Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.  (Read 58567 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2005, 09:16:41 PM »
DH refers to everyone as "colonists", it gets a good laugh.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• UKY - In Training...
    • Shoot With Personality
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »
Tips from the South

5. Everywhere gives free refills, and if you want, they will give you an extra one in a " to go cup" to take with you home.

Hey, wait just a cotton pickin' minute! How much are refills on Cokes at UK restaraunts?!
Heart x Soul = Rock'n'Roll • Shoot With PersonalityFlickr

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2005, 10:01:56 PM »
DH refers to everyone as "colonists", it gets a good laugh.

Yep - here too - Simon calls me his "little colonial".   ::)   :)  I think it's sorta cute actually.

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2005, 11:02:03 PM »
Can't help but adding . . . America is filled with over weight individuals and people wonder why? Cars are needed to go everywhere, refills on sodas are free, portions are huge, don't walk from store to store, no public transport to walk to, lots of drive thru everything . . . banks, drug stores, convenience stores, dry cleaners, coffe shops, donut shops, restaraunts . . . pretty sad if you ask me. Also not a very healthy live style.

• UKY - In Training...
    • Shoot With Personality
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2005, 01:20:06 AM »
Can't help but adding . . . America is filled with over weight individuals and people wonder why? Cars are needed to go everywhere, refills on sodas are free, portions are huge, don't walk from store to store, no public transport to walk to, lots of drive thru everything . . . banks, drug stores, convenience stores, dry cleaners, coffe shops, donut shops, restaraunts . . . pretty sad if you ask me. Also not a very healthy live style.

I don't think anyone "wonders" why. It's pretty obvious why a lot of Americans are overweight.

(by the way, the free soda refills I'm interested in are for diet soda, so at least I'm not drinking my calories hehe :))

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2005, 06:08:55 AM »
Hey, wait just a cotton pickin' minute! How much are refills on Cokes at UK restaraunts?!
The same as buying the drink in the first place.

Unless you happen to be eating at one of the rare places that offers free refills.  Only place I ever found that did it was Pizza Hut.

And am I the only one who did NOT notice a portion size difference between the US and the UK?  Maybe I'm just not that observant.   :-X  I think that may be the case, since I ended up losing 20 lbs over there without realizing it till I got back.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2005, 07:55:16 AM »

There are no refills.
You just buy another drink.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »
He said he will just rely on me and say, Bloody Foreigners a lot. 

Yeah but over there he'll be the Dam* Foreigner.

Unless you happen to be eating at one of the rare places that offers free refills.  Only place I ever found that did it was Pizza Hut. 

I think you might get free refills over here at Subway too.  At least, the last time I was in one in Leeds city centre - two kids walked in off the street with empty cups & helped themselves to refills in the Subway & the counterperson said nothing.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »
Yep, free refills at Subway...and Frankie & Bennie's if you go for the lunch special and order a regular-sized drink...and Nando's.... and TGIFridays (I think).  Very rare to find a free refill over here!

• UKY - In Training...
    • Shoot With Personality
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
Yep, free refills at Subway...and Frankie & Bennie's if you go for the lunch special and order a regular-sized drink...and Nando's.... and TGIFridays (I think).  Very rare to find a free refill over here!

Oh well. Is water free at least? :)

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
Nope.  Or at least I've never been anywhere where it's free!

• UKY - In Training...
    • Shoot With Personality
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2005, 05:26:12 PM »
Nope.  Or at least I've never been anywhere where it's free!

They charge for tap water?

Woe is me!

(hehe, I keep thinking of my poor brother-in-law, who seems to be the thirstiest man on the planet. I've told him that if I ever settle in the UK for awhile and my sister or mom came over to visit, he should stay at home. If he eats his meal and the Diet Coke isn't flowing freely, he IS NOT a happy camper!)

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2005, 06:04:24 PM »

Woe is me!

(hehe, I keep thinking of my poor brother-in-law, who seems to be the thirstiest man on the planet. I've told him that if I ever settle in the UK for awhile and my sister or mom came over to visit, he should stay at home. If he eats his meal and the Diet Coke isn't flowing freely, he IS NOT a happy camper!)

You can get some warm unfiltered tap water if that's what you like to drink, but I've never liked the taste of it.  Tap water out in the country is better, but there are some places where you're not supposed to drink the tap water, mostly around industrial areas.  Although at fast food places you can get tap water, but it's in the fountain and tastes a little funny since it comes out of the same nozzle that the fruit drink comes out of.  Kind of like really week cool aid.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2005, 06:07:21 PM »
Most places just sell bottled water, which generally costs the same as a drink.  You could probably get a glass of tap free water at a pub or a small caf, but not in any restaurant I've been to lately.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »

Woe is me!

Um .... the free water in the USA isn't Evian... it's tap water too...just usually cold tap water.

You can get free water in the UK if you ask for a pint glass of tap water with ice in most places.   You do have to ask for ice though!  Some places even ask if you want bottled or tap.  

Just ask nicely...  ;D 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links