Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: House of Commons debate on documents needed for ILR  (Read 3367 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: House of Commons debate on documents needed for ILR
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 10:39:54 AM »
MP Godsiff has clearly indicated that the problem is exclusive to Muslim women.  Is this an accurate portrayal?

Not at all.  It can happen in any situation where one partner is on a higher income and prehaps owns the property and the non-EEA national simply moves in.

I think the main problem is a lack of information given to the couple when leave to enter/remain is first granted.  There is nothing that says 'you need to start preparing for your ILR now'.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:11:52 AM »
There is nothing that says 'you need to start preparing for your ILR now'.

The document I was given at Liverpool PEO does say that, if not in those exact words - "the evidence should cover the entire period [...] should be from at least five different sources [...] a total of 20 items of evidence" - but that rather relies on the applicant actually READING the sheet of paper that they're given, and on the PEOs and consulates actually issuing that sheet of paper in the first place.

• Banned

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:19:24 AM »
And those who apply from outside fo the UK don't get them at all.

Vicky

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »
Aha.  Yes, I was wondering about that.  Do you know if all the PEOs issue them, or just Liverpool?

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »
I am not sure.  I think it is hit and miss in Croydon.

Vicky

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »
I don't believe they issue that sheet from the US consulates. At least I didn't get one in New York in 2006.

The only reason I knew about the requirements is because I'm a member of this site. And even though I did know that you needed to start right away, I encountered some hiccups along the way when I first got here. I did put my name on the utilities very quickly, but those bills don't necessarily come every month, so don't show up right away. In this day in age, many people also do a lot of paperless bills and online banking. Obviously in hindsite we should have added my name before I arrived, but we were a little preoccupied with my husband starting a new job in London, planning a wedding, leaving my job, getting our spousal visa, and closing down my life in the US.

Crossposted with Vicky
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:38:10 AM by kate_mate »

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
The only reason I knew about the requirements is because I'm a member of this site.

Same here, when the husband got his FLR we didn't get the paper that Meg posted?

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
I didn't get that sheet either.

Nor, did anyone mention anything about the passport stamp issue.

It'd be great if they actually gave out a booklet of information with the visa.  Yes, it is our responsibility, but must people are so happy to get the visa they tend not to think about the next visa straight away!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »
The document I was given at Liverpool PEO does say that, if not in those exact words - "the evidence should cover the entire period [...] should be from at least five different sources [...] a total of 20 items of evidence" - but that rather relies on the applicant actually READING the sheet of paper that they're given, and on the PEOs and consulates actually issuing that sheet of paper in the first place.

I also got my FLR in Liverpool and I got the same sheet. In addition, when I arrived in the UK on my fiance visa, the IO at Manchester airport told me about applying for FLR after I got married.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »
I agree with what most everyone has said. When I moved here, I moved into a house that used to belong to DH's grandparents; we rent from his parents now. So a lot of things were either in my MIL's name or in DH's. It's been like pulling teeth to get my name on anything, let alone DH's. When DH called BT to get the account changed from his grandfather's name to his name, they even had the gall to say that the current account holder would have to cancel the account first. How could he when he was dead?! I have had a really hard time getting my name added to other things, and not for lack of trying. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

I find it interesting that nowhere on the ILR documents does it ask for a marriage license. It asks for a civil partnership certificate, but no marriage license. I am submitting ours just in case, but I would think that we be a no-brainer. Also, quite frankly, I'm surprised at the lack of guidance that the HO offers when issuing visas. When I got my spouse visa, I wasn't told anything about the next step. The only way I found about ILR was through this site, and I only found this site by accident. So hopefully, since everything else is in order and I do have some evidence and will have a letter from my GP stating that I have been a patient of hers from the beginning (to fill in the gaps when I have no mail), I won't have a problem. Even though I disagree that this is a just a Muslim issue, I'm glad that the issue has been brought up at all. Obviously, it has opened up a lot of debate.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
- but that rather relies on the applicant actually READING the sheet of paper that they're given,

or noticing that the FLR/spousal visa stamp has an expiration date, which would imply that you  have to do something to stay in the country afterward.

Garry, they can't actually make separate rules for Muslims, can they? (I agree that this is not just a Muslim issue.)

• Banned

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »

Garry, they can't actually make separate rules for Muslims, can they?

Absolutely not!

Vicky

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
or noticing that the FLR/spousal visa stamp has an expiration date, which would imply that you  have to do something to stay in the country afterward.

Yes, but those who don't realise they need to do something until six months after they've been here are most likely SOL when it comes to applying for ILR.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
Yes, but those who don't realise they need to do something until six months after they've been here are most likely SOL when it comes to applying for ILR.

Exactly.

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »
I should also add that reapplying for FLR isn't comforting for those (myself included) that are a bit hesitant to start having families until their status is permanent. 

Sponsored Links