Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Been here a very long time  (Read 1427 times)

• Electrics.me.uk
  • Liked: 0
Been here a very long time
« on: December 09, 2002, 04:15:22 PM »
I've lived in the UK, on and off for over 37 years. My wife of 35 years is English from the Oxford area, though we've lived in Dorset for most of those years. I orginally came here the same month/year Kennedy was shot, I remember the news flash that came up on our old B/W TV that day. Later I returned to the States to serve in the US Navy, mostly in Veitnam, spent 3.5 years there on and off. Came back to the UK and stayed until 1990, then went back thinking I could do with a place a little warmer/dryer, so went to see if Florida had anything to offer. After a few months I realised I had become Anglo-ized, I couldn't settle in the States and missed Dorset too much. It would be hard to say exactly where I consider home would be for me in the States. Born New York, Lived in Texas, California and variety of other States, My Dad was Air Force so we never stayed in one place very long....BTW, a really great job of the UK-Yankee Site, who ever built it.

• Liked: 1
Re: Been here a very long time
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 04:51:09 PM »
Welcome to the site Loftus!  Having lived in England for such a long time, you will be an asset to this site because of all the experience you can add!  Keep posting!  Welcome! :D

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 05:12:57 PM »
Very nice to meet you Loftus...  I am sure you will be able to add a lot of experience and insight to this happy little group...

were exactly are you now...UK or US?

Welcome aboard
Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Electrics.me.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 05:34:13 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, I live in a place called Poole, in Dorset, and I have to admit in all my travels I've found very few places that compete with it for history, beauty and the people are friendly. One of my past-times is to get on my motor cycle and head out to the back roads of Dorset. From my home, I can be down on the beach in about 5 minutes, out to the New forest in about 20 minutes and visiting towns that date back to the Dooms Day Book in less than 15 minutes, it's an amazing place. Far too much to tell in a short note. For those thinking of visiting the UK, don't get stuck in London or just the major cities.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 06:12:43 PM »
ahhh yes Loftus, you are very correct...  England has some of the most beautiful country side and lovely roads for sightseeing.  

When Tom and I get married I will be moving to Northumberland (way up north)...  he also has a motorcycle...  Took me on a tour on bike through the scotland border towns and all the back roads through the Cheviots...  totally godsmacked beautiful...  I have yet to be anywhere else that could compare...  but of course I hope to find out.

So here I have waited until I was 46 to become a motorcycle momma...LOL  gotta love it!  even got my first tatoo at age 44...  Latent rebellious stage...lol

michele
depths of our soul!

• Electrics.me.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 06:30:23 PM »
Michele, I've driven around Scotland, I once rented a croft next the Loch Ness and spent a couple of weeks exploring that area. Beautiful, without doubt. When I get my next bike, (the one I'm currently riding isn't exactly a Harley [smiley=mellow.gif], it's more of a small but beaufully built Yamaha, but it gets us to where we want to go), I intend to broaden my bike horizons. I might even go abroad, like to the next county (Hampshire,Wiltshire or Somerset) [smiley=smoking.gif]. As for the tattoo, maybe one day, though I can't quite see my wife being overly enthusiastic:) However don't let my hessitance stop you from burning the bright light [smiley=bandana.gif]

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 06:46:27 PM »
;D Loftus,

my tatto's are small and indiscrete...  not for all to see  ;)  

Tom has a kawasaki 750 zepher and a triumph tigercub.  I plan on getting myself a yamaha virago some day... I like riding on the back of his...  but I prefer to be in control of my own destiny as far as how fast I drive...LOL!...  I prefer to putter and tour.  LOL  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 02:30:18 PM »
Hi, Loftus
I'm another long-timer. I've been here since 1969.
:D
Susan

• Liked: 24
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2002, 07:52:34 PM »
Hello loftus, a big welcome to you. It will be great to get your insights and learn from your experiences. :)

a really great job of the UK-Yankee Site, who ever built it.

Thank you very much. Hopefully it will keep getting better. The main site is about to be transformed to match the look of this forum.

I hope you'll continue to post here. Happy Holidays. :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 02:12:56 PM »
hey loftus....a little late with it, BUT...still wanted to officially welcome you to the site.  WELCOME!!  ive really enjoyed your post...so dont stop, lol.  with your long term experiences you have so much to offer to the UKY site.  please come and join us in the live chats we have on Tuesday Evenings (8-10pm GMT).  

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab