Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Atypical financial situation when applying for visa?  (Read 582 times)

• Liked: 0
Atypical financial situation when applying for visa?
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »
When my fiance makes her visa application, as her sponsor (I will be her sponsor right?), I will more than likely be in an atypical financial situation and I'm not sure if it will affect the application.

I am currently working self-employed, and have been since before April (I may or may not have my contract extended in July/I may or may not be taken on as a permanent member of staff), but as things stand I am self-employed.

I missed the 3 month deadline to inform the IR that I was self-employed and realise I will get fined for that, and I have not yet had to do any tax returns (I believe I do them in Jan '09).

So when I show my savings and my proof of income, my savings I will show them will actually be my previous years tax to pay. Also, as I'm self employed, all I have are invoices and bank records of income.

Is there likely to be any problems with this situation? I earn a good wage, but any savings I would have had, on top of my tax savings, have been spent on six return flights to/from the US, and a trip to Europe (all for the benefit of myself and my fiance), but I can very easily afford to support us both until she starts working over here.

Will there be any query if I present the money in my account as savings, and will there be any query as to exactly what my financial situation is?

Thankyou.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Atypical financial situation when applying for visa?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
Yes, there will be a query.  They will want to know where the money came from, that earnings will continue, and that you are paying tax.

It is not atypical to be self employed, but you must prove continued ability to support.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
Yes, there will be a query.  They will want to know where the money came from, that earnings will continue, and that you are paying tax.

It is not atypical to be self employed, but you must prove continued ability to support.

Vicky

Thanks.

I can show them where the money came from (through invoices etc...), I can show them that the earnings will continue (letter from my boss hopefully(is that enough)), I can;t show I have been paying tax as I'm not due to pay tax until next year.

So where does that leave me?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
It leaves you in a difficult situation which needs explaining and which also needs some evidence of intent to pay tax.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
It leaves you in a difficult situation which needs explaining and which also needs some evidence of intent to pay tax.

Vicky

How would I go about explaining? Do I have to wait for the visa application to be sent in and then wait for them to...get back to me?!?

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
I would explain and send supporting evidence in advance.  I am afraid that I can't really give more detail than that without knowing the intricacies of your financial situation.  Please PM me if you'd like more assistance.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »
I would explain and send supporting evidence in advance.  I am afraid that I can't really give more detail than that without knowing the intricacies of your financial situation.  Please PM me if you'd like more assistance.

Vicky

Thanks.

PM sent.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
My situation is very different from yours, but my husband and I are also self-employed. When I applied for my spousal visa a few months ago I included my W2's from this past year but didn't include tax returns. I put in all relevant invoices, pay slips, and obviously bank statements.

Again, you can't go on anyone else's experience but we didn't have any questions asked regarding finances and our lack of tax returns. We did have a large chunk of savings, though.

Good luck.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
My situation is very different from yours, but my husband and I are also self-employed. When I applied for my spousal visa a few months ago I included my W2's from this past year but didn't include tax returns. I put in all relevant invoices, pay slips, and obviously bank statements.

Again, you can't go on anyone else's experience but we didn't have any questions asked regarding finances and our lack of tax returns. We did have a large chunk of savings, though.

Good luck.

That's provided a glimmer of hope it may not be an issue, but I don't know what a W2 is...I'm assuming is it some kind of tax form?

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:02 PM »
US version of a P60.

Vicky

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »
Ohhh...now I'm scared!

I'm posting my ILR app on Friday, and I don't see anywhere they've asked for tax returns or forms of any kind? We're self-employed, and I've only included the 3 months bank statements(along with the 40 documents-20 each) they asked for. Am I going to be in trouble?
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
I don't know without knowing what other documents you have supplied.  But if the only financial docs you have sent is three bank statements then it might make them wonder about the source of your income.  However, entry clearance is usually harder on this aspect.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab