Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Decided to go with a spousal visa.  (Read 410 times)

• Liked: 0
Decided to go with a spousal visa.
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »
After alot of deliberation, My h2b and I decided to get married in America and then apply for the spousal visa. I have a few questions, Does he need a visa to marry over here? Will the whole getting a marriage license affect him since he is not american? Also, We had almost everything set up for the fiance visa but since now we are switching, do we have to get recent bank statements? I was thinking of just sending them what we had, which is 6 months worth of bank statements and pay slips from sept of last year through march of this year. We will be applying in November. Is that ok? I know that alot of you guys were saying that going this route was better for my h2b and I's current financial problems. Plus, I'll be able to work right afterwards. Should I include a future budget on the application?

Re: Decided to go with a spousal visa.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
Hi Moonfaery. :)

Your FH will not need a visa in order to marry you in the US - he can enter as a visitor and marry you as long as he is not planning to settle in the US and the immigration officer believes him on this matter.  If he can get a copy of his lease or a letter from his employer stating that he's expected back to work on such-and-such a date, or anything else that shows that he's planning to return to the UK after you get married, he should be more than prepared for the landing interview (speaking to the immigration officer at passport control) when he arrives in the US.

As for what he might need to show or do in order to get married here - call your local courthouse (or the courthouse in the county where you plan to get married) and ask them what he needs.  Some places require blood tests; others just want to see a passport.  It differs by county so the best answers will come from your courthouse.

You'll need recent bank statements for the application.  If you're applying in November, bank statements from May to October would be best, or April to September - bank statements from March and earlier aren't going to be well-received by the ECO processing your application, as they don't show your current financial situation.

Finally, whenever there's ANY doubt about finances it never hurts to include a budget - I definitely think this is something you should do!  I've uploaded a couple of budget spreadsheet templates here - a basic one and a more detailed one. 

The basic budget:

Budget #1

A more detailed budget, tailored towards couples with no children or previous marriages, and/or those who rent their homes:

Budget #2

A couple of tips:

+ The lower your income, the more detailed your budget should be.

+ If a item does not apply to your situation, enter "0" in the field and move on.

+ A budget should be submitted as additional documentation and should not replace essential items such as bank statements and payslips.

Hope this helps! :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:49:19 PM by Meg »

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
Hey meg, Thanks for your answer! Totally helps! But your links don't work. :(  I really would love to look at them so if you can't fix them here, you can maybe e-mail me an attachement.

moonfaery19@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Whoops! I left off the file extension. :P  Should be all fixed now! :)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
Great! The first one worked but the second one didn't. which is the one I need. lol.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
Oh, actually neither of them worked because my computer doesn't do file extensions. I guess. Could you maybe copy and paste for me?

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
They're Excel files - if you have Excel, or another program that opens spreadsheets, you should be able to view them.  If you click on the link, you'll be asked if you want to download the .xls file. :)

Sponsored Links