifts change every month or so, so it would be nigh on impossible for me to hold down a second job. It's not possible to predict either, but I always get my 40 hours.

I'm actually hoping to be doing a considerable amount of overtime (in the region of 20 hours or so) which would help a lot. Plus there's bonuses per month also. :)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
As has been posted recently, a figure that ECO's use is at least £92.80 per week (the amount of income support for a couple) after rent and bills (so food costs, transportation and everything else).  From my calculations it looks like you have less than that so that might be a problem.

Thanks springhaze, and just to reiterate.

This is the ONLY figure that matters when considering expenditure after bills, rent, loan repayments.  If you try to argue that your grocery and general living expenditure is less than £92.80 for the two of you, the ECO is obliged to refuse.

In my experience, there is no harm at all in providing explanation of issues, and I have never seen an ECO refuse an application because it was taking him too long to look at.   But if you are arguing for less than £92.80 your arguments won't work.

Vicky

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
Okay, thanks Vicky. I'll do some more planning then.

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 10:52:05 PM »
Our Budget for 6 of us 4 children 2 adults every 10 days is between £100 and 150, depending on if we are being excessive we also buy from Makro, or at least we did and we would buy for the month there meat and fish ect about £100 approx. and we also bought bathroom stuff and cleaners as these are what really put your bills up.

We pay £39 a Month Gas all year round we only have heating on when cold really as this house is well insulated, and for water.

Ele is £40 a month all year round and like blackpool lights,
We have a 5/6 Bed house though we use number 6 as an office,
Petrol £120/130 a month though gone up slightly.
Council Tax £1100 approx. pa
Water rates £400 pa I think we pay this monthly
TV Licence if you have a TV in your house then you require one if they find you have one you will have to prove you do not use it and end up with great big fine.

Good luck, I would consider trying to save a little and ask your partner to do the same, it will give you piece of mind in the end sort of.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 01:36:36 AM »
Is the 92.80 after food and entertainment or before? 

Sponsored Links