Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Communities plan set out today  (Read 846 times)

Communities plan set out today
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Communities Secretary Hazel Blears has just published her plan for local communities to manage their immigrants better.

At first blush, much of the plan is basically motherhood and apple pie, i.e., stuff that looks good on paper.

One area of direct impact to UKY, however, is the rather worrying objective to review  the operation of the private rented sector including House of Multiple Occupation as it pertains to immigrants.

This is worrying to UKY because the a majority of our incomming spouses and fiances  use this strategy to meet the accommodation requirements.   This would presumably result in a new requirement to produce a confirmation from the local authority in the application evidence - even if it is the sponsor's parents.  It's something to watch going forward.

I can keep an eye on Hazel, no problem; but not on the 600+ communities out there.  So when this review starts in your community, I would appreciate an early heads-up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:33:19 PM by garry »

Re: Communities plan set out today
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
Assuming I ever get home (Wakefield - fiancée application sent), how would I keep track of immigration issues in my community? Do these things get handed down through the local council? Forgive my ignorance, I'm still trying to get my head around getting there, much less what happens next.

Erze

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Garry. Any idea when these will start? I'm one of the many that needs multiple occupancy to meet the accommodation requirements.
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
The pilot starts today in Breckland.   That's all we know at the moment, hence my request to hear anything going on out there in the shrubbery.

note:  nobody with an app in the pipeline is compromised because these things take some time to implement.  We need to keep an eye on it for future applicants, and to be sure they are not going to make a new rule that isn't workable. 

If they try to do something that isn't workable, Leah will complain to the Immigration Minister.  So our job is to watch and stay on top of it.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »
Good to know, thanks. I don't even know where to look to find out about immigration issues in my local area? I'm in Essex around the Basildon/Chelmsford area...
Juls xx

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Good to know, thanks. I don't even know where to look to find out about immigration issues in my local area? I'm in Essex around the Basildon/Chelmsford area...

I got a speeding ticket there a few years ago.   :-[

On the serious side, carrying the immigration policy to the local level is part of the new vision.  The UKY Advocacy Team should have all the details about it. 

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »
Buggery!

I missed this part in my first read:  She is saying that there will be an increase in application fees to cover the cost of this programme.  A *NEW* increase.  :o  For sure it won't happen today, tomorrow, or even next month.  But perhaps not long after that.

Brace yourselves peeps.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
Ok, so first legal immigrants were facing higher visa fees to combat the problems of illegal immigration.

Now non-EU immigrants are going to be facing higher visa fees to combat the problems of mass migration from the EU.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I'm reading this.

Sigh....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:18:05 PM by kate_mate »

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
Buggery!

I missed this part in my first read:  She is saying that there will be an increase in application fees to cover the cost of this programme.  A *NEW* increase.  :o  For sure it won't happen today, tomorrow, or even next month.  But perhaps not long after that.

Brace yourselves peeps.

Great...I'm assuming it will mean an increase in all applications including FLR and ILR. Ah!
Juls xx

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
Upon thinking about this for a bit, I suppose the fee increase is inevitable because Parliament has already given a green light on it.  They doubled the fees in 2007 and the number of applicants INCREASED, so not much of an argument can be made in the first instance.

But I am wondering how many couples who started out living at the sponsor's parents' house would have been successful if the local authority had to grant permission in addition to the parents themselves granting permission. 

Or how many soft money rental agreements amonst family would bear up to dispassionate scrutiny.

I'm sure an "official" reason will be that they need to protect immigrants from unprincipled landlords, but British people are not immune from unprincipled landlords so why create a special case?  I'm wondering what the "real" objective could be...

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
Or how many soft money rental agreements amonst family would bear up to dispassionate scrutiny.

I'm sure an "official" reason will be that they need to protect immigrants from unprincipled landlords, but British people are not immune from unprincipled landlords so why create a special case?  I'm wondering what the "real" objective could be...

That's our issue really, we pay rent every week but it's a soft money agreement, paid in cash and beyond taking it out of my husband's account every week, there is no money trail. Not entirely sure how that will fare for our upcoming ILR. But I very much doubt we would have been approved for the spousal visa if such permissions were needed in 2006.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:30:42 PM by PrincessJuls02 »
Juls xx

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
I briefly sorted notes with one of the liaisons.  Odds on we'll expect to see current fees at least treble in the next 5 years.  Treble is a minimum, conservative estimate. 

Like always, not today, not next month.

No further word on the Houses of Multiple Occupancy item.  One speculative observation is that it might be a counterploy to Article 8.  Any other ideas out there?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »
I don't understand this, frankly.  Other than it will discourage those in traditional families (ie Indian) where someone is more likely to stay living with family after marriage, and will discourage students and other 'youngsters' and the less well off.

They would have to change the wording of the immigration rules, but whether or not this would result in an increased number of Article 8 appeals, I don't know.

Vicky

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »
Would grounds of inadequate accommodation strengthen HOPO's defence against an Article 8 appeal?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »
It would be a seperate issue.  Human Rights is only considered after an appeal has failed on the rules.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab