Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The most annoying expressions...  (Read 106787 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: The most annoying expressions...
« Reply #1110 on: November 10, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
It drives me crazy when people say overly used sayings here like "Does what it says on the tin", I know what it means but it's super annoying and not everything comes in a tin! Sorry but I just think its cheesy  ???

Also when people refer to themselves as more than one person. I've never heard people talk like this until I moved to the UK. I work in retail and I always get customers saying "Can you tell us where the ___ are?", and I will look up and its just a single person, nobody with them.

One more thing- when people say "Aww bless". It's normally when somebody does something that is cute, nice, innocent, ect, but I've heard it used so many ways and I can't figure it out.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #1111 on: November 11, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »

One more thing- when people say "Aww bless". It's normally when somebody does something that is cute, nice, innocent, ect, but I've heard it used so many ways and I can't figure it out.

Often used in a sarcastic way.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 9
« Reply #1112 on: December 29, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »
Why is it the phrase "I'm not racist but..." is always followed by a racist comment? I have a co-worker who says it from time to time, and it started me thinking if I have ever heard the phrase without it being followed by derogatory comment.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #1113 on: December 29, 2013, 03:12:30 AM »
That makes sense, and I see the reasoning behind it. I suppose it is the need to point out that they built a football stadium for the purpose of football seems a bit Captain Obvious to me, when people say it. Maybe I am over thinking it.?

My husband uses that term a lot. When I asked for an explanation, he said "purpose built" meant it was planned, designed and/or built specifically for a purpose, such as a restaurant or hotel, for example, rather than say, an old manor house being turned into a restaurant or hotel.
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1114 on: December 29, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
Why is it the phrase "I'm not racist but..." is always followed by a racist comment? I have a co-worker who says it from time to time, and it started me thinking if I have ever heard the phrase without it being followed by derogatory comment.

I hate that. It's similar to (but worse than) people who say, "I don't want to be rude but ..." and then follow it up with something insulting about another person.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #1115 on: December 29, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
I hate that. It's similar to (but worse than) people who say, "I don't want to be rude but ..." and then follow it up with something insulting about another person.

In training at my new job in a call centre and this sort of thing came up, basically in trying not to use "but" on a call. e.g. Don't say "I'd like to help but...", the phrase the trainer said is that anything that comes before "but" is BS (he used the full word), it's no use to the caller.

"I'm not being funny but..."
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
Tumeric.

IT'S TURMERIC, PEOPLE!

There is no such thing as tumeric.

[smiley=furious3.gif] [smiley=furious3.gif] [smiley=furious3.gif]
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #1117 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
Adapted, drawn out versions of chat speak. For instance, one woman I am FB friends with, who is normally rather sane, will type out 'LOLOLOLOLOLOL' if she finds something really funny. It can range from "LOLOLOL' to longer than my first example. Tonight something made her laugh, so she typed out 'LOLOLOLINGOL'.

My English loving, desperate to save the language mind screamed 'What the HELL?"

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 12
« Reply #1118 on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
The police on detective shows on telly are always doing "tooth comb" searches.  Don't all combs have teeth?  I would say "fine tooth comb", which makes more sense to me.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #1119 on: January 09, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
If you live in the North of England, or are being asked by a Northerner, its quite normal to use "us" for one person.

« Reply #1120 on: January 09, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
The police on detective shows on telly are always doing "tooth comb" searches.  Don't all combs have teeth?  I would say "fine tooth comb", which makes more sense to me.

I have always heard it as a fine tooth comb. Maybe it is the difference in accent, but I've also heard the cops and detectives on the shows make it sound like fine toothcomb, as if it is fancy, but a comb for teeth instead of a toothbrush.

― Dr. Seuss

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #1121 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »
I have friends who are Northerners and the way they speak sometimes irks me. Perfect example of this..

Me- How are things with Kate?
Friend- We broke up
Me- Sorry to hear that, you guys were not together that long right?
Friend- We was only dating..

Seriously? We was? I wanted to say to him 'Don't you mean we WERE only dating?' Ugh!

Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #1122 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
I have friends who are Northerners and the way they speak sometimes irks me. Perfect example of this..

Me- How are things with Kate?
Friend- We broke up
Me- Sorry to hear that, you guys were not together that long right?
Friend- We was only dating..

Seriously? We was? I wanted to say to him 'Don't you mean we WERE only dating?' Ugh!

Yup. When I lived in Blackburn I never quite got used to that, or even worse to me was were being used in a place I felt was would have have been used. Some examples:

It were an awesome party.
He were a great friend.
It were, weren't it?

I realized I was the foreigner, who 'talked funny', so I silently corrected them in my head, and just let it go for my own sanity.

― Dr. Seuss

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #1123 on: January 11, 2014, 03:32:43 AM »
Yup. When I lived in Blackburn I never quite got used to that, or even worse to me was were being used in a place I felt was would have have been used. Some examples:

It were an awesome party.
He were a great friend.
It were, weren't it?

I realized I was the foreigner, who 'talked funny', so I silently corrected them in my head, and just let it go for my own sanity.

LOL yes! I've heard those before.. Too often for my liking! Luckily, I married a Surrey man and both he and his family speak properly  ::) Thank god I'm moving to London, I'll take Cockney over Northern speak anyday  ;)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #1124 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
Along those lines, "I'll have one of them" grates a bit....but then again I catch myself with a "fixin' to" or an "up under" enough to know I am not blameless.   
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links