Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR - silly question for filling out form  (Read 1008 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR - silly question for filling out form
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to apply for my ILR and have a silly question...

The form asks for the full name as stated in my passport (my maiden name)
then on the next line it asks for my family name....

Would I enter my maiden name or my married name here? What have you entered?

I never bothered updating my passport with my married name  :-\\\\  when I applied for the FLR I was told once I received my new passport with my married name, my maiden name passport with the current /valid visa would become null & void and I would have to pay extra to get the visa transferred. And that I would be better off waiting until my passport was about to expire, because when it does, I'd have to have the visa transferred into the new passport anyways.

Many Thanks
C

• Liked: 4
Re: ILR - silly question for filling out form
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
You don't have to pay to get your visa transferred once your passport expires. You can just carry your expired passport with the valid visa along with your new passport.

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
family name would be married name.
Name on passport is the name on the passport ie maiden name or married name or what ever it says on there,
Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
family name would be married name.
Name on passport is the name on the passport ie maiden name or married name or what ever it says on there,
Indy
Uh, what if you kept your maiden name when you married?  Do you just write your name again in the box, or write your husband's name even though it's not your own?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
Uh, what if you kept your maiden name when you married?  Do you just write your name again in the box, or write your husband's name even though it's not your own?

family name is your legal last name that you use on a day to day basis, as far as I'm aware.  so if you didn't change your name when you got married it would just be your last name. 

I always thought that the purpose of asking for a family name on the form is because some cultures write their family name first (like Yao Ming, Yao is the family name) so they want to make sure that they know which names are given names and which is the family name/surname.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Liked: 70
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
I didn't change my name so I wrote my birth name on both line of the form. 

I never go by my partner's name so it didn't make sense to write his surname on the form with my first name.  I don't want someone to issue the visa in the wrong surname for me.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
The visa is only ever issued in the name on the passport, so it doesn't really matter which name you put.  Springhaze is right - this is a question to make sure that they don't put a first name as a surname.

Vicky

Sponsored Links