Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa catch-22  (Read 1477 times)

• Liked: 0
Visa catch-22
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
There appear to be a few "catch-22s" in the visa process.  The requirement for "sufficient funds" seems very arbitrary and ambiguous.  Apparently, lining up a job ahead of time is very unlikely with only a bachelor's degree.  It is said you should present proof of employment and months of pay stubs to show your income.  How does holding a job at the time of applying for your visa going to be of any relevance once you are in the UK (assuming it is not mobile or an online self-employed scenario)?  It seems as if one would have to quit his/her job before moving to the UK.  Considering my fiancee, a British citizen, relies heavily on public funds, more money needed to be saved is required; a visa consultant advised me because she relies so much on them, my savings of $10,000 would not suffice.  Am I missing something?  Am I making it too complicated?  How can one have employment that is of any relevance once married and living in England if your employment is in the U.S.?  This whole concern is driving me mad!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Visa catch-22
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
£5k savings and proof of employabilty is going to help you. Perhaps get a new 'visa consultant'?

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:49 AM »
It was a spur of the moment inquiry.  Where can I get a visa consultant without spending an outrageous amount of money, if possible?

Considering I recently graduated with a mathematics degree from a university (May 2007), what are some options as to seeking employment in the UK?  Obviously I fall short of the HSMP because my degree is only a bachelor's, not a master's.  The odds are against an employer sponsoring me given the proof the employer must show how he/she has looked within the entire EU!

All I want is to be able to stay with my fiancee, marry, and live together, regardless of living conditions!  I have so many questions, most of which are beyond the expertise of those within this forum.  Any suggestions?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:20:53 AM »
I have so many questions, most of which are beyond the expertise of those within this forum. 

Try us.  You might be surprised.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
For starters, what visa are you seeking to apply for?

Edit: And if you find questions about UK visas that are beyond Vicky's and Garry's expertise, my hat's off to you.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »
I did not mean such a statement as an insult *laughs*, just I'm new here and a bit nervous. 

I would apply for either a fiancee or marriage visa.  Which I apply for will really be up to my fiancee (who's not sure if she wants to live in the U.S. or stay in England yet).  I am assuming the more complicated scenario, me moving to the UK.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »
I'm not sure you moving to the U.K. is the more complicated scenario. Have you looked at the requirements for a visa to the U.S?
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »
I may be wrong, but I have a feeling it can be harder to get a visa to move to the US than to move to the UK.

If you will be moving to the UK, you can either apply for the fiance visa, move to the UK, get married within 6 months and then apply for the marriage/spousal visa, or your fiancee can fly to the US as a visitor, you can get married in the US, apply for the spousal visa and then you can move to the UK.

However, if you wish to marry in the US and then continue to live in the US, your fiancee will need to get a fiance visa and then you will only have 90 days in which to get married and then apply for the spousal visa.

A comparison of visa processing time: I believe that many people on this board have had their fiance/spousal visas issued within a few days to a couple of weeks or so. The US Embassy website says you should allow 3-6 months after the petition (that the US citizen fills out within the US) has been processed for the visa to be issued!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Actually, I have.  We'd probably have just a ceremony over in England, but marry legally in the U.S.  This is the scenario I'm hoping my fiancee will take.  I also have two friends, two different couples, who came over on a fiance visa.

I am considering starting an online business to answer my question of employment.  All I'd need is a laptop and could manage it from anywhere in the world.  Would such an endeavor suffice as "self-employment", certainly funds?

• Mouse Hunting
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:43:38 AM »
I can attest, it is much more stressful and difficult to go through US immigration procedures.

We started the process in June 2004, and my husband was finally able to work legally in November 2005. We had been married for seven months before he was fully legal. We even had to contact our congressman to help move things along.

Though, I doubt it's any harder to get a US visas, the paper work seemed much more complex (or maybe the Uk paper just seemed easier after having gone through it once) and the waiting was nearly unbearable. It still makes me laugh when folks on this board fret over a few days!!
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »
I too can say that the US system is much longer and more complicated. We began it in 2005 and abandoned it after 9 months of waiting. Back then you could apply in person at the LA consulate...and it was such a relief to get our visas in a single day.

Other things to consider is that the US income guidelines are very straight forward, 125% above the poverty line...for 3 years. Chances are that as a recent graduate you will not meet that requirement. On the other hand, the US does allow co-sponsors, so if your parents or someone else will sign you are still ok.

The simplest solution we found was marry in the US and apply for the UK marriage visa. It doesn't take more than a couple fo weeks usually. And if Vicky says your savings is enough...I'd listen, she has loads of experience.
Terri P O'Neale

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:48:19 AM »
As you will see from this forum, this process takes a whole lot of patience.

The simple fact is that you can't make the move until you are able to prove to the ECO that you can afford to support yourselves in the UK.  This might mean waiting until you have savings, this might mean trying to get a job in the UK.  But if you have savings of £5k, this will help tide you over until you get work.

Vicky

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »

Considering I recently graduated with a mathematics degree from a university (May 2007), what are some options as to seeking employment in the UK?  Obviously I fall short of the HSMP because my degree is only a bachelor's, not a master's.  The odds are against an employer sponsoring me given the proof the employer must show how he/she has looked within the entire EU!

All I want is to be able to stay with my fiancee, marry, and live together, regardless of living conditions!  I have so many questions, most of which are beyond the expertise of those within this forum.  Any suggestions?

You can work once you're married, without any issue or special vias, etc. And having a job prior to moving can mean that 1.) You're working now, saving money/paying expenses, and arent' coming to mooch of the system and 2.) Means you will probably be able to get a job here

£5000 is pretty good savings and you can always include *I think from what I've read here (but don't quote me)* different types of searches- say newspapers, mosteruk, etc that show that you would be employable here- I would think with a degree in Math you'd be fine!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »
One thing that I did which carried quite a bit of weight with my application in terms of employability was to be in contact with agencies in my field. I had bunches of emails showing that I had registered with agencies...and actual adverts for jobs which I could qualify. Mind you...the charities sector in which I work...is always looking for good people so this wasn't a problem, but might be if jobs are tighter in your field. Also, because I was married and already in the process of applying the agencies took me more seriously than they might have if our plans were less concrete. I even had an interview scheduled the day after I landed (even though it still took me a whole month to land my first job).
Terri P O'Neale

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
Another person here who will attest to the fact that it's much more difficult to get a US visa.  My now husband went through the fiance visa process.  We were lucky to get it in 6 months.  I knew of others who had been waiting over a year.

Also there are many more steps and much more waiting time to become a permanent resident and ultimately a citizen.

Sponsored Links