Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does this sound realistic?  (Read 745 times)

• Liked: 0
Does this sound realistic?
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
Hi all,

I'm getting married to my USC fiancée on Dec 13th of this year. The wedding will be in Virginia, which allows you to get married as soon as you have a marriage licence, which in theory only takes 30 minutes of waiting to obtain.

I sadly can't get time off work until the 11th (I have accounting exams), so my plan is as follows:

In the 3 months leading up to the wedding, my fiancée and I will collect the documents we need (except for the marriage license), as described in the very helpful post here: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=39364.0

About 1 week before the wedding, my fiancée will make a visa application on ukvisas.gov.uk.

Thu 11th Dec - I arrive in Dulles and visit the nearest courthouse (it seems that in Virginia you can get permission from any county court to marry anywhere in the state, but I'll confirm this before arriving!).

Sat 13th - get married. Add marriage certificate to documents in folder. Go on honeymoon (within US, since she won't have her passport).

Mon 15th - Courier picks up folder from fiancée's parents house, delivers to nearest consulate (in DC, probably?).

2nd Jan - I fly home to get back to work, and she joins me ASAP.

Does this sound like a realistic plan? Is it ok for her to apply for the visa on the gov.uk website before getting married, provided (obviously) that we're married by the time we send the documents in?

Thanks a lot for any help,
tolstoy_fan

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Does this sound realistic?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
You have missed the all important biometrics from the list.

Question (to which I don't know the answer, or am not 100 per cent sure)...

Can she get the biometrics before the wedding?  I would guess yes....

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
Can she get the biometrics before the wedding?  I would guess yes....

Confirmed.

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
Ta.

The, I would suggest that she sends off the application form at least two weeks before the wedding, and makes an appointment for biometrics for some time before the wedding, ready to send everything off the day after.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
So in this case when you fill out the online form you complete it as if you were already married? Would it not raise questions if they saw you married after submitting the online application?

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
You complete it as if already married, not a problem.  Lots of people do this - the crucial thing is that you are married when you submit the paperwork by post.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks a lot for the responses. Glad I checked!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab