Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about changing employment on work permit  (Read 387 times)

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
Questions about changing employment on work permit
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
So I have a slightly odd situation here. My university research job was set up so that I would be in Belfast for 18 months and Leeds for 18 months. However, I was given a contract, work permit, and entry clearance for three years with the uni in Belfast. Now I'm preparing to move to Leeds and it appears that they want to actually switch my work permit over, although the personnel dept. here in Belfast thinks that it would be possible for me to remain under the current arrangement and be seconded to Leeds. (The left hand doesn't have a clue about the right, methinks...)

The questions for the experts, then, are:
- Do I definitely need to have my WP switched to Leeds?
- If it could go either way, are there advantages to one over the other?
- I know that if I switch, I need to apply for FLR. Is there anything to be concerned about on that account? (Other than the fee--I've already asked whether they will cover that.) Are there plans to apply the biometrics requirement to FLR(IED) applicants anytime soon, i.e. the next six months?

I thought I was done with immigration for the duration, arrgh! :P

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Questions about changing employment on work permit
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »
This depends on what was in the original application and whether your employer will change.  It may just need a permission for variation.

Vicky

• Odd Duck
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:41 PM »
Whether my employer will change is the question I'm trying to sort out. As I understand it, I could a) remain with the same employer and go to Leeds as a visitor or b) switch over to being employed by Leeds. I'm trying to understand the ramifications of both options.

I'm not sure what was in the original application, but the post was clearly advertised with the split arrangement. I don't know if that makes any difference to the HO...

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
Yes, it makes a big difference.  But I can't really advise on the best / easiest way to do this without knowing the detail.

There are no real ramifications, other than that the work permit scheme is getting trickier, and it might take more work than expected if you have to switch employers.  And if it isn't necessary, then it would be a waste of time.

Vicky

• Odd Duck
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
Ok, thanks!  :-*

But if they do decide to switch it over, I am fine to move over and start working there whilst it's being processed, right?

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
That depends on what was in the original application.  If the original application states that Belfast will be the employer throughout then you can't go and work directly paid by Leeds until the new permit is in.

Vicky

• Odd Duck
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
All right, I reread the info on the BIA website and I think I've got it straight now. I can't start being paid by Leeds until the permit is approved, but I can start before the FLR(IED) is granted as I have existing leave.

I *hope* the HR dept. knows these things and will make arrangements accordingly, but I want to know what's going on, for my own sake as well as keeping an eye on them!

You're a gem, Vicky!

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
In my experience, HR departments know SFA.  But if they want a professional assessment to make all of your lives easier, please point them in my direction.

Vicky

Sponsored Links