Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bottle Breaking  (Read 728 times)

• My little cutie
  • Liked: 0
Bottle Breaking
« on: May 13, 2004, 09:20:50 AM »
Well we took the big step and bottle broke Juliona.  We went the cold turkey way this time, last time we tried just cutting down then out and it didnt work.

Tuesday is the day I started it just got her up and from the time she got up she did not have a bottle and when nap time came she was asking for it but I told her baba is all gone and covered her up and walked out, she of course fussed for a while but off she went to sleep.

And well it has been 2 days now and she is sleeping allllllll night long now, wow what a relief.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Bottle Breaking
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:16:24 AM »
Congrats!

We started cup training Niall at 9 months.  By the time he was 12 months, he would drink a full cup.  Once he would drink a full cup, we took the bottle away, and he's been bottle free for nearly six months (thank God).

Remember to be careful that she's drinking at least 1 pint of milk per day.  During the first few weeks of no bottles, you may find you have to make more milk than normal just to get that full pint through.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• My little cutie
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »
Remember to be careful that she's drinking at least 1 pint of milk per day.  During the first few weeks of no bottles, you may find you have to make more milk than normal just to get that full pint through.

"make more milk"  she has been on cows milk for quite a while now but yes I am pushing the milk still in her cups.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 03:13:20 PM »
  Oh congrats! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Amber was breastfed,but I think either way can be hard to break them from .

Gosh it doesnt seem that long ago my "baby" was a baby!

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 03:42:11 PM »
We got lucky with Dagmar, we gradually cut the bottles out until one day she just stopped asking for them.

She still has her dummy, tho...gotta work on that one... :(

• My little cutie
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 09:44:54 AM »
Juliona asks for her bottle "baba" every time it is sleep time i carry her to her bed and she says baba and i tell her no baba all gone, and once she is layed down i ask her if she wants a binki (dummy)

so she is on the binki for a while but only in bed.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 02:56:25 AM »
We're in the process of breaking Jackson from his bottle as he's 16 months old now.  We've delayed simply because the last four months have included us moving to a new place, me returning to school full-time, and Jackson now sleeping in his room instead of ours.  I figured taking the bottle away too would be a bit much, but now he's had time to adjust to the other changes.

I've tried the "whittling away" approach, where he has only been getting his bottle at bedtime.  Since we've cut back though, he's been a lot harder to put down at bedtime, even with his bottle.  :-\\\\    I guess I should make the move as litt did and cut him off completely, or I'm just postponing the inevitable and dragging it out. I just feel bad taking it away from him, but I know it really needs to go.  Any tips?

Rebekah
Humans are not so much rational beings, as they are rationalizing.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 01:47:11 PM »
Will he take milk from a cup?

• My little cutie
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 11:41:06 AM »
If he is on a sippy cup just make sure he gets lots of fluids/milk during the day.

We also make sure juliona drinks about 1 cup of millk and a yougart before bedtime to make sure she is not "hungry"

and she is not taking the binki either now and now when you get ready to take her to bed she looks at you says baba and then shakes her head no cuz she knows bottles are all gone.

I can not believe how easy it was to break her only one day of crying at sleep time now she sleeps all night long without any waking at all!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 04:15:32 AM »
SAF,

Yes, he drinks fine from a cup with a straw, and he uses sippy cups, too.  The last two nights we've been substituting a sippy cup with some milk in it right before bedtime, and it's been working!  He hasn't cried or protested for his bottle.  As long as I rock him like normal and give him his little blankie, he sleeps fine.  Huge sigh of relief! ;)

Rebekah
Humans are not so much rational beings, as they are rationalizing.

• My little cutie
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 09:35:26 AM »
Rocking him to sleep is going to be a fun one to break as well.

You might want to cut that out soon too, might try putting him down for his nap in the afternoon on his own and let him fight his way to sleep.

There is a great book out that I have gotten to help me with this called
"The Good Sleep Guide for you and your baby" by Angela Henderson. It has got a great step by step program in it to help you both sleep soundly through the night.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab