Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bankruptcy and Visas  (Read 574 times)

Bankruptcy and Visas
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
Someone (UKC) I know has an issue that I said I'd run past the visa experts here.  He's been talking to a woman in Russia and has met her in person.  The visit went well, and from what I gather, they are considering marriage.  I don't know how concrete the plans are, but they are definitely considering it.

He owns his own company which has suffered due to the credit crunch and some tax issues from years ago (which he had been trying to pay off when the market changed).  He's been talking to a counsellor and she has recommended bankruptcy because even a consolidated payment would be too much for him right now.  If he were to file and eventually have the income he'd need to support her application, would the bankruptcy effect things?

The second part of my question is would the bankruptcy effect others who live in the household who will be applying for an ILR? 

ETA: I know that there's no "bankruptcy question" on the spousal visa, but I wasn't sure how much they check.  And if he does decide to consolidate, that at least would be on his bank records.  Finally, the debt is partially with the government (although I am not sure if the bankruptcy would deal with the tax debt).  I guess I am clueless to how credit works here and how deep they check with visas.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:52:10 AM by Moggs »

Re: Bankruptcy and Visas
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »
If it's UK/Russian, you might consider putting them in touch with Caroline...

http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/consultation/

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »
It is, and I will pass the link along, Garry.  Thanks.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
As long as following the bankruptcy the sponsor can then afford to support the applicant, it won't matter.  It won't affect future applications either.  Bankruptcy is only really a bar to citizenship, and then only if it is the applicant who has been declared bankrupt.  Besides, bankruptcy is now discharged after one year.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
Thanks, Vicky.  I will pass all this information along to him.

Sponsored Links