Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advice on my proposed visa appliaction plan please.  (Read 1602 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Advice on my proposed visa appliaction plan please.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
As an American there's no way you'd be getting into the British consulate without an appointment, and you can't get appointment for visas anymore.

As far as I know, using a registered courier facilitation service (as opposed to simply sending the application in by FedEx or something) should shorten the time to process the application- from anecdotal reports it seems like it only takes a couple of days.  Which is why I recommended that you use a courier in my first reply.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »

As far as I know, using a registered courier facilitation service (as opposed to simply sending the application in by FedEx or something) should shorten the time to process the application- from anecdotal reports it seems like it only takes a couple of days. 

I will be doing that, thanks.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »
To save you both from worrying about how long the visa will take, isn't it a better idea for your fiance to fly to the UK alone? 

Probably not what you both want, but its really recommended to wait until the visa is in hand before booking flights. 

It favours us to risk booking the flight in advance, example:

I book the flight now for about $1,000

Everything goes according to plan, $1,000 is all we pay.
We get the dates wrong, it costs us $100 to change the flight + the increased fair for booking a flight very close to when the flight is needed, at least another $1,000

So, we either pay $1,000 or $2,100+

I book the flight only when the visa has arrived

Flight will cost around $2,000+

In the first scenario, we could pay a minimum of $1,000 if it goes to plan, $2,100+ if we muxk it up.
In the second scenario, we pay $2,000+ regardless.

By booking early, the most I stand to lose is $100, if I leave it late I could stand to lose a minimum of $1,000+

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
I know you aren't allowed to take the application to the consulate in person, but we will be passing through LA, maybe a couple of times, during the waiting period for the visa to be approved - in theory would we be able to pop in and give them a bit of a jolt...so to speak? Or just ask about the application?

Just out of curiousity, what is your reason for needing the visa faster than anyone else applying?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:22:05 PM by Yael »

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:56 PM »
Just out of curiousity, what is your reason for needing the visa faster than anyone else applying?

For various employment issues (due to who I am contracted to), I can realistically only spend a maximum of three weeks in the US (and even three weeks is pushing it), and the most important factor for me and my fiance is that we return to the UK together. I am planning on flying out on 20th Sept, wedding on 27th Sept - this leaves us 8 working days before the weekend we are hoping to return.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »
You don't HAVE to stay with your fiancee while she gets her visa.  If you HAVE to fly back, you have to fly back.  The consulate will not even let you on the elevator to the 12th floor unless you have an appointment.  You won't get an appointment for a visa and they won't let you just pop over for a visit. 

You've been given good advice about your timeline.  If you aren't open to suggestion or advice, why did you ask for it?  You've obviously made up your mind and your plans are set.  I hope it works out for you but I think your timeline leaves no room for error or delay.  You don't know what's going to happen and if for whatever reason, they need more time, you will waste a lot of money. 

FWIW, my visa took 12 days from LA. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »
I agree with Kristi.  I do hope everything works out for you, but its always best to plan accordingly.

I honestly don't think your situation warrants your fiance's visa being issued any quicker than anyone elses. 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:35:24 PM by Yael »

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
Presumably he wants the application process to go quickly.  Quite unlike all the other people who want it to be a long, drawn-out affair.  Didn't you know that?   ;D

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Presumably he wants the application process to go quickly.  Quite unlike all the other people who want it to be a long, drawn-out affair.  Didn't you know that?   ;D

You think?  I was really happy that I had to cancel any travel plans back home to visit my family this summer because of my ILR application.

I wasn't looking forward to warm weather or sun at all! :P

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
You don't HAVE to stay with your fiancee while she gets her visa.  If you HAVE to fly back, you have to fly back.  The consulate will not even let you on the elevator to the 12th floor unless you have an appointment.  You won't get an appointment for a visa and they won't let you just pop over for a visit. 

You've been given good advice about your timeline.  If you aren't open to suggestion or advice, why did you ask for it?  You've obviously made up your mind and your plans are set.  I hope it works out for you but I think your timeline leaves no room for error or delay.  You don't know what's going to happen and if for whatever reason, they need more time, you will waste a lot of money. 

FWIW, my visa took 12 days from LA. 

Can you do me a favour please? Go back over this thread and point out exactly where I have given ANY indication that I am not willing to take peoples advice, as I've been back over it myself and can't see where your arguement stems from.

All I have done is answer the questions put to me, and in one instance elaborated on it.

You told me that the time between my planned licence application and the wedding was over 90 days - it isn't! Not ignoring your advice, it simply is not over 90 days!
You then advised me about the time it takes to get the wedding certificate - I took your advice and rang the Santa Clara/San Jose clerk recorders office, and they said I could pick it up the next working day.
Those were the only two points you thought there would be a problem with, and I have looked into it and have found that they won't cause any issue.

I asked about visiting the consulate - a simple 'no, that won't be possible' would have sufficed, no need for the sarky remark.

One regular poster gives me grief, and it isn't long before another one jumps on the bandwagon - thanks garry, very constructive.

Finally, it is very important for us to travel back together - she has been to visit me four times in eight months, and in those four visits we have been to Europe twice. She has been hassled an unfair amount IMO on the return from Europe, to the degree where she was almost in tears and I had to go and speak to the Immigration Control 'Head Officer' (or whatever he is called), to make a complaint about the woman who was hassling my fiance - one of the things she said was that my fiance 'shouldn't assume the UK will let her in, just because she is married'!
FWIW - he agreed she was out of line and should have said no such thing.

If anyone has anything constructive to say, I would be glad to hear it, any sarky, unnecessary comments with an over-negative tone can be kept to yourself.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:22:55 PM by ticktock »

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
I did very well with a courier service.  E-mail confirmation in less than 24 hours, and was able to pick up my visa right away.  And I have a visa that most people, including the feared immigration officers, have never heard of!  Good luck to you!
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
If anyone has anything constructive to say, I would be glad to hear it, any sarky, unnecessary comments with an over-negative tone can be kept to yourself.

Actually, I think I was being nice.  Some people just don't like to hear what they don't want to hear.

Best of luck to you and your fiancee.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
Actually, I think I was being nice.  Some people just don't like to hear what they don't want to hear.

Best of luck to you and your fiancee.

My reply wasn't directed towards you, but please please do elaborate on how I have shown that 'I don't like to hear what I don't want to'. Please, I mean it. Quote where I have acted like this - you won't be able to. As said, I have merely replied to the questions put to me!
Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:20:36 PM by ticktock »

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
Sorry for the poke old *bleep*.  But to be fair it's taken 2 pages to get to the root issue.

Your fiance has been hassled by the Immigration Service and is now gun-shy about her landing interview.

In all the prior occassions, she did not have an entry clearance.  An entry clearance is issued by the UK government and means exactly what it says:  the holder has been cleared for entry into the UK.  When a British consulate affixes an entry clearance into a person's passport, they have all due rights to assume they may enter the UK and the Immigration Officer has fundamentally bugger all to say about it. 

What this boils down to is that a person with an entry clearance for settlement is a dramatically different case than somebody just showing up at a border point.  Please take to mind that the UK is a civilized country and if our government issues a fiance visa then that's pretty much it and all about it.

Hope that helps...

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »

You told me that the time between my planned licence application and the wedding was over 90 days - it isn't! Not ignoring your advice, it simply is not over 90 days!

I wasn't snarky.  I was simply giving you information you didn't seem to know.  Calm down.
You then advised me about the time it takes to get the wedding certificate - I took your advice and rang the Santa Clara/San Jose clerk recorders office, and they said I could pick it up the next working day.
Those were the only two points you thought there would be a problem with, and I have looked into it and have found that they won't cause any issue.

Fine.  You asked for advice.  I saw a possible snag.  Glad it's not a snag for you.  In the county where I live, it would be.

I asked about visiting the consulate - a simple 'no, that won't be possible' would have sufficed, no need for the sarky remark.

One regular poster gives me grief, and it isn't long before another one jumps on the bandwagon - thanks garry, very constructive.

Finally, it is very important for us to travel back together - she has been to visit me four times in eight months, and in those four visits we have been to Europe twice. She has been hassled an unfair amount IMO on the return from Europe, to the degree where she was almost in tears and I had to go and speak to the Immigration Control 'Head Officer' (or whatever he is called), to make a complaint about the woman who was hassling my fiance - one of the things she said was that my fiance 'shouldn't assume the UK will let her in, just because she is married'!
FWIW - he agreed she was out of line and should have said no such thing.

Again, I was giving you feedback.  It didn't seem to me like you wanted to hear what ANYONE had to say because you have it in your head that your plan is already sorted.  Your fiancee will not be hasseled when she has a visa.  There's no need for you 2 to travel back together if her visa is not issued in time. 

Good luck, again. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

Sponsored Links