Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR application - nationality  (Read 999 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR application - nationality
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
Should I put American or United States of America?

Thanks

Re: ILR application - nationality
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
I always put United States of America (or just United States) on UK immigration forms, but I really don't think it matters (American vs USA, that is!).
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
I always tend to put United States of America because I had a teacher who taught Canadian Studies when i took that at Uni and he said that some Canadians (including him) get very upset when people from the USA call themselves American.. simply because America is both North America and South America.... which includes many other countries and not just the USA... and that people from the US are being egocentric.

Since I got that lecture from him I use USA whenever possible.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
Chrissy, that's funny that you mention that, because I have tried to use that argument time and time again with British friends and friends of other nationalities that I am not just "American" but that I'm from the USA and that "America" includes more places than just the US, and I always get a puzzled look and then an arguement back, yeah but you're an American, people from the states are American and people from Canada are Candian and people from Argentia and Argentian, etc.  But like for instance, I remember when I had my national insurance interview the lady put on the form for my nationality, "American"
Okay, whatever!  I don't even know what to call myself, because saying you're USA'n is bizzare, so for simplicities sake I've said usually I'm from the "states"-
But anyways, on immigration forms, I usually put USA  or United States of America, depending on what fits...
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
I ended up putting American - USA (I had already written American and then questioned it, so this way I don't have to print another page!).

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »
I have a faint memory of a total airhead, possibly Miss America?, saying 'USA Americans'.  Why not put that down  ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
LOL, Garry!  In generally put what fits or (to me anyway) there sometimes seems to be a context, so sometimes it's USA but mostly it's American.

Not to start this old argument again, but I am an American...I'm a national from the nation of the United States of America, just as a Canadian is a national from the nation of Canada.  Nationality is based on countries, not continents, IMO.  I can't imagine a Brazilian wanting to be called an American just based on the fact that s/he is from the continent of South America.  I can imagine any one from these groups identifying themselves as BEING from 'the Americas', but I think your citizenship is based on the country you're from, not the continent you're from...just my opinion anyway...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »
Not to start this old argument again, but I am an American...I'm a national from the nation of the United States of America, just as a Canadian is a national from the nation of Canada.  Nationality is based on countries, not continents, IMO.  I can't imagine a Brazilian wanting to be called an American just based on the fact that s/he is from the continent of South America.  I can imagine any one from these groups identifying themselves as BEING from 'the Americas', but I think your citizenship is based on the country you're from, not the continent you're from...just my opinion anyway...

I 100% agree with you... because USA doesn't sound like a nationality does it? And United States of America ends in the word America... therefore making us American like Canada=Canadian..... Brazil=Brazilian..... and I dont agree with the teacher that told me that but just for arguements sake.. when im filing out customs forms or visa applications where it says nationality i always put USA... but if someone were to ask me my natioanlity i would say American because as phatbeetle said USA'n just doesn't sound right when you say it.  So on paper, USA.... in conversation, American... but thats just my crazy way of thinking.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
I totally agree.  

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:25:42 AM »
Aside from the fact that I would guess we legally ARE American, it sounds so formal to answer the question orally by saying 'I am a citizen of the United States of America'!  :)  (Although I sometimes tell people I'm a half-Brit, since I have a parent from each country, but legally, I'm American.)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
Not only that, but you would think most citizens of countries in North and South America are quite proud of the country they come from.  Actually, I've known a few people from South America that are very specific where they come from as they don't want people to think they are from another South American country (and one Canadian at my current job that always makes sure people knows he's Canadian!).

I've never been told that its disrespectful for calling myself American.  I'm going to bring this up to my Canadian coworker on Monday and see what he thinks.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
Not only that, but you would think most citizens of countries in North and South America are quite proud of the country they come from.  Actually, I've known a few people from South America that are very specific where they come from as they don't want people to think they are from another South American country (and one Canadian at my current job that always makes sure people knows he's Canadian!).

Yes, don't you dare call someone from Brazil-Columbian or someone from Argentina- Paraguayan, that's for sure!  And I can't blame the Canadians for proudly pointing out they are Canadian either.  Who wouldn't want to be from Canada?  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
When filling out Hubby's form I put 'American', (my handwriting's neater than his). ;)

If I was filling out a form for myself I would put 'British'.

Strangely enough, this was not one of the questions I agonised over. ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
Strangely enough, this was not one of the questions I agonised over. ;D

Unfortunately, I agonise over everything!!

I get a bit OCD when stressed out.

• Liked: 10
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
I'm Canadian, and I don't mind Americans calling themselves Americans. In fact the only time that this ever comes up is when people ask me if I mind Americans calling themselves such. Or moreover, if they're surprised that I'm not bothered by Americans calling themselves Americans. I don't care, and I'd hazard a guess that the 30 million or so other Canadians don't spend much time thinking about this either. Maybe this is more of a concern for our Latin American neighbours, but I'm not sure.

I do remember that the Germans are very specific about how they label the US and its language. On forms, Americans are designated as "US-Amerikaner". Even in books translated from American authors, it will say on the title page "übersetzt aus dem Amerikanischen" (translated from Americanish). Only if the author is British like Jane Austen or Helen Fielding will it read "übersetzt aus dem Englischen" (translated from English). Books from Canadian authors are stated as being "übersetzt aus dem kanadischen Englisch" (translated from Canadian English). I wonder why we don't merit a "Canadianish".

As a final point, I do recall that the refusal notice from UKVisas for sevans returning resident application listed her nationality as "United States". Maybe that definitively answers the OP's question after all. I mean that's straight from the bureaucratic horse's mouth...

Sponsored Links