Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template  (Read 84756 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Basic C.V and Cover Letter Template
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 12:48:08 PM »
wow, that cover letter is SO different from ones i'm used to seeing in the US.  here, it's the cover letter that really sells you and is a place where you can expand and focus more on specifically talking about your past experience, how you're right for the job, etc.  would a cover letter like the example here be the norm for everyone?? 

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
There is no norm, and it is not always the letter that swings it.  Some positions don't even allow a cover letter.  Many require the completion of an application form and nothing else.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
Can they legally ask for you to report all medications both over the counter and prescribed?  What else would they be doing with that information if not discriminating against someone? 

Unless, of course, it is a job that might be affected by a health issue, so military/police/fire fighting, but just an office job?   

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »
Can they legally ask for you to report all medications both over the counter and prescribed?  What else would they be doing with that information if not discriminating against someone? 

Unless, of course, it is a job that might be affected by a health issue, so military/police/fire fighting, but just an office job?   

I suppose it depends where your Office Job is at??

You sometimes get health questionaires...but I have never heard of a company want to know specific meds.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »
Um,

As far as the employment history...

How many previous employers should you list, or are you aiming to cover all of your employers over a certain time period, i.e. the last 10 years?

I have managed to beef up my description of what I did under most recent job and am worried If I keep going with my most recent 3-5 jobs I really will need to take up 2 pages or more.  Something I'm cautious about since I was always instructed to limit my resume to 1 page.

Is it better to explain fully or summarize what I did while holding a certain position?

Also what can more can/should I do to really make my CV stand out if I've only ever held part time jobs with no real direction and I really want to break into a decent full time job that does require the education I have but have never used?

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »
I need to know a few things:

1) How old are you ( sorry for asking )

2) What sort of job are you looking to get?

3) What have you done briefly in the past?

I can't gauge your question accurately until I know those answers.

:)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
I don't mind

I am 23, or will be in a few weeks.

I'm hoping to get some sort of entry level finance job.  I have found out recently that I like budgeting, but that is about it.

I have a Bachelor's Degree of Science, but my major at college was Visual Effects and Motion Graphics, something I no longer have an interest in.

While I was in school I worked as a server, part time, and I'm afraid I've really not had any jobs better than that since then because my relationship with my husband started 3 months before I graduated in December 2007. (I knew about a year before then that I didn't want a job in my field)  And since we got engaged just after I graduated, it was pretty much "You are the one with a solid job.  Lets live in England.", and the rest of the time when I was in the states on my own (I had a six month visit from 31/5/08 to 23/11/08) I was only going to be around for a matter of months and didn't want to find anything more serious(something with a contract).

Honestly I've never worked 40 hours a week in my life, but I really want to be there for many reasons.

Thanks for trying to help

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
You need to approach your C.V in the following way.

A 2 page C.V in the UK is perfectly acceptable  :)

As you are only 23, you should really put all your working history on.  You need to cut waffle.  From what you are suggesting, you are going into great lengths at describing each job.  Step away from doing this as it may become a essay.  Bulletpoint the most important parts of the jobs you have had.  Especially bullet areas which you feel will relevent to finding a alternative career.  For example, if you have worked in retail all your life, but now you want to step into a office...bullet point things such as Customer Service, Dealing with cashing up of the till, Helping with customer queries...and so fourth.

You can state in your Personal profile at the beginning of your C.V that you are now looking for a career change.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
thank you so much for the advice

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
No problem, anytime  :)

• Waiting...
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »
I'm a bit confused with the personal details section. My CV was seen by a senior consultant over UK. He told us to put our date of birth, which I was almost sure it was one of the biggest mistakes ever... good to know you point that out.

BUT... what about marital status? I was told to put it as well. So the general info section will have a very brief introduction of yourself. At the moment mine has:
  • Marital Status
  • Interest and hobbies
  • Driving license status

Should I take it out as well?
Thanks!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 11:15:10 PM »
What kind of 'senior consultant'?  I would say never to put age, never to put marital status.  If you have a driving licence, say so, otherwise say nothing, and I always think hobbies is a good thing, but that is a personal preference.

Vicky

• Waiting...
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice Vicky  :)

Just looked through my emails. He's the Managing Director of his own company. We was a lecturer at our UK MSc program. I think he even work a bit on HR... anyhow, he's more of an old school consultant (at least for me). His main area is Corporate Social Responsibility, with a lot of background on the environmental field. Since I am a environmental consultant myself, I thought his advice was the correct one.

But with your response, I'm gonna rearrange my personal info section. Thanks!

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 04:05:31 AM »
I am looking at a template that asks me to include a "personal statement" at the beginning of my CV ahead of the skills section... is this usually included?  This template asks for a narrative paragraph, which just seems strange to me.   Any thoughts on this?

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:44 AM »
I am looking at a template that asks me to include a "personal statement" at the beginning of my CV ahead of the skills section... is this usually included?  This template asks for a narrative paragraph, which just seems strange to me.   Any thoughts on this?

Working in Recruitment, I would say 8 ouf 10 C.Vs have a personal statement...and the ones that don't...we add one!  :)

Sponsored Links