Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template  (Read 84841 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
Your National Insurance number in the UK should be guarded with exactly the same care as you guarded your Social Security number in the US. You wouldn't give that out willy nilly or have it written on documents that may be passed around unknown people, so don't do it with your NI number either. It is the UK equivalent and should be treated with the same respect and privacy because it is just as open to all the same stolen identity and fraud abuses as an SS#.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
REFERENCES
Include the Contact Names and Addresses of two to three references. References must be work related, not a Personal Friend.  One of the references must also be your last employer.

what if my references from out side the UK .... shall i put it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
Of course!

Vicky

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »
Of course!
Vicky

thanx Vicky, but someone told me when they ask for reference give it to them otherwise do not put it in your CV, i do not think this is a good idea.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
I've never heard of putting contact information for a reference directly on a CV. I would think that your references would not be comfortable with their phone numbers and/or addresses being passed around among random strangers. I wouldn't supply reference  details unless it was specifically requested by someone who is already considering you for a position.

• Banned

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »
Many applications ask for references.  Many people put contact details, or just put 'reference on request' on their CV's.  If you are going to put contact details on the CV, obviously ask the referee first.

Vicky

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
i think the best solution is to write
'reference on request'

istead of putting thier contact details, even they are agree  ;D

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
My references' contact details are on my CV. My reasoning is that I don't send out CV's speculatively, but only when I'm applying for a specific job (if I did show my CV to someone for some other purpose, I'd take the references out.)  When I fill out job application forms, I routinely include my references' details, so I don't see CV's in application for a specific position as being any different. The vast majority of positions are going to ask me for references at some point in the process so I might as well give it to them up front!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
To be honest...including them or "references on request" are both perfectly acceptable.  If you do include them just check with the people first.....
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
Many applications ask for references.  Many people put contact details, or just put 'reference on request' on their CV's.  If you are going to put contact details on the CV, obviously ask the referee first.

Vicky

It's different if the application specifically asks for contact details. I was referring to a standard CV which you might send out to a large number of employers during your search for a job.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:07:57 PM by sweetpeach »

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »
It's different if the application specifically asks for contact details. I was referring to a standard CV which you might send out to a large number of employers during your search for a job.

Yes.  And it is still acceptable to list referees on a CV, with their permission.  It could also help with the application.  If you are, for example, applying for a job with a law firm that 20 other people will be going for, and you have the Attorney General as a reference, your application will stand out.

Vicky

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Yes.  And it is still acceptable to list referees on a CV, with their permission.  It could also help with the application.  If you are, for example, applying for a job with a law firm that 20 other people will be going for, and you have the Attorney General as a reference, your application will stand out.

Vicky

Completely agreed.  I check peoples referees sometimes....a senior person on a reference is far more impressive than a friends name.  Also if people omit referees from their employment and just have friends or doctors etc...that sends alarm bells off to me about their working history...and what are they hiding etc...
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
Interesting thread.  However, I do question this:

List Address details of the School / College you attended and the years in which you attended. Include Grades

Grades should only be relevant if you are a new graduate. 

Listing the year graduated opens you up for age discrimination, which is rife everywhere, the UK being worse than the US, in my opinion -- just read the Daily Mail "[insert celebrity] is looking every bit of her thirty-five years lately..."   :o

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
When I see a CV I want to know when the applicant graduated.  It is not age discrimination, it is a question of knowing when they last worked, when they last studied.  Personally, I have a huge amount of respect for those who study as mature students, so putting the date of graduation may well be a plus point.

Grades are important.  I'm less likely to want a guy who has a pass or a third to someone who has a second class degree.  And I would like to know which it is.

Vicky

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
If you want to open a can of worms with Age Discrimination...the same government also demanded I.D for all applicants when applying for employment through agencies BUT we are not to ask their age  ??? ??? ??? kind of a double edge sword really.  Same government also introduced Minimum wage for different ages  ??? ??? ???

As for putting the year of when you graduated etc as to it being used to work out your age........well... you are supposed to put all your employment history on the C.V and if I was to be really cocky here..I would tally up the years of your employment and deduct it from the current year and allow a extra 16 to 23 years to work out your age  ;)

Sponsored Links