Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: currently living in US and have questions about relocating to UK  (Read 518 times)

• Liked: 0
I know there are a ton of these types of questions already, but Im seriously confused about some stuff.  Ill start by explaining my situation.

I am a US citizen currently living in US.  I want to relocate to the UK for a little over a year.  I would like to work while there, but would not be in need of any assistance.  I also have an 8 year old daughter that would be going with me and would attend school while there. 

Do I need a passport and a visa
Just a passport or just a visa
If just a visa, which one
can I work while Im there?

How long does all this take?

Thanks!

Re: currently living in US and have questions about relocating to UK
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »
Hello Kimicara,

You will need your U.S. passport to then apply for a UK Visa.  To be able to work in the UK you need to meet some very specific criteria.  You can take a look at this website to determine if you qualify for a Visa:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

Hope that helps!  :)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »
Your daughter would also need a passport and visa. You would also need evidence of other parent's permission for daughter to live abroad, and your status of custody of her. 

On what basis are you hoping to come to the UK? Do you have a degree? What is your employment background? Is there a possibility of citizenship of another EU country through your parents?

The UK Visas website that TPT gave you will outline some of your options.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »
Hi kimicara, You can't just up here and move, we all wish it were than simple!

If you're moving here to be with a significant other, that is much easier than trying to get here other routes. If you have to get here other routes, than there are a few options off the top of my head: Tier 1 for highly skilled workers,which you have to qualify with enough points to be able to get here.  Then there are work permit routes.  An employer would sponsor you to work here- the downside being that they have to prove that you are more qualified than anyone in the UK or EU for that particular position, and you can't switch jobs without a lot of hassle.  I am here on a work permit. 

Here's a website for working:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/

And more information if you qualify for some other way to get here
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/

Best of luck!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links