Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: proposed domestic partnership to Irish/Canadian dual citizen living in Edinburgh  (Read 1840 times)

I can add the protectorates bit.  It's only a few sentences...

• Liked: 0
An advisory on this would be great. Once it's done, I can post it to articles if you like. Just let me know.

There's always the Commonwealth of Massachusetts... :)

I think that only works if you live in Massachusetts or plan to move there. Right?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
An advisory on this would be great. Once it's done, I can post it to articles if you like. Just let me know.

It's done (pending final check).  Do I post it here or e-mail?

Vicky

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
I think that only works if you live in Massachusetts or plan to move there. Right?

From what I understand, because civil partnership isn't recognized on a Federal level, it's only good if you live in that state.  Same for New Jersey.

• Liked: 6
It's done (pending final check).  Do I post it here or e-mail?

Vicky

You can copy and paste it in a PM to tristessa, if that would be easiest.  That's what I usually do lol
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

Thanks so much for all the help! And I can't wait to see the advocacy article, cuz it'll probably answer a few of my remaining qs!

The only problem that I have now is that'll it'll take 3 months for Ontario to register our marriage and then get a marriage certificate. I doubt the "Record of Solemnization" they give out the day of the marriage wouldn't do any good in my EEA application, right? I'd need that uber official marriage certificate? *le sigh*

So yeah, right now my options that don't take forever seem to be:
1. If they took the aforementioned record instead of an official marriage certificate as proof of our marriage.
2. If we could get me in with a EEA family permit as a proposed civil partner.
3. To go the original UK proposed civil partnership route.

I was really liking the idea of this EEA family permit since its restrictions are less than a PCP visa (not to mention free) and the thought of not getting a visa just about kills me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:40:11 PM by heathergalaxy »

• Banned

If the article isn't up here yet, it is on my website under 'news and articles' fromt he link in my sig.

Vicky

Great article! Thanks!

Do you know if one application over the other (UK fiancee or EEA fiancee) would more likely to get approved, or is it the same considering that we would need to show proof of finances and accommodation for both?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:19:41 PM by heathergalaxy »

• Banned

It should be easier to do EEA, but at the moment in practice it isn't.

Vicky

It should be easier to do EEA, but at the moment in practice it isn't.

Vicky

Well of course nothing is ever perfect. hah. :)

Well if we approached the EEAFP as if we were applying under UK law, even though we shouldn't have to provide that much proof, it seems like a good idea to go overboard with the documentation just in case. She makes £35k a year, I have a master's degree and could work the day I get there under EEAFP (even as a proposed civil partner it seems... I would just have to get married before applying for the EEA2 resident card)... I think we have everything we need to prove our relationship and everything. So yeah. EEAFP as PCP it is I think. Still a bit nervous about applying as a PCP rather than as a spouse, but it seems like we'd be okay.

This stuff is nerve wracking! You're amazing to figure this out for people for a living. I feel like I will have to send you a thank you card when I get a visa!

Crap Vicky, I just read this:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapter21/chapter21annex1/

"Proposed civil partners (equivalent to financé/ financée) are not currently recognised as family members under the EEA Regulations and should not be issued with an EEA family permit. They can, however apply under the relevant provisions of the Immigration Rules."

seems like I can't go that route. :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:13:52 PM by heathergalaxy »

• Banned

Nuts.  I'm so sorry about that.  I made an assumption that proposed civil partners would be treated as fiancee's.  That is shitty, and I am sorry about misleading info.

UK rules it is then.  And £500  >:(

Vicky

Nuts.  I'm so sorry about that.  I made an assumption that proposed civil partners would be treated as fiancee's.  That is shitty, and I am sorry about misleading info.

UK rules it is then.  And £500  >:(

Vicky

It's okay, it's crap and discriminatory but oh well.

Anyway we can apply for the EEAFP while in the UK waiting for our certificate from Canada? *le sigh* I guess we just need to make a decision if we want to wait or not.

Is there a permanent link for the Ireland advisory? 

I'm meaning to run a link to it because it fills an information gap in a unique way.

Sponsored Links