Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: applying for university - advice please!  (Read 1722 times)

• my name is jonas
  • Liked: 0
applying for university - advice please!
« on: April 27, 2004, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi, I posted before in a terror about fees, but I should have worried more about GETTING into school...

I was wondering if anyone has gone to the UK for a reason other than school (for example to move with spouse, etc.) and then applied to University once you got there.

I am really nervous about going to university, but I want to more than anything.  I will be applying for an undergraduate law degree.  I've had some uni here in the states, but I don't expect nor do I want those credits to transfer.

I am now a mature student!  I am absolutely terrified that I won't get into a university and I will be stuck the rest of my life with no education!  (and staying in the US is NOT an option at the moment).

I will try to conquer the whole fees problem AFTER I conquer the whole "admission" problem.

anyone with advice, or words of comfort, anything???

:-\\\\

Thanks
Trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

• Why a duck?
Re: applying for university - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:47:58 PM »
Hi, Trisha!

My sister applied to unis at the age of 50 and had no trouble getting in.  She quit high school but earned her General Education Diploma.  She completed a few college courses back when she was in her 20s.  She had no trouble being accepted at 4 unis, all that she applied to.

Widening Participation is a big deal in the UK.  Unis are trying very hard to attract mature, immigrant, and first-generation students.  I worked at a Harvard graduate school, so please believe me when I tell you that admissions depends more on how many bums in seats the school wants than it does top-level qualifications. 

I hope to be a school manager or in student services at a uni after I move this summer.   Maybe our paths will cross.  Where are you thinking of applying?

Deep breaths now,  Chris
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 05:48:13 PM »
Hi Trillian,

I was a US student studying at the University of Gloucestershire in Cheltenham from Sept to Jan this past year. I adored it but unfortunatly the college did not accept American Financial Aid and I paid the $12,000 for one year on my own. I couldnt afford to stay and got back 50% of my tuition for the 2nd semeester.

My boyfriend is English and the only way I could go to the UK was to apply to college.

If you go to the UK and apply for college there- that's fine. You would have to return to US soil and fly back to the UK to get the proper student visa stamp in your passport.

Don't worry about being a mature student; I am :) And its very smart to assume your college credits here will probably not transfer over to the UK. You will more then likely start in Year One.

My number one piece of advice is make sure you go to a college that is accredited with the American Financial Aid system. You can go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and look under 'foriegn universities' to see if the colleges you want to apply to accept Aid. Most UK colleges charge anywhere from 7-9,000 pounds per year and that only includes tuition fees (not room & board, books, etc.)

When I applied to college there, I also thought "I just want to be accepted and then Ill worry about the finances later." Unless you're wealthy or have something stashed away, PLEASE don't do this and make the same mistake I did. You are only allowed to work 20 hours per week under British Immigration Law. More then likely, you will NOT get a high-paying job as a part-time worker. Be prepared to pay your rent, bills, food, travel, college expenses, etc. from your savings or whatever. I thought I'd be able to get by on my 20 hours per week and I found out soon enough I was VERY wrong. The whole time I was in the UK, I lived off my savings account from home. That is why I decided to not attend the 2nd semester of college and get 50% ($6,000) of my tuition back. I ended up staying in the UK a few months after my 1st semester ended because my #1 reason of being in the UK was to be with my boyfriend.

Besides figuring out which college to go to and seeing if you can get AID (you need to apply by June 30!), you will more then likely need to apply thru UCAS which basically runs the UK college system. You can also write to the International Offices at the colleges of your choice for advice. That is the route I went and received personal attention and help.  I emailed the International Student office and strictly corresponded with them. Students must go thru the UCAS system to apply to any college. I didnt. I also started to correspond with them in JULY and got accepted by mid-Ausust.) Most UK colleges start in late September.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!  :-*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 06:01:05 PM by ny_2_uk »
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• my name is jonas
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 10:06:44 PM »
thanks for the replies, guys.  fortunately, my husband is British and I will be going over on a spousal visa, so I can work and also have his support.   unfortunately, i do not qualify for "home fees."

i have checked with fafsa and they do financial aide to most of the universities that i was looking at, but i am worried about the number of years you are eligible for fafsa (or fasfa or whatever...).

i am thinking about applying in september for early admission for fall 2005 just to see how it goes while i am still in the US.

i am just so nervous....I went to a residential high school for gifted students but unfortunately during my second semester of college, a tragedy struck my family and (i won't go into the awful details but it left me basically parentless and suffering post-traumatic stress disorder).  as you can imagine, my grades suffered a bit.

I am not ashamed of what happened to me in college, because I did what I had to, but the fact remains that I have some rotten grades on my record.  I have since moved to London (and back), gotten married, worked as a paralegal for going on two years, and done work for Amnesty INternational (I even have a job title).  I've gone to conferences and seminars in both capacities.  I just hope I can get my foot in the door to explain mistakes that honestly, I don't know I had any choice in making (at the time).

If you've made it this far in the post, thanks.  Any thoughts?
had a bit of a wobble.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 12:53:08 AM »
I wouldnt worry too much about your grades unless you're applying for Cambridge, Oxford or any REALLY great college. But this is just my opinion. You are applying as a mature student so your resume (CV) will be a great thing to add to your application (I sent my resume in with my letters to the International Office at the college.) I also had 4 F's (grades) on my college transcript- still got accepted. Altho the college I went to isnt very high up on the scale (I think) and it also quite new- so who knows?!

Thats great that you'll be able to work full time!

Your FAFSA will have to re-newed each year and its based on your taxes from the prior year. I have NO clue how they would work in your situation since you'll be living in the UK once you attend college. So if you plan on attending college in Autumn 2005- your financial aid reward will be based on Year 2004 tax returns.

And you're right, you can not get residence fees (which are under 2000 pounds per year mainly) unless you are an EU/UK resident for three years.

I'm sure with all your work experience and you having lived in the UK already (and will be again soon) you will not have many problems getting into a college there!

The best advice I can supply is to write to the International Student Offices at each college you want to attend. Most UK colleges have websites and a special sections for International Students and Mature Students. I would speak to them directly about your plans and Im sure they will more then likely be very happy to help you.

Please keep us up to date on your quest; its a very interesting process and you will have a great time attending school there!

(PS- I applied for the London College of Fashion while I was in England and studying there so its not a problem for you to apply while you are in England! You will still be considered an International Student.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 12:54:43 AM by ny_2_uk »

• Why a duck?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 03:31:39 AM »
Trisha,

Every student who sat in my office asking me if I thought they could cut it did fine.  They were the real students.  The ones who breezed into class sure they would walk out with a Harvard diploma with no effort and only a little seat time were the ones who failed.  Being worried is a good sign.

You went to a school for gifted students, so I'd bet the farm that you were taught close reading, how to do research, and how to write. Those skills stay with you.  Your past doesn't.  Admissions will be looking at how you filled out the application, how clearly you write, and believe me, you get brownie points for being a mature student.  Mature students are much better students overall than traditional-aged students.

If you are applying to a top program at a top school, you can worry about if the school has enough available seats to let you in.  Otherwise, don't worry.  You are obviously a smart cookie!  Your past won't be held against you.  It's unlikely that any credits would transfer, so if they won't take the credits for the aced courses, they won't hold the flops against you.  The admissions folks will think it's great that you want to go back to school.

Wail and worry all you want.  I've had my turn (and will have a few more!).  I'll be here for you.  Chris
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 04:26:25 AM »
Oxford or any REALLY great college.

I went to Oxford.  When I was there, the important part of the selection procedure was the interview - not the audit of previous qualifications or exam results.  There were several students in my year who had no formal qualifications:  my college (Oxford is a collegiate university, i.e., the University is a confederacy of more-or-less independent colleges) just liked the cut of their jib, liked their intellectual acumen and their dedication to their discipline, thought they would be worthy colleagues, and let them in to study and be further educated, and to educate.  I hope it is still so.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 04:37:06 AM by howard »
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 11:18:35 AM »
Hi there, I've been a student in the UK for the last 4 years. I've got loads of experience with the FAFSA stuff. Unfortunately we're between internet accounts (broadband is up on Friday - YEAH!) so I will post back more then. You can also PM me any specific questions you have. I've found it no more difficult than it is in the USA.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• my name is jonas
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 02:36:01 PM »
 :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys (and gals)!  I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have them!!!  I think I am going to request a paper application from UCAS and really spend some time on it and work on getting some good references.  Wow, ya’ll have really given me some much needed hope.

I will post here as I continue the process (which will be a long one because I really want to do it right!)

Thanks!!!!!

Trisha 
had a bit of a wobble.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 03:10:05 PM »
Best wishes; you'll do just fine!  :-*

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab