Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tried Indian Food for the FIRST time...  (Read 2550 times)

• Liked: 1
Tried Indian Food for the FIRST time...
« on: April 27, 2004, 07:07:04 PM »
after bad mouthing it and turning my nose down at it for 5 years and

i LOVED it!  OMG......i ordered tandoori shrimp, which i wasn't too crazy about BUT my roomate got chicken tikka masala and it was the perfect blend of tomato and spices.  I was in heaven!  [smiley=angel.gif]

Here i was thinking it was all terrible and i had been witholding the pleasure of naan forever.  I am SO happy i've seen the light as is my fiancee David since it's his favorite food!

YAY!   [smiley=smug2.gif]

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
Re: Tried Indian Food for the FIRST time...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 07:08:33 PM »
Good for you for getting over your initial 'distaste'.  Indian food is awesome!  I hope you'll try out all sorts of dishes - the sauce is so yummy!  And it's not that hard to cook either! [smiley=chef.gif]

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:57 PM »
the distaste only came from me gagging everytime i smelled a certain type of curry.  I still do it BUT i'm happy to know that not all indian food is made with that combination of spices!  i actually ate IN the restraunt too which was HUGE.  then again, it only had very few diners that night.

baby steps.....   :D

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 07:27:23 PM »
Congrats ;)  I love the stuff.. especially a nice chicken balti or chicken tikka masala with naan and chips... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

in Flagstaff where Sean and I live the only Indian in town is about a 5 minute walk from our apartment... he's convinced that's why I chose that complex over any of the others ;) 

It's almost embarrassing.. they know us by name because we're there every Saturday or Sunday for a $6.99 all you can eat buffet, and then usually once or twice a week as well for a nice sit-down meal.  It's not cheap, but if it's indian food I'm craving, I only have another 10 days of waiting for a good, cheap meal. 

I would recommend another Indian dish to try, but I tend to stick with one of the 2 listed above.  I've tried Korma on occasion, but it seems to REALLY vary from place to place.. I found it to actually be a better dish in Phoenix than in England!  What's next on the list?  :)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 07:46:35 PM »
since i don't want to get whatever made me GAG then i'm letting my roomate try something new and try a bite of her stuff!

i'm ok with having a staple and then tasting bites of someone elses to see if i like it........

but that naan bread.....so warm and WONDERFUL.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:23:11 AM »
Aimiloo, you crack me up!  :) but I am proud of you for braving it! Indian food is awesome and, it's much more diverse than what you see in most restaurants. Typically, Indian restaurants in the US are north Indian and tend to richer sauces. Southern Indian which is also less available here (though more so in London) is lighter and spicier. They also use coconut more. As others have said, it's also very easy to cook and I hope to post some recipes when Leah's cookbook goes up. If you can dare to tell us what curry makes you gag, I might be able to tell you which ingredient it is so you can avoid it in the future!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 07:24:33 PM »
Bradford curries are the best I've ever tasted!!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 08:07:03 PM »
it took me ages to try my furst curry, and I fell in love much to my surprise! But to be fair, my favorite part is the poppadums with ehsweet chutneys... YUM!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 09:42:27 PM »
My DH would be perfectly happy to eat curry 7 days a week.  I myself would have to limit it to 2 or 3 times.  So there have been occasions when we went along to the curry house , but i didnt fancy a curry... on those occasions, I had a whole naan all to myself!  A huge, soft, thick naan, dripping with garlic butter!

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 01:57:26 AM »
The first meal I want in the UK each trip is an Indian meal.  I love all the curries, chicken balti, and my favorite is chicken tikka masala.   There's an Indian place in a food court in downtown Boston that make the best food.  One thing I won't have to miss!

Crave of the day--Murray mints. 

Aimiloo,  Where did you eat?  Harvard Square?   Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 04:22:41 AM by chrishamil10 »
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 06:22:21 AM »
Murray mints... the too good to hurry mints.
I've got my sister in Texas hooked on these!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »
Chris...what's the name of the place you went to in Boston?  I tend to go to the places in Harvard Square...and looking forward to eating in London.  My dad spent a year working in northern India, I went to visit and so I have eaten LOTS of Indian since then.  If you like bread, like Naan, you should try the breads that have potatoes & peas and the like within them.  Yummy!

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 02:46:55 PM »
i can't WAIT to try garlic butter naan!  I ate the whole loaf of regular naan and was in heaven.

i ate at an awesome place called ranni in Brookline (on beacon street).  I know there's another place on newbury that's supposed to be great as well.

david loves curry and would eat it every meal if he could.....but i think he'll settle for once in a while (i try to eat as healthy as possbile) instead of not at all!

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 10:03:52 PM »
Onetiger and the rest of the Boston bunch,

India Express is in the Downtown Crossing food court.  The daily specials are cheap and quick, steamtable stuff.  The menu entrees are cooked to order.  The chicken tikka masala, which I had for lunch today, takes about 5 minutes, but it's heavenly.  Two Japanese tourists asked me what I was eating.  They tried some of my dish, then they bought their own!     Chris
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Hiya
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 10:47:02 PM »
Hmm, I've only tasted a little bit of everyone else's curry and I don't like it. :-\\\\  However I love Chicken Chasni and Kebabs, etc. etc.  Then again I have to watch what I eat because I've got a touchy stomach and am lactose intolerant.  I could eat chicken chasni every stinking day though.  Love the naan bread as well. 

I love kebabs, but I like the Turkish ones better.  I ate a Turkish kebab nearly everyday when I lived in Germany for a semester.  It's a miracle that I didn't put on weight there!!!!  Anyways, their kebabs have two types of sauces, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.  More veggies, but same basic bread and meat.

Yum Yum...oh it's nearly dinner time and this is making my stomach growl!!!! lol.

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

Sponsored Links