Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work based Visa Help  (Read 405 times)

• Liked: 0
Work based Visa Help
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
Good Afternoon all,

I have a friend in the US that wants to move to the UK. She is looking for a work based visa however after some research I think there might be some problems. She is 22, works as a Paralegal for a law firm and has a degree in Finance. Now I read somewhere that to be eligible for a work based visa you need to be earning a significant amount of money. As she is an entry level Paralegal I don't think she falls into this category. Will this prove to be an issue?

Once over here she seeks to start a career in Law. This will mean that she will have to complete a few exams and then go to a Law school of some kind (whilst probably having a job) so I am wondering if that will change her situation at all taking into consideration that it may be full time education?

If anyone could shed some light on to this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Work based Visa Help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
Well you don't have to be making a lot of money to get a work permit- you have to be more qualified than anyone in the UK or EU for the position however (which I imagine there are plenty of paralegals over here-or paralegal type roles)

However, there is something called HSMP (highly skilled migrant programme) or Tier 1 I think its called now, where based upon age, degree, qualifications, potential for money earned based off past earnings, you get so many points- if you have enough points (and enough proof that you actually meet them) then you can come here and work.

However, if she is wanting to go back to school, she may want to check out programs here in the UK and she may be better off on a student visa (but the downside is that she'll be paying international student rates, which are very expensive)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »
Thank you very much for the quick reply, I think I had heard about the HSMP or Tier 1 which is where I got the info about the amount of earnings. Is there anywhere that you can calculate your points or is it something that you can only find out by going through the process?

If she did go down the route of a student visa how easily transferable is it to a work visa after she qualifies?

Thanks again,

Dave

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:25 PM »
All she needs to know about work permits and HSMP/Tier 1 is here http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »
Many Thanks for the info, I will look it over now.

Dave

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
Well if your friend ends up deciding this is the route she wants to go, make sure and send her over here to get all the support she needs with everything!  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links