Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New passport Old visa  (Read 554 times)

• Liked: 0
New passport Old visa
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
I just got married and need to change my name on my passport. This requires me to get a brand new passport. No big deal.

However, I have a big fancy visa that I kinda need in my current passport.

How can I make sure that visa will still be valid if the passport it's in will be canceled? Will that visa get transfered over to my new passport?

--Please note, you dont need to go into detail on the passport application process, I know it already. This is just about the visa.

--also, in case it matters, I am a US citizen currently living in the UK. I have to do all of this name changing stuff (including my social security card) through the US embassy.

Thanks

Re: New passport Old visa
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
What kind of big fancy visa do you have?  Just out of curiousity?

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »
the visa will still be valid, you don't have to do anything.  Just get a passport with your new name and use both the new and old passport (with name change documentation to be totally safe) whenever you travel or need to prove your immigration status.

You can get your visa transferred to your new passport if you wish, but that is *totally optional* and will cost you at least £160.  Much easier to just carry around 2 passports, in my opinion.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
Do you have any references to back that up?

The last border patrol officer I talked to told me the same thing. But Ive also had an officer tell me one thing and another officer think the opposite and deport me.

It would be great if I could have a copy of that rule kept in my passport with me along with a copy of my marriage certificate (great idea by the way)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »
The last border patrol officer I talked to told me the same thing. But Ive also had an officer tell me one thing and another officer think the opposite and deport me.

Border patrol officer?  Deported you? For having your (valid) visa in an old passport in your maiden name?  I don't think so!

If you do a search you will find countless threads on this, and lots of input from people who have done just this without any problems.  You don't need a copy of any 'rule'.

Oh, and you don't 'need' to change the name on your passport.  You chose to.

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »

Oh, and you don't 'need' to change the name on your passport.  You chose to.

Vicky

Glad you said that Vicky...everyone gets really annoyed with my when I say my passport is still in my maiden name but I don't see any reason to get it change until it has to be renewed anyway. Not official people, I mean family and friends etc.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:52:12 PM by PrincessJuls02 »
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
I would still like that reference if you have it, or know where I can find it.

Thanks

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »
Not a clue actually.  Never been asked for it before.  It may be on the Home Office website, so you can do a search there, but as it is something so universally acknowledged I've not had a need to find out where.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:43:05 PM »
girlnamedtom, I'm in a similar situation, and I think these are the links you're looking for:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/transfervisatopassport/

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/cost/

ronh

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
Key words from that link are:

"You do not need to have your residence permit (known as leave to remain) transferred to your new passport but you can do this if you wish.

If you do not have it transferred to your new passport, you should carry both your old passport and your new passport when you travel to the United Kingdom, as evidence of your resident status. If you cannot produce your original permit, you may not be allowed to enter the country."

Maybe we should make this a sticky because this question just comes up again and again.

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
I think we need to make clear that the search facility is there for a reason...

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »
Those links look good to me! Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab