Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What am I supposed to do???  (Read 990 times)

• Gotta skate!!!
  • Liked: 0
What am I supposed to do???
« on: May 12, 2004, 04:31:10 PM »
Hi,
   My question(s)..are as followed...what form am I to fill out to file my taxes for the year 2003...this is my story..I am an American citizen, I worked in the US until May 2003, I was married to a Brit in June 2003, moved over to the UK on a spousal visa in June about a week after we married, I started working here in the UK, nothing big, just a part time cashier...I filed my 2003 taxes for my job in the US, dad filled them out for me and sent them to me to sign then I sent them in, now my hubby and I are in the process of getting him a visa to move back to the states...and I found out I need to file what I have made while living here, so I called the Irs, got a real "helpful" guy...NOT!!!! Anyway he says I need to file a 1040x and a 2555...I have never filed out a tax return in my life and my poor british hubby dosent know a thing about them...Im stuck...HELP!!! I only made £2552.00 , Im afraid Ill have to pay US taxes on that, and believe me, we have no money, plus that is if I can figure out the paperwork...these taxes are worse than dealing with the immigration paperwork...any help would be greatly appreciated, Im a nervous wreck....Thanks in advance for the kind soul that will help with this
Jeannine
Balto, to Notts, to Balto again!!!!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: What am I supposed to do???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:39:10 PM »
My understanding is that if you earn less than the equivalent of $80,000, you do not have to pay USA Federal Tax. Depending upon what State you live in, you may owe back tax on that but I expect you could get that sorted out - a pain but probably not the end of the world! Your best bet is probably to call Helen who moderates this thread. I think her phone number is in the list of businesses that advertise on this site (from the main home page). I'm sure others will have something to offer, too!  ;D Chin up, it'll get sorted, I promise!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 04:49:06 PM »
That's great info Jemima, but I will stress that she may owe state tax. Only a few US states do not have income tax (Florida and Texas are 2 I believe). The rest of the states, unlike the Fed Gov't, do not give credit for tax paid in the UK and tax is owed on any income earned.

Anyway, it may not impact her visa stuff now on a Federal level but it could come back to haunt her later - though it shouldn't be for much since she hasn't earned much.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 04:51:35 PM by balmerhon »
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Gotta skate!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 05:38:45 PM »
Hi,
  I wasnt aware that I would even need to file ammended state tax, just federal as I dont reside in the states, I filed for 2003 for tyhe state of Maryland for what I earned while living in that state...hmmmm, now I really am confused
Jeannine

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 03:37:38 PM »
As Jemima said, once you do your amended federal tax form, you should find that your adjusted gross income is exactly the same as your AGI on your original income tax form, so there would be no need to amend your MD state tax form.

Edit: actually, there is a line on the MD tax form that asks for all your annual income (which would include what you made in the UK), and that will be different, but the amount of tax you should have paid (which is based on your federal AGI) should be the same.  To be absolutely correct, I guess you could file an amended MD form because of that little difference.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:41:05 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

• Gotta skate!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 07:43:08 PM »
Thanks all for the help, I contacted my Dad,who is very good with taxes, and hes going to research this for me and when I go over to the states on Saturday for a visit, we will do the paperwork...thank God for Dads... :)....Hes a life saver...
Jeannine

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab