Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.  (Read 58727 times)

Re: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2007, 09:29:45 PM »

Interesting regarding the cultural differences. Baby and wedding showers in the states are the norm.  In the UK, on your birthday....you bring in your own cakes.

I guess regardless if you are Brit or American...to each their own? Preference, that is.  ;)

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »

In the UK, on your birthday....you bring in your own cakes.

Not at my work!  ;D
At my work, the famous German pastry chef from the executive kitchen bakes you a chocolate cake with layers of jam, cream and marzipan, and the butlers' assistants wheel it in on a trolley, with several pots of coffee and tea at 3pm.  If you're lucky enough to have your birthday fall on a Friday, you're likely to get champagne.   :)

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Not at my work!  ;D
At my work, the famous German pastry chef from the executive kitchen bakes you a chocolate cake with layers of jam, cream and marzipan, and the butlers' assistants wheel it in on a trolley, with several pots of coffee and tea at 3pm.  If you're lucky enough to have your birthday fall on a Friday, you're likely to get champagne.   :)

:o Do you work in heaven??  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
I read through the first 5 pages and found it very amusing, but I didn't see anything about how we refer to the "facilities"...so I thought I'd add this in.

In America, it is found to be quite rude (and odd) to ask someone where the toilet is! We went to Las Vegas, and while at a table, my guy asks the dealer where the toilet is. With sort of an odd smile, she replies that it's "in the restroom"...and of course we couldn't stop there. He said "I don't need to rest, I need to use the toilet". She proceeded (finding the conversation quite amusing I'm sure) to educate him on how we don't refer to them as toilets, but rather as a restroom or a bathroom... perhaps even the men's room. I just sat there smiling  ;D I had tried to explain this to him myself, but he just didn't like it and thought I was being silly.

Needless to say... they went back and forth... everyone else at the table was cracking up, myself included. When all was said and done, he asked her one last question... "Are you going to point me to the toilet or aren't you?"

Bathroom, restroom, men's room, ladies room... even "the john" is acceptable. But, if you ask where the toilet or the lou room is ... be prepared to see a blank expression or one of disgust... depending on where you are and who you're dealing with.

Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide to the future.

« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2007, 10:47:33 PM »
:o Do you work in heaven??  :)

sometimes i think i do!  ;)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
Do your BEST always to have money saved in case someone in the States with whom you're close gets seriouly ill and/or dies, enough that you can fly back and forth. I know that sounds grim, but it's practical.

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2007, 01:59:57 PM »
Do your BEST always to have money saved in case someone in the States with whom you're close gets seriouly ill and/or dies, enough that you can fly back and forth. I know that sounds grim, but it's practical.

I think that's great advice, Suzanne. Financial advisors recommend people keep three months' salary for emergencies, ex-pats would need more saved up in case of things like this.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
Thanks, Scarlett. I found out the quick and inredibly painful way. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
OK, this is a big post, so I am not sure if it this stuff has been mentioned...

* We have drive-through banks, pharmacies, and all sorts, and some banks (like mine) have a monitor on the inside where the person talks to you and you put your money in the tube and send it up.  Freaky, I know.  And yes, they can hear you when you are speaking.  (My husband was pretty freaked out by this.. "Is that guy real?"  lol)

* Don't overdose on fastfood!  Most of it is crap, anyway.  But the hubby LOVES Chick-Fil-A and cookies and cream shakes... The novelty of so much fast food gets him every time and he gets a tummy ache! 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
OK, this is a big post, so I am not sure if it this stuff has been mentioned...

* We have drive-through banks, pharmacies, and all sorts, and some banks (like mine) have a monitor on the inside where the person talks to you and you put your money in the tube and send it up.  Freaky, I know.  And yes, they can hear you when you are speaking.  (My husband was pretty freaked out by this.. "Is that guy real?"  lol)

* Don't overdose on fastfood!  Most of it is crap, anyway.  But the hubby LOVES Chick-Fil-A and cookies and cream shakes... The novelty of so much fast food gets him every time and he gets a tummy ache! 

Oh I know about drive-thru banks....on many visits......but this last one was the one that really got me, as I was out walking in the small town in NJ and wanted to use the ATM, so not seeing one outside that wasn't in the drive thru bit I went inside thinking they'd have one, looking around I didn't see one and someone asked if they could help me, so I just asked if they had an ATM and they said "It's outside in the first drive thru lane"!
What was I supposed to do.....queue behind the car that was there?!

So I walked further on and used the ATM in the Wawa store instead.

God forbid people might have to shift their ass out of their car for a few minutes!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »
That is what my friends and I did.  It was a small town and there was one bank in town with an ATM, so we waited for the cars.  Everyone did, it was no big deal.

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »
What was I supposed to do.....queue behind the car that was there?!

Well...yes.  ;D

Seriously, though, walk-up ATMs are becoming obsolete, especially in suburban areas, in favor of drive-up machines.  I feel your pain, though, as I don't particularly like drive-up ATMs either - they're all built to accommodate enormous SUVs and trucks and I can barely reach the card slot from my little compact car! :P

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2008, 05:09:20 AM »
I realize that the drive thru ATM's can seem a bit lazy...but in some areas you have to be very careful about the walk up ATM's ..people have been mugged at the walk up ATM's.

In America we have expansive indoor malls if walking from shop to shop is a preference. These malls include restaurants and fast food outlets of many varieties. Cinnamon rolls, chinese food, italian, mexican, mcdonalds ...most all choices are located in the mall. Or, one can easily go to the tried and true Walmart, where one can get their nails done, grocery shop, toys for the kids, some DVD's/DVD player, pick up a new outfit, and some camping equipment, while waiting for their car's oil to be changed and tire rotation.

Experiences from my trip to the UK..it was far more simple to walk to a restaurant, the grocery store, or the local shops...they were all right outside the hotel door...not fifteen to twenty miles  (drive time) away as they are here.  And, I didn't worry so much about being knocked in the head with the blunt end of a handgun for my purse while walking down the street in the UK. I really appreciated that about the UK!

My fiance doesn't carry a wallet, and carry's his cash in his pocket...I had to beg him not to take out wads of cash in the store. And, he didn't believe me about not being able to go for walks..till he visited me here.

In America, the nearest McDonald's to my house is ten miles away. The nearest grocery store is about the same. And, walking wouldn't be a good option if it were only two miles away. Safety (in my case) would be a predominant concern with walking.

Sadly my area is also inhabited by drug addicts who are all to happy to monitor those who walk out the pharmacy doors to capture the latest goodies that could be in your prescription filled baggy...(sucks for them if it's only an antibiotic). Yet, drug addicts seeking their latest fix..aren't always one's to think first then act. Again, that's why I don't mind the drive thru's.

Then I think to...that I like the drive thru's because it keeps me from having to walk several miles in 110'F summertime heat to run two miles down road in heavy traffic (no sidewalk) to convenience store on my lunchbreak from work. I'd come back to work and my makeup would be dripping off...it almost does already just walking from the front door to the car.

If we had more of a mild climate like the UK...I'm sure walking (even short distances..if safe) would be easier. However, we have people who die of heat stroke just sitting in their homes every summer. And, the same can be said for the below freezing temps we get in the winter time.

In the UK things are more condensed, and the public transporation in my city is non-existant for the most part...at least (safe public transport). The nice public transport giving access to the city center makes traveling without driving a lot easier in the UK...(that is if you don't already live in the city). Even biking is a lot safer there, than it would be here in my town.

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
I've read through most of this thread and I haven't seen anything about leftovers!!

Americans LOOOVE their leftovers and yes, sometimes we do cook about twice/three times the amount we would eat at one time ON PURPOSE!!!  And we are often of the belief that food actually does taste better the next day (the flavours marinate through, etc).  Also we love to make huge batches and freeze them in our massive American sized freezers (e.g. soup, lasagna, jam, etc.)!!! 

This also applies to pizza which we rarely, if ever make at home, but order 2 or 3 or 4 extra larges sometimes depending on the deal and keep in it the fridge for the next couple of days - either to eat for breakfast on the weekends (Saturdays especially after Friday night pizza) or for dinner through the week when we're way too busy driving around our SUVs to soccer practice and drive thrus to cook.  Also some of us do freeze the extra pizza like leftovers as well - my mother actually did this!!! LOL!!!  Still tasted good :)

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »
Oh yes - and people judge you a lot more severely if you drink/and or smoke.

Sponsored Links