Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The most annoying expressions...  (Read 106773 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: The most annoying expressions...
« Reply #1095 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
I reminds of fidy cent (the rapper or whatever he is).... sounds wrong to me, too  ::)

Doesn't he have missing teeth? Or is it his local accent that makes that pronunciation?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #1096 on: October 07, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
Doesn't he have missing teeth? Or is it his local accent that makes that pronunciation?

No idea, but I lived around too many people in Virginia that felt the need to extend the (mis)pronunciation to other words when they wanted to try to be cool.   ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 3
« Reply #1097 on: October 07, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
Purpose built. I am sure I have moaned about it before, but here I go again. Of course it is a purpose built stadium, shopping mall, house, etc. It isn't like someone is going to build a stadium and hope someone will some day think about using it for sports, a shopping complex, or some other fantastic idea.

I generally see that as meaning for that sole purpose - e.g. a purpose built football stadium, i.e. it was built for football games, no running track etc.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 9
« Reply #1098 on: October 08, 2013, 12:57:53 AM »
That makes sense, and I see the reasoning behind it. I suppose it is the need to point out that they built a football stadium for the purpose of football seems a bit Captain Obvious to me, when people say it. Maybe I am over thinking it.?
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 12
« Reply #1099 on: October 08, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
There seems to be a lot of use (overuse) of the term "bespoke" these days.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
"In my/your/his/her wheelhouse". No more with the wheelhouse, please.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 2
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
Two phrases I hear (mainly from DH and his family) that both drive me bat-s#*t crazy:

What side is it on? - interpretation, what tv channel is that show on?

It's on the side. - interpretation, it's on the kitchen counter, computer desk, mantlepiece, etc, etc, etc.

I can't even find a good explanation on the web as to why they say either of these. Does anybody have a link?

« Reply #1102 on: October 10, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »
Two phrases I hear (mainly from DH and his family) that both drive me bat-s#*t crazy:

What side is it on? - interpretation, what tv channel is that show on?

It's on the side. - interpretation, it's on the kitchen counter, computer desk, mantlepiece, etc, etc, etc.

I can't even find a good explanation on the web as to why they say either of these. Does anybody have a link?

I think side relating to TV channel goes back to their only being 2 channels (BBC and ITV), so which "side" of the dial.

As for relating to kitchen counter, thought that was more self-explnatory. Also my parents had a sideboard - basically a free standing unit consisting of cupboards, shelves, drawes, display cabinet, so maybe it stems from that.

I refer to the kitchen counter as "the board", because as a kid that's all it was. Caught DW out with that the first time when she was asking where something was and I said, "it's on the board in the kitchen", she had no idea what I meant so then I said "on the side" and she still didn't know, I had to go in the kitchen and show her as I couldn't remember the American term!
The best one recently was when I told her that the cats had got hold of a cotton reel, and she was saying "whats that", so I said "errr a reel of cotton" and she still didn't know....the only way I could explain was to go and get one! "Oh, thread" she said.

« Reply #1103 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
"In my/your/his/her wheelhouse". No more with the wheelhouse, please.

No idea on that one, in what context is it used?

« Reply #1104 on: October 25, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
I can't stand it when I say something an my husband looks at me an says 'You what ?' I keep thinking I did something instead he means repeat that.
Hes so not funny he told me h was going to get me a shirt that says 'I only speak an understand American' lol
Online application completed: Oct 8, 2013
Biometrics completed: Oct 11, 2013
Priority Service Paid: Oct 11, 2013
Application / Docs shipped: ct 11, 2013
Application / Docs arrived: Oct 16, 2013
Application being processed: Oct 16, 2013
Decision had been made email: Oct 18, 2013
package on its way: Oct 23. 2013
Approved visa in hand Oct 25. 2013

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #1105 on: October 26, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
No idea on that one, in what context is it used?

It's sort of akin to "That's right up my alley!". So if someone is talking about something that you might be interested in or something you're good at, they would say it's in your wheelhouse. I think it's a baseball term but I wouldn't swear to it!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1106 on: October 26, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
I think it's a baseball term but I wouldn't swear to it!

Your wheelhouse is the place you'd ideally like the pitcher to aim the ball if you're batting.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #1107 on: October 26, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
It's sort of akin to "That's right up my alley!". So if someone is talking about something that you might be interested in or something you're good at, they would say it's in your wheelhouse. I think it's a baseball term but I wouldn't swear to it!

I always took it to be a boating preference as that's where the wheel of the ship is located.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #1108 on: October 27, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »
I always took it to be a boating preference as that's where the wheel of the ship is located.

That is how I took it when I read it, but I thought it might have been because we haven't missed an episode of 'Deadliest Catch'.

I can't stand it when I say something an my husband looks at me an says 'You what ?' I keep thinking I did something instead he means repeat that.
Hes so not funny he told me h was going to get me a shirt that says 'I only speak an understand American' lol

I've heard so many people say 'Do what?' that any time I heard 'You what?'. my mind would automatically switch it over.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #1109 on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
There seems to be a lot of use (overuse) of the term "bespoke" these days.

Yes! Whatever happened to just saying custom? lol
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab