Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Naturalization based on Spouse- but started on WP/HSMP  (Read 584 times)

• Liked: 0
Naturalization based on Spouse- but started on WP/HSMP
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
i think i've got my brain confused-

sep 03- entered UK on WP
mar 07- changed to HSMP
sep 08- applying for ILR.

I was going to apply for naturlization sep 09. 

However- if I marry the brit in let's say April 09- can I apply for Naturalization right away?  Or do I have to wait until I've completed a full year on ILR?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Re: Naturalization based on Spouse- but started on WP/HSMP
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »
if you're married to a brit, I believe you don't have to have had ILR for 12 months, regardless how you obtained ILR in the first place.  That's my understanding, anyway (I could always be mistaken, though!)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
that's what i vaguely remember- but i've read the AN notes & form and can't find it specifically addressed.

(i think most spouses come here directly on spousal visa, and since spouses need 3 years residencey they just naturally have a full year on ILR (2 yrs FLR + 1 yr ILR)).

I'm pretty sure we have some members who are like me- hopefully someone'll chime in with their experience!
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »
Oh, if it's that you're worried about, you *definitely* don't need a year on ILR to naturalise based on being married to a Brit.  As in my case, I've been resident here on a student visa and IGS since sept 2006...say I get ILR based on 2 years on FLR(M) in July 2010, I'd be eligible for citizenship at that time since I had been resident since before July 2007, and don't need to worry about the 12 month business at all.

What I'm not 100% on is if you get ILR not based on marriage and subsequently apply for citizenship based on marriage to a Brit- I'm 99.9% positive that you still don't need the 12 months on ILR in that case, but I'd have to go back and read the relevant law to be sure.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
You are right - the 12 months on ILR is no longer needed.  Once you marry, as long as you have the three years residency (in any capacity) and have ILR you can apply to naturalise immediately.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab