Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Consular Notification thingy of Birth Abroad  (Read 80557 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Consular Notification thingy of Birth Abroad
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
The Embassy website says they only accept official marriage certificates when you register the birth of your child. My wife and I were married in the Church of England and our certificate (the only one we ever received), which was filled in by hand by our vicar, is headed "Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage Pursuant to the Marriage Act 1949". As I understood it, this would have been filed with the local registry office as an official document. Anyone know if CofE marriage certificates are acceptable?

While I don't know for certain that this would not be accepted, have you considered getting a certified copy of the record from the registry office?  It will likely come in handy for other things as well.  Will probably cost around £10.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
While I don't know for certain that this would not be accepted, have you considered getting a certified copy of the record from the registry office?  It will likely come in handy for other things as well.  Will probably cost around £10.
I just searched the Cambridgeshire registry office index and they have my name down incorrectly. Glad I checked! Will need to get them to fix that before ordering any certificates.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
I have lived in the UK for the past 10 years, I've been a dual citizen for the past 2 years, and I am just now starting the application process for Counsular Notification of Birth Abroad for my 1 year old and 4 year old.  How am I supposed to prove that I lived in the US for at least 5 years?  I lived in the US for the first 35 years of my life, but I didn't save any utility bills or pay stubs from the US after I moved to the UK, so how the hell am I meant to prove that I lived there?  Would a stack of photo albums of me growing up in the US work?

« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
I had transcripts (both high school and university), but they just used my university ones as that had my high school info on it.

Do you have any transcripts, old passports, or anything?  I think they are quite lenient on what they accept.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »
I have lived in the UK for the past 10 years, I've been a dual citizen for the past 2 years, and I am just now starting the application process for Counsular Notification of Birth Abroad for my 1 year old and 4 year old.  How am I supposed to prove that I lived in the US for at least 5 years?  I lived in the US for the first 35 years of my life, but I didn't save any utility bills or pay stubs from the US after I moved to the UK, so how the hell am I meant to prove that I lived there?  Would a stack of photo albums of me growing up in the US work?

I'm preparing for this as well. I only lived in the US til I was 18, so I'm going to use school records. My mom contacted the school district, and for $10 I can make an "application for enrollment verification". This form seems like it's something you need for US immigration/naturalization, so I'm hoping it will suffice for the embassy... Maybe your school district has something similar?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:51:07 PM by omglolmax »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
The University transcripts thing sounds doable.  I also have an expired passport from when I lived in the states, will that be enough?

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
How far back does the documentation of prior US residency need to go? We've got old US passports, and some W2s from the last few years we lived in the States and I can print out some bank statements, but it's probably just from the last 5 years (we've lived here 2.5).

Also, do they *really* want exact dates for the various places we've lived in the US? I don't remember precisely when I moved from Pennsylvania when I was two years old. I've tried to call the consulate in Edinburgh but I can't get a live person on the phone.

« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
I used my university transcripts for residency.  Old passports would work.

They are pretty relaxed about things.  If you remember month/year, I'd use that.  If it's just year, use that (I had a year one).  I know we moved briefly to another state when I was 4.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
Sorry I have another question about this. On the form that you have to fill out it asks for "precise periods of time in the US" of the parents. Do you literally have to put every day you have been in the US, i.e. including all holidays since moving abroad AND any interruptions due to international travel prior to moving abroad? Or could you just put the dates where you resided in the US and disregard trips home while living abroad?

That would be a nightmare!!!!

« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
It is a nightmare.  They do want all your trips in and out.  BUT they are super cool and relaxed about it.  Month/year is fine.  If you don't remember, you don't remember.  Just put what you do remember.  AND SAVE IT.  I found my copy yesterday (second due in a few weeks) and I am so freaking happy!  99% of the work is already done.

For this reason, I ALWAYS ask them to stamp my passport when I enter the US.  Keeps an easy record of travel dates.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
It is a nightmare.  They do want all your trips in and out.  BUT they are super cool and relaxed about it.  Month/year is fine.  If you don't remember, you don't remember.  Just put what you do remember.  AND SAVE IT.  I found my copy yesterday (second due in a few weeks) and I am so freaking happy!  99% of the work is already done.

For this reason, I ALWAYS ask them to stamp my passport when I enter the US.  Keeps an easy record of travel dates.
I have never not gotten my passport stamped when entering the US!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »
My returns to the US after visits abroad and my visit back in 2015 have all gotten stamps.

I wonder if it depends on the airport?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »
I have never not gotten my passport stamped when entering the US!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One time the guy went to hand it to me without a stamp.  I asked him to stamp it and have kept doing so ever since!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
Going in a few days. Noticed that they now require you to use DX for the delivery of the new passport. How much does DX charge these days?

« Reply #359 on: March 31, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Going in a few days. Noticed that they now require you to use DX for the delivery of the new passport. How much does DX charge these days?

Yeah, they've required that for awhile now.  Looks reasonable at £8.85.

Does that mean congratulations are in order?  And the baby wasn't born in France?   ;D

https://www.dxdelivery.com/consumer/dx-services-for-us-embassy/#pricing

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab