Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.  (Read 58728 times)

Re: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2004, 10:40:02 PM »
You can park you car at the 'shops' without having do major maneouvreing to get into the bay.

Park?  PARK?  From now on it's the drive thru for you Bay-bee.   :)

• Love Exile
    • stoat
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 11:24:41 PM »
*Many states allow you to make a right turn at a red light, after a full stop (and if the way is clear, obviously).  Cars behind you will encourage this by honking their horns, if you're too slow at it.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• California Dreamin'
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 12:37:13 AM »
First...love love love Marmite! ;)

Had never had it before living in the UK, but hubby introduced me to Marmite on toast. I even came to like Marmite crisps and Twiglets (I know...I been told, "so YOU'RE the one who likes those!"). And yes Liz, it was great for when I was preggy and couldn't stomach anything else in the morning!  :-X

Now to the topic...  ;D

* I highly agree with the "turning on red" thing, ESPECIALLY in Southern California! And along those lines, if you're on the freeway here and are going anything less than 75, you better stay in the slow lane (that's the far right one kids!).

* When you go to the supermarket, you don't have to pay for parking OR the cart (trolley). And the checker will be courteous, smiling, and STANDING, while THEY bag your groceries.

* When you go out with a group, they'll divide the check up to the penny...including tip, and according to only what they ate. I have to admit that when we did this with native UK-ers, they would just split it all down the middle. You guys are so nice!   :)

* Kids are involved in about a zillion activities, and carpooling with other moms is encouraged (which is one reason for all the SUVs!). We don't have children yet, but we have the SUV!  ;)

* And speaking of which, you could NEVER get by without 2 cars, let alone not having one at all! I still tell all my friends the story of when we were just here visiting for Thanksgiving and therefore borrowing Mom's car. We were trying to go see a friend of mine who lived about 20 miles away, but Mom was going to need the car that day and hubby said "Why don't we just get a cab?" Everyone looked at him in disbelief!  ;D

* And Honey, my friends are still giggling about your RED Versace jeans.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Love you!!  :-*

Cake or death? Cake please!

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 08:04:47 AM »
And dont forget to carry your i/d with you everywhere... especially if you think you might want a drink.
My ex-DH and i were visiting California, where the drinking age was 21.... He was 35, but they would not serve him alcohol because he couldnt prove he was over 21.  After that, he started carrying his passport with him everywhere!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 09:14:22 AM »
And on the driving tip - the traffic lights go green-amber-red-green.  There is no change to amber from red to green.  It's go-slow down (ha!) - stop - then GOOOOOOO!  :o

And I third the turning on red bit.  If you don't and it's clear, beware the driver behind you! [smiley=mean.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »
I think this may have been mentioned before, but while I'm thinking about it.... don't assume the town your in will have a taxi service. My inlaws were shocked when they went to the US over the summer that small towns don't have taxi services, and that they'd have to call the nearest big town for one - which would have cost a mint!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 01:07:37 PM »
And speaking of which, you could NEVER get by without 2 cars, let alone not having one at all!
Absolutely.  Unless you happen to live in a metro area with very good public transport (only about 5 areas in the US, unfortunately), if you want to work, you must have access to a car.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Anaheim Angels - 2002 World Series Champions!!!
    • Where I Live :)
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 03:55:44 PM »
oh don't get me started on the ID, i'm not a racist man by any means but some middle eastern guy who couldn't even speak english would refuse to serve me alcohol on a british age ID card, he wanted 'California drivers licence only' which seemed to be the only english he knew, so does that mean you come from one state across and he won't serve you either?? Also visiting a British pub again in CA, they wouldn't serve me on a different UK ID and they even showed it to the Brit working there, both are legal and genuine ID's, anyone explain to me the logic in that? 

Sorry just had to get that one out  ;D
I love you Kassie,
Yesterday,
Today,
Tomorrow,
Forever....

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2004, 06:02:04 PM »
One thing I didnt know until I visited the states was that you guys have drive through banks! I swear I wont be needing legs when I move over there :) Also the tap-water where i'll be living in Wisconsin smells of eggs. Really grossed me out when i first had a glass of water. Showering in egg juice is just as bad too  :-X

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 04:29:15 PM »
One thing I didnt know until I visited the states was that you guys have drive through banks! I swear I wont be needing legs when I move over there :) Also the tap-water where i'll be living in Wisconsin smells of eggs. Really grossed me out when i first had a glass of water. Showering in egg juice is just as bad too  :-X

We don't just have drivethru banks, darlin', we've got drive-thru Starbucks, drive-thru liquor stores (off licenses), loads more drive-thru fast food, and probably a lot more!  ;D

Legs? Who needs 'em?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2004, 05:42:10 AM »
My inlaws were shocked when they went to the US over the summer that small towns don't have taxi services
He he he!! That reminds me of when my inlaws (before they were actual inlaws) came over for a visit! They walked to *town* got lost and realized they were far from my home. They stopped and were talking to a *nice* police officer and he drove them home in a police car  ;D

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 07:46:43 PM »
Drive-thru pharmacies, drive-thru wedding chapels..  ;)

Oh yeah, you'll also never be charged to take a leak.

You can have all 3962 channels, and still find nothing on worth watching.

For you men.. if you go into a suit shop asking for braces, you'll be given an odd look.  You probably never thought you'd be wearing 'suspenders'

We tip, a lot

People who drink here on a daily basis are often considered either socialites or alcoholics.. or both.

Nobody will understand your Fawlty Towers references.

American men don't tend to cross their legs and sip tea.  They do like their large trucks, though.

Pancakes for dinner IS a suitable meal.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 07:49:52 PM »
Most American men don't use handkerchiefs - especially those under 30. They are even referred to as 'pocket boogers'!  :P
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 06:30:15 PM »
Here in the east, where the artsy folk and granolas tend to be homesteading, ragg socks with birkenstocks are de riguer fall thru spring for men and women. At the gym...white socks only please! (Footies for ladies, ankle length for men.)

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 11:04:26 PM »
Designated drivers, since it's rare to have a bar in walking distance, and a taxi isn't cheap.

Health care isn't free and if you aren't on deaths doorstep, they want proof of insurance or money first.

There is no public access to all land.  People who own big tracts of land and post signs that say 'Trespassers will be shot'  will shoot at you.  Cutting through people back yard and setting up a tent where ever you like will get the police called.  - This was the hardest one for my husband. -

Drive on the right, and the bigger the city, the less likly drivers will follow the 'left lane for passing' rule.  Expect to be passed on the left, right, or both at the same time. (Hopfully this is only a Houston thing).

And with the whole vacation thing, it is perfecly acceptable to fly to visit someone or to go on vacation as close as one state away.  If driving takes you 1 day, the train will take you 2, and the bus will take you 3. 

And last but not least, immigration buracracy is a pain in the a$$.  You will at some point in time have to wait in line at 4 in the morning to get into the immigration office. Only to get to the front of the line and have a lady tell you that they've run out of number for today and to try get in line earlier tomorrow and trying again.   >:(  (He loved that one)

But as for good things,

You can always find a parking spot (except at Christmas)

You can goto a mega store and get everything you could possibly need in one trip.

The exchange rate means that you will almost double you money.

And almost every major city has a British food specialty store. 

Your favorite BBC TV programs can be seen on BBC America (heavily edited to fit commercials) or on public broacasting.  Eastenders is about 3 years behind what's current in the UK.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab