Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time  (Read 48793 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Your Favorite Book(s) of all time
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »
Kids books, Little House series (Anytime anyone brings up school violence and how horrible things are now I bring up Farmer Boy where Almanzo discusses how the big boys in school beat up their teacher so badly he died).

From the mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and the Adventures of Nils Holgerson which is Swedish, but my dad owned the two books and they are amazing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Adventures_of_Nils

Adult books The Dark Tower series, but not the last book, heh.  Handmaid's Tale, Tales of the City series, Saki and a whole bunch more.

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »
Rich Man, Poor Man
Into the Wild
The Little House series
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Superdork!
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2007, 12:32:12 AM »
Junk by Melvin Burgess
A Lot of Hot Water, don't know who wrote this but it was my fav kids book.
The Women of Brewster Place by Gloria Naylor
Women by Charles Bukowski

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
Toughie.  I read a lot, and my favourite books are pretty varied in subject and "academic" quality.  My favourite is probably Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.  His death earlier this year gutted me.  It wasn't that it was a surprise.  It just was like losing a friend.

• Superdork!
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
His death earlier this year gutted me.  It wasn't that it was a surprise.  It just was like losing a friend.

I felt the same. I knew it was going to happen, but it was as if an old friend, someone who had helped to form my mind, had gone.  :\\\'(

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »
LIfe of Pi was awesome and I've read it several times. It's the only book I'm not selling before I move.

"Nevermore" - The Raven

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2007, 12:20:44 AM »
Although I don't consider myself a romance book reader, without a doubt, my favorite book EVER is "Gone with the Wind" hands down. I have read it at least 10 times... even the sequel is good...just not as good  ;D

Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide to the future.

« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2007, 04:23:22 AM »
The Little Prince  and The Prophet are two that I can reread anytime, only wish they were both longer.  ;D

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2007, 11:04:43 PM »
My favorite book of all time is Because of Romek. It's a true story about a boy in Poland during the Holocaust. It's a great read, got me from the very first page. I met David Faber while in college (got the book autographed) and was completely taken by his stories and his strength as a boy and as a man. I'd recommend it to anyone...great book.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
I think my favourite books of all time are:
Kushiel's Dart
Kushiel's Chosen

by Jacqueline Carey. If you like historical fantasy, I HIGHLY recommend these! I can't seem to find anyone that's read them, and they're nearly impossible to find in the UK. She's coming out with a second trilogy starting with Kushiel's Scion (read it - fantastic!) and I had to order it from the US. She's quite possibly the best writer I've come across!

• Edinburgh, baby
    • Kate's 365
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
I think my favourite books of all time are:
Kushiel's Dart
Kushiel's Chosen

by Jacqueline Carey. If you like historical fantasy, I HIGHLY recommend these! I can't seem to find anyone that's read them, and they're nearly impossible to find in the UK. She's coming out with a second trilogy starting with Kushiel's Scion (read it - fantastic!) and I had to order it from the US. She's quite possibly the best writer I've come across!

Oooo! I LOVED those!!  :D
Ok, so I'm smug.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2008, 05:02:03 AM »
One book that changed me entirely is Another Country by James Baldwin... it's a complex, dark, narrative of interracial relationships in 1960's America... absolutely incredible...

I also love Walter Moseley and have read most of his books.. good, fun, short reads for a lazy day.

Probably my all-time favorite is Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.. always makes me laugh out loud... very loudly... :)  great picture of an over-educated, self-obsessed hypochondriac... an amazing story with lots of sarcastic humor throughout...

The Great Gatsby is another all-time fave... I also love Great Expectations...

WAY too many to list, actually, now that i am trying to do it... :)

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
Here's a few of mine:

Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

The Jailing of Cecelia Capture by Janet Campbell Hale

In Search of April Raintree by Beatrice Culleton

Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates

Larry's Party by Carol Shields

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorthy Allison

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
MY book taste is broad and varied, but here we do.....

I just got done reading "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ismael Beah and was just blown away by this book.....it instantly gets a place in my top 5.

Now for my wierd books...

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.  This is probably my all time favorite book.  It's a tough read, seriously you have to put it done for a couple of weeks sometimes just to absorb it.  It's basically about a guy who has just gotten out of phychological treatment going on a cross country (US) motorcycle trip with his son.  Through the trip he starts falling back into being insane.....it's a really, really good book.

"If You Meet Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!" by Sheldon Kopp.  This book is most certainly not for everyone...it is a collection of stories about phychotherapy patients....it's a really, really interesting book and can change your life.

"The Naked Lunch" by William S Burroughs....most people know this book....

"Go Ask Alice" by Anonymous....now it has long since come out that no one truly knows if the basis of this book is true....the thing was that this was a girls diary...whether or not this is true or not, the journey of this girl is something amazing and the story is good....well worth reading.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:33:20 PM by George© »

« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »
[quote
"Go Ask Alice" by Anonymous....now it has long since come out that no one truly knows if the basis of this book is true....the thing was that this was a girls diary...whether or not this is true or not, the journey of this girl is something amazing and the story is good....well worth reading.[/quote]

There is no question that this book is totally fake.  http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/askalice.asp

I think it is hilarious and love it. 

I made my husband read it as well when he came to the States for our wedding.  There is no way that book would stop anyone from doing drugs.  Alice gets to do awesome stuff because she does drugs.  She dies in the end, but what teenager ever thinks the bad stuff will happened to them?

I've read a few others published by the same company, but none compares to Alice. 

Sponsored Links