Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Parents Allowing Thier Kids To Pee In The Street  (Read 12179 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: Parents Allowing Thier Kids To Pee In The Street
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
with regards to the UK vs US thing, my parents next door neighbours always let their kids pee in the street if they are out playing...

So I have seen it plenty in the states!

Well, I don't know if one set of neighbor kids playing in thier own yard or street is seeing it plenty. It's really not the same as seeing it all over the place and as a common occurance.

Here is at least one product on the market that parents can use when they are out and about.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6087

I don't think it takes much for parents to teach their kids that it's unacceptable to pee wherever they want. If caught unawares, it's not impossible to be discreet and respectful of other people.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:33:47 PM by jtorres »
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
Ronald Reagan

�In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.� - Thomas Jefferson

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »
I don't think it takes much for parents to teach their kids that it's unacceptable to pee wherever they want.

Just curious. If these parents consider it acceptable for their small children to pee in the street, at exactly what age does it become unacceptable? When they are in the schoolyard?

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
I don't think that peeing in the streets is THAT common place.  There are certainly more public loos than there were 15-20 years ago and the outdoor ones are a LOT better kept than they used to be.  To be honest I don't see that many children OR adults peeing in the streets.  Although, thinking about it, a young guy at work got ARRESTED for peeing outside a club last year.  Which we all found hilariously funny.  But I wouldn't say it was a common problem.

• Banned

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »
I found this about people peeing in the street being common in Asia. It's kinda funny:

http://www.myseveralworlds.com/2007/12/19/some-thoughts-on-peeing-in-public/

Then this poor Czech guy and cultural differences, also a bit funny:

http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/books-literature/czech-pee-street/

Public urinals a solution?
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/press/urilift-pee-in-the-street-without-a-ticket-215880.php

We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
Ronald Reagan

�In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.� - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 12:50:26 AM »
To be honest I don't see that many children OR adults peeing in the streets.  

I don't really see them either, but you can smell it afterward.  Its horrible having to walk through alleys or use lifts that reek of urine.   :-\\\\ [smiley=puke.gif]

• Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 01:28:20 AM »
I don't really see them either, but you can smell it afterward.  Its horrible having to walk through alleys or use lifts that reek of urine.   :-\\\\ [smiley=puke.gif]

or phone booths in central london.. yay for mobiles.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 07:03:12 PM »
I get the feeling that maybe the mother was peeved at being told what to do in a public street which does not belong to any individual. Also nobody has a right to place signs on the public footpath and expect them to remain inviolate. When in Rome...

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 07:18:35 PM »
Well, if the mother was using her child to "get back" at Lucy then that's even worse.

When in Rome?  Since when is the UK a public urinal? 

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
I do understand that it is not very nice to see a stream of urine in the street, and I think the least a decent parent should do, when coping with a child who is "taken short", is make them pee in the gutter so that folk don't have to walk in it. If the child is older than about three they should have learned to manage their bladder. I also think that many people in the UK feel that the public streets belong to everybody, and that nobody has the right to lecture anyone else about what they do, as long as it is not illegal. Hackles can easily be raised.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 07:37:36 PM »
Isn't peeing in the street illegal?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »
Isn't peeing in the street illegal?

A 3 year old can't be held legally liable for anything. There's no actual offence of urinating in public but someone doing so could be prosecuted for indecent exposure maybe or more likely some kind of public disorder offence.

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
I know a 3 year old cannot be held liable, but I would think his mother could be (if urinating in the street was illegal).

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
I think this may be a culture shock thing? You know, like Americans thinking Brits are terribly rude and vulgar for talking about toilets instead of "restrooms"? Most Brits would not really think very much wrong in seeing a three year old or younger being encouraged to discreetly pee in the street. Not many would really think seeing a kid's weeing tackle was all that shocking or disgusting. Certainly not bad enough to start talking about crimes being committed. That's just the way it is. Sorry.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
I think you're missing my point.

I don't think a parent having their young child discreetly pee in the street because they might pee themselves is a crime at all.

I do think a parent encouraging their child to deface someone else's property (be it in a public street or not) by peeing on it is wrong. 

IMO, there is a difference.  Its not culture shock, as I doubt most parents in the UK would encourage their child to do that.  Its nasty.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »
I understand the point you're trying to make, but also wanted to say that LuckyCuz is a Brit.  And I wouldn't consider weeing on someone's sign to be exactly a discreet maneuver.  Even if the woman's hackles were raised, discretion seems to have gone out the window (or rather in the street and on the sign) in this instance. :P

cross-posted with Yael

(And no, I don't find 'toilet' or a little kid weeing discreetly in the street particularly shocking. :))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:08:23 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab