Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The most annoying expressions...  (Read 106935 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: The most annoying expressions...
« Reply #1005 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
He hates the word 'tea' as a meal,

So do I! Good for your husband!  ;D

If there was some nation-wide agreement on these terms it would be so much clearer!

People should all just do it my way and then there'd be no confusion.  ;) :P
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #1006 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

OK by me  ;)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 9
« Reply #1007 on: May 31, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »
So do I! Good for your husband!  ;D

I secretly hate it too. I figure it is just because to me, tea is either in a glass with ice, or steaming hot in a mug, and you drink it, so the whole concept of it being food seems odd.

On the supper thing, I will never forget the first time I heard it mentioned here. My nephew, who was 5 at the time, was being told he could have a bag of M&Ms for his supper, and I remember thinking he had the coolest mum ever! Then I found out it was a bedtime snack, and found it odd to call it supper.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1008 on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:48 AM »
I secretly hate it too. I figure it is just because to me, tea is either in a glass with ice, or steaming hot in a mug, and you drink it, so the whole concept of it being food seems odd.

On the supper thing, I will never forget the first time I heard it mentioned here. My nephew, who was 5 at the time, was being told he could have a bag of M&Ms for his supper, and I remember thinking he had the coolest mum ever! Then I found out it was a bedtime snack, and found it odd to call it supper.
Don't think a bag of sugar and chocolate before bed is a good idea for a child (or an adult, really)  :-X

I think the idea of 'tea' being food isn't that the meal is tea but that the meal is *for* tea-time.  If that makes sense.  I don't hate it but I don't say it myself.  I don't say 'dinner' when I mean lunch either.  I'd feel like I was trying to impersonate a person from Yorkshire if I did.  (I know they say it elsewhere as well.)
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #1009 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »
I think the idea of 'tea' being food isn't that the meal is tea but that the meal is *for* tea-time.  If that makes sense.  I don't hate it but I don't say it myself.  I don't say 'dinner' when I mean lunch either.  I'd feel like I was trying to impersonate a person from Yorkshire if I did.  (I know they say it elsewhere as well.)

I believe 'tea' as a meal comes from 'Afternoon Tea' or 'High Tea' which originated in the 1800s.

From Wiki:
Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea is a small meal snack typically eaten between 2pm and 5pm. The custom of afternoon tea originated in England in the 1840s.[2] At the time, the various classes in England had a divergence in their eating habits. The upper classes typically ate luncheon at about midday and dinner (if not eschewed in favor of the later supper) at 8:00 pm or later, while the lower classes ate luncheon at about 11:00 am and then a light supper at around 7:00 pm.[3] For both groups, afternoon tea filled a gap in the meals. The custom spread throughout the British Empire and beyond in succeeding decades. However, changes in social customs and working hours mean that most 21st Century Britons will rarely take afternoon tea, if at all.

High tea

High tea (also known as meat tea[9]) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 7pm. It is now largely followed by a lighter meal later in the evening.[citation needed]

High tea typically consists of a hot dish such as fish and chips, shepherd's pie, or macaroni cheese, followed by cakes and bread, butter and jam. Occasionally there would be cold cuts of meat, such as ham salad. Traditionally high tea was eaten by middle to upper class children (whose parents would have a more formal dinner later) or by labourers, miners and the like when they came home from work. The term was first used around 1825 and high is used in the sense of well-advanced (like high noon, for example) to signify that it was taken later in the day.[10]

The term “high tea” was used as a way to distinguish it from afternoon tea. Though it is often stated that the words "low" and "high" refer to the height of the tables from which either meal was eaten, the term for the later meal actually relates to the usage of "high" as in the phrase "it's high time".[11] Afternoon tea was served in the garden where possible; otherwise it was usually taken in a day room, library or salon where low tables (like a coffee table) were placed near sofas or chairs generally (hence the fallacy about it being low tea).[12] Most quality hotels in Britain serve afternoon tea, frequently in a palm court, and more recently have offered the option of champagne instead of tea.

So, essentially, there can be several different meals in the day: Breakfast, Elevenses/Brunch, Lunch (about midday), Afternoon Tea (about 3 or 4 pm), High Tea (5-7 pm), Dinner (about 8 pm), Supper (about 9 or 10 pm).

Over the years, this formality of dining has been relaxed and now a lot of families will call their evening meal 'tea' (bigger than an afternoon snack, but smaller than full-out dinner) and have it about 5 or 6 pm.

Also, people can have different names for their 3 main meals, so it depends what you call each one as to what the evening meal is called:
- Breakfast, Lunch, Tea
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast, Dinner, Supper
- Breakfast, Dinner, Tea

« Reply #1010 on: June 01, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
I don't say 'dinner' when I mean lunch either.  I'd feel like I was trying to impersonate a person from Yorkshire if I did.  (I know they say it elsewhere as well.)

DF says 'dinner' for lunch and it still confuses me! I'm not sure if he says it because he picked it up from his dad (from Yorkshire) or if it's because they say it around these parts. Either way, whenever he asks me what I had for dinner (at 2 PM), I'm still puzzled.  ???

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1011 on: June 01, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
Ours is breakfast, lunch and supper. Supper's usually at 7:30 or 8pm. I cannot fathom eating at 5!!

That said, my fave meal of the day, though I rarely have it, is elevenses!  :D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #1012 on: June 01, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Yes, elevenses is good!  :D

The info on "afternoon" vs. "high" tea is interesting. I was aware of the difference but always thought it was odd that Americans think "high" tea means the kind of spread you would get at Fortnum and Mason with scones and clotted cream and sandwiches, etc. (although F & M call that "afternoon" tea)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #1013 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I always thought High Tea was sort of referring to "high" society - so then it would make sense that it would be the full spread of cakes and scones, etc.  Good to know it just means "later" :)

« Reply #1014 on: June 01, 2012, 07:02:42 PM »
Ours is breakfast, lunch and supper. Supper's usually at 7:30 or 8pm. I cannot fathom eating at 5!!

I hate eating dinner (supper) as late as that--I'm *starving* by the time I get home from work.  I usually don't get a chance to eat much for lunch and I'm standing / active at work all day, so ravenous by 6 or 6:30, but have to compromise with hubby so we usually eat between 6:30 and 7:00.
Married October 2007

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #1015 on: June 01, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
I hate eating dinner (supper) as late as that--I'm *starving* by the time I get home from work.  I usually don't get a chance to eat much for lunch and I'm standing / active at work all day, so ravenous by 6 or 6:30, but have to compromise with hubby so we usually eat between 6:30 and 7:00.

I agree completely! Eating too late does not sit right with me.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 2
« Reply #1016 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
As for the term "tea" being used for dinner...

Soon after I moved to the UK, my husband's aunt invited us over for dinner, but she used the term "tea". I was expecting to go to her house and have a cup of tea and possibly a cookie. I was surprised when the table was set and she began serving us food! My husband had to explain what "tea" was to me later. I asked him how you know the difference, if someone is inviting you round for tea, if they mean a cup of tea or dinner. He couldn't tell me how you know the difference (he's bad with explaining British things to me, as he lived in the States for so long).

Am I correct in assuming the "tea" is usually used for an early dinner? After so many years, I honestly don't know the difference. I always hear people using the term "tea" for their children's dinner, but the same people say "dinner" when they go out to eat.

« Reply #1017 on: June 02, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »
As for the term "tea" being used for dinner...

Soon after I moved to the UK, my husband's aunt invited us over for dinner, but she used the term "tea". I was expecting to go to her house and have a cup of tea and possibly a cookie. I was surprised when the table was set and she began serving us food! My husband had to explain what "tea" was to me later. I asked him how you know the difference, if someone is inviting you round for tea, if they mean a cup of tea or dinner. He couldn't tell me how you know the difference (he's bad with explaining British things to me, as he lived in the States for so long).

Am I correct in assuming the "tea" is usually used for an early dinner? After so many years, I honestly don't know the difference. I always hear people using the term "tea" for their children's dinner, but the same people say "dinner" when they go out to eat.
In the north (I'm in Yorkshire) 'tea' describes dinner no matter what time you have it.  Most people I know have it at some point when they are home from work, so any time from about 5:30 until late.

I'd say if someone invites you to 'tea' anywhere in that time region, be prepared for dinner.

Also when people 'go out to dinner' here (evening meal) they usually say they are 'going out for a meal'.  To me that sounds a bit strange, almost like going to a place where they hand out hot meals to homeless people. 

As for supper, I've only heard that used once (though I'm sure it is used often) when our friends gave their little girl some crackers and a drink before bed.

Also cookies here are almost always 'biscuits' unless describing an American treat specifically.
Married October 2007

• Liked: 2
« Reply #1018 on: June 02, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
Also cookies here are almost always 'biscuits' unless describing an American treat specifically.
The word cookie sounds almost foreign to me now, as do words like soccer and garbage. I actually find myself trying to think what the American word is for certain things.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #1019 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »
Funny story: during one of our very first times out to eat, me and my boyfriend went to Bob Evans for breakfast. He ordered pancakes which are, of course, very sweet, very syrupy... he said, "this is almost like pudding." I had no idea what he was talking about. I'd only known pudding as the basic vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, etc. I let it slide and I didn't ask what his version of pudding was. Only later did I find out that pudding means the same thing as dessert in the UK.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links