Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The most annoying expressions...  (Read 106880 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: The most annoying expressions...
« Reply #1050 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
Amazeballs.

Just .... don't.

[smiley=laugh4.gif] I would have to agree with you.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #1051 on: July 10, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »
Thank you.  I see this more and more often on my Facebook wall and am "this" close to de-friending simply for the use of this word.

Ha! The one I'm close to defriending people for is "dot com." Don't know if it's been mentioned already because I don't want to read 70 pages to get caught up, sorry! But so many people are saying they are tired.com, confused.com, etc. I hate it!

« Reply #1052 on: July 11, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
Amazeballs.

Just .... don't.

Opps! I'm guilty of this one! It's not a word I use regularly, (I think I've said it on facebook twice in like 8 months) But it does slip out once in a blue moon!

I've never heard the "dot.com" isms...there is one going around though that I don't understand and so am a bit confused about! I was trying to find an example of a post but darn my luck I all the sudden can't find them...But they end with a # sign then all in one word it can say something like frustratedandreadytokickbutt...LOL! I'm finding it annoying now!
~Amberelle

• Liked: 0
« Reply #1053 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
Opps! I'm guilty of this one! It's not a word I use regularly, (I think I've said it on facebook twice in like 8 months) But it does slip out once in a blue moon!

I've never heard the "dot.com" isms...there is one going around though that I don't understand and so am a bit confused about! I was trying to find an example of a post but darn my luck I all the sudden can't find them...But they end with a # sign then all in one word it can say something like frustratedandreadytokickbutt...LOL! I'm finding it annoying now!

That's known as a hashtag. :) It really bugs me when people do it on Facebook, because there's no reason to do it on Facebook. It got big in the early days of Twitter - the hash symbol was a search alert of sorts - anything preceded by a hash was turned into a link, which would send you to a list of tweets with the same hashtag in it. It was used for conferences or events or news, for example. After a while, people started coming up with their own (sometimes super-long) hashtags as something of a joke - like #thingsadogwouldsay or #fightingwithsnowmen - and sometimes others would pick it up and play with it, and sometimes it was so obscure or individual, it was the only one of its kind (which was the point of the joke hashtags - making its writer a club of one).

It's still a searchable thing on twitter, like always, but since you can't really search that way on Facebook, there's not much point that I can see. Though, to be honest, I've done it from time to time (I think twice in the year and half I've been on Facebook) to mock my friends who do it. :P

Amazeballs.

Just .... don't.

Just to add.... This. I hate this so much. It doesn't even flow off the tongue; how did it pick up so much steam?
9 Aug 11 - Married <3
14 Jan 12 - Submitted spousal visa application online
17 Jan 12 - Biometrics and mailed
19 Jan 12 - Visa issued!
21 Feb 12 - Moved to the UK!
01 May 13 - Passed the LitUK test :D
19 Mar 14 - Applied for ILR via checking service
29 Mar 14: Rec'd biometrics letter (dated 27 Mar) and completed biometrics same day
11 Jul 14: ILR approved
14 Jul 14: BRP and approval letter received
2 Dec 14 - Eligible to apply for citizenship

• Liked: 3
« Reply #1054 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Amazeballs - this is the first I've heard of it!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #1055 on: July 11, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
That's known as a hashtag. :) It really bugs me when people do it on Facebook, because there's no reason to do it on Facebook. It got big in the early days of Twitter - the hash symbol was a search alert of sorts - anything preceded by a hash was turned into a link, which would send you to a list of tweets with the same hashtag in it. It was used for conferences or events or news, for example. After a while, people started coming up with their own (sometimes super-long) hashtags as something of a joke - like #thingsadogwouldsay or #fightingwithsnowmen - and sometimes others would pick it up and play with it, and sometimes it was so obscure or individual, it was the only one of its kind (which was the point of the joke hashtags - making its writer a club of one).

It's still a searchable thing on twitter, like always, but since you can't really search that way on Facebook, there's not much point that I can see. Though, to be honest, I've done it from time to time (I think twice in the year and half I've been on Facebook) to mock my friends who do it. :P

Just to add.... This. I hate this so much. It doesn't even flow off the tongue; how did it pick up so much steam?

To add, hashtags also work on G+. Also, they work as an aside or an editorialising of the comment in question. It's a way of establishing mood within the character limit.  I love hashtags.

Oh, another thought, if you're seeing hashtags on FB it's probably people who are cross posting from twitter and you're just losing the functionality. #twitteriswaycoolerthanfb

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1056 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
Oh, another thought, if you're seeing hashtags on FB it's probably people who are cross posting from twitter and you're just losing the functionality. #twitteriswaycoolerthanfb

I think that's sometimes the case, but more often than not it's just annoying people thinking they're far funnier than they are.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #1057 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »

I think that's sometimes the case, but more often than not it's just annoying people thinking they're far funnier than they are.

Yeah, but that's just facebook ;).  I'm with noirem, I think the hashtags are fun.  It's always tricky to convey humour or irony on the internet; we need tools to help us, and as such hashtags aren't any worse than emoticons as long as they're used wisely. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1058 on: July 11, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
I think there are also apps and web sites that let you cross post across twitter, fb, etc. isn't Hoot Suite one of them?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
Yeah, but that's just facebook ;).  I'm with noirem, I think the hashtags are fun.  It's always tricky to convey humour or irony on the internet; we need tools to help us, and as such hashtags aren't any worse than emoticons as long as they're used wisely. 

That and clearly I am as funny as I think I am  ;)

• Snaps
« Reply #1060 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »
I stand by what I said. I do know that it started on Twitter and that a lot of people do cross-post from Twitter. However, people have even started peppering their conversation with that ridiculous "hash tag" thing and it is not nor ever will be amusing.

Hrmph.

« Reply #1061 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
Every day is a school day! Didn't know about the hashtags and now I do!! It's not as annoying now that I know it's purpose...But probably not something I will adopt to do myself. Thanks everyone!
~Amberelle

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #1062 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
None of that bothers me at all. I kinda like amazeballs too!

To me it just demonstrates that language is alive and constantly changing. It's never static and it keeps things interesting. That does not mean I will join in, but it's still good people watching. :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
I'd be willing to let all of my annoying expressions go if people would stop posting facebook updates with deliberate spelling and grammar mistakes. I'm not sure if it's just my age group that does this (24), but I see it all the time.

Surely, it takes more effort to say "mY Bb GUrl iz teh mOsTE pRESHioS GIft" than it does to say "My baby girl is the most precious gift." That is what really gets me. Yeah, not everyone is an amazing speller or amazing with grammar, but I know you graduated from high school and know how to spell some words and construct a basic sentence, so stop pretending to be borderline illiterate. You don't look cool.

• Snaps
« Reply #1064 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »
ZOMG

Can't stand that one either. Apologies, but I'm in a cranky mood today. And that, whichever way you slice it, is awful.

it's still good people watching. :)

I love people-watching too, but not when it starts to become painful.  :-\\\\

Sponsored Links