Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Schools UK vs US how do they differ??  (Read 2428 times)

• Liked: 0
Schools UK vs US how do they differ??
« on: December 07, 2002, 10:35:58 PM »
Hello All  ;D

I would like to hear anything anyone has to say on the schools in the UK I have 2 girls one is in 6th & the other 9th I have no idea how different the schools will be for them or what we'll need to know to get them in , I do know they call them something other then greads like we do  :-/....

thanks for listening & anything you can tell me about this
     your all so nice here  [smiley=elf.gif]

Wild.....
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Re: Schools UK vs US how do they differ??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 01:22:24 PM »
I'll try to help you out here, but I must warn you that my only experience with US schools is as a student 20+years ago.  
The main difference in my opinion is the age thing.  Children usually start reception(kindergarten) when they are 'rising 5'.  This means they are in the school year September-August that they are going to TURN five.  In the US, it's after they've turned 5.  My children are 13, 12, and 5.  They are in years 1, 7, and 9.  Only the seventh grader would be in the same grade in the states(Sept. birthday).  The other two would be a year behind.   It is unheard of the hold a child back.  Children struggling in school do not get held back either.  
There is a huge emphasis on testing.  Children are tested in year 2 (SATS) year 6 (SATS) year 9 (SATS).  League tables of all the schools in the country are then made up judging on how well the schools did on the year 6 and year 9 SATS.  So these are VERY important, and alot of time (too much IMO) is spent revising (studying) for them.  In year 10, students start studying subjects they would like to study for GCSEs (more tests).  Mine haven't reached this stage yet, so someone else (Peedal?) would probably know more about it.  How well they do on these tests determines what they're going to do.  They can legally leave school at 16.  A levels are the tests they take to get into university.  They study for these for two years-taking exams called AS levels the first year and A levels the second years.   
Most schools wear uniforms.  It's in my opinion a more formal system in some ways, but things like recess are far less structured.  Mainstreaming seems to be years behind the states.  
Hope some of this helps.  Feel free to ask any questions.  We try our best to answer.  :)
Good luck
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 01:26:17 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 05:33:41 PM »
Hello Mindy ,

thanks for your help ...my only thing is My youngest she is disabled and becuase of the B/day thing statred school a year late and in 4th gread I kept her back they had started a harder math and she was not quit getting it so I didn't want her to have trouble later on , so I have no idea how that will work there see I didn't know if they would put her in you "grade" or with the age group?...see what I mean ...so much to worry about with moveing, you just don't know which one to start with [smiley=confused.gif]...but you all are helpful on here thank you .......HAPPY HOILDAYS  :-* :)

Debbie  [smiley=daisy.gif]

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 09:33:44 AM »
I'd talk to the education authority in the county you're moving to.  This sounds like something you'll need some solid answers on before moving.  It's possible that they'd be flexible in this case.  Good luck.  

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 09:57:05 PM »
hi wild...i have a daughter that i held back in kindergarten...her birthday falls late in the year and i felt she wasnt quite immature enough to advance to the first grade...although we are currently suspecting it to maybe a hidden underline problem.  (we are working with counsellors and doctors now to see).   anyway...as you may be aware of UK schools here are a year ahead of the US (example..if in 1st grade in the state they would be in year 2 in the UK).   I found this to be a very difficult situation with our daughter.  because when she enrolled in the schools here ...they took her current age and placed her in that age group. which was very difficult bkz in reality she is now officially 2yrs behind on her education.  our country will not hold children back, not even with parent consent.  fortunately for us....the schools have been very sympathetic with our situation.  they have placed her on the special needs register and she receives extra help with her studies.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 02:50:28 AM »
Hi Itsbcoz,

Thanks for the Info , the way Mark and I figured it is that Meg would be one year behind there becuase of the B/day thing so I'm hopping that if they do put her in her age group it's only one grade up from where she is now ....we also have the handicap issue to deal with , she will be mainsrteamed!!! shes not mentally behind just physical behind & thats a fight I will have I KNOW , but I'm a fighter and will do what I have to too see that she gets what she needs ... I really hope all works out well with your daughter , please let me know how things are ok .... ;D

Thanks again ,
   Wild  [smiley=daisy.gif]

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 09:19:20 AM »
Debbie,
If your daughter is turning 13 this month. Then she would be in year 8 (8th grade) here.  The cut off is August here.  If you turn 12 from Sept. to August, you're in year 7 (7th grade),  If you turn 13 from Sept to August you're in year 8 (8th grade).  If you turn 14 from Sept to August you're in year 9(9th grade), etc.  It's hard to get a handle on this at first because it's so different from our system, but like I said, I would really talk to the education authority.  
Mindy

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab