Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14976 times)

• *swelch2
  • Liked: 0
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
Also, what's with the lack of peppermint lattes/mochas in UK Starbucks?  I know they can't be doing away with them altogether this year - it's too much a fixture of the holiday menu (at least it was in the states).

They were on the Japanese menu as well and the Japanese, from the ones I knew, didn't even really like peppermint!  It was my one favorite holiday drink and now its gone :(  How am I supposed to recreate that lovely peppermint patty goodness???
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

• Liked: 12
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
I hate flavoured coffee!   :P  I can't even stand the smell of that hazelnut junk other people are drinking (and I like actual hazelnuts)  Give me Colombian neat anytime.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
I hate flavoured coffee!   :P  I can't even stand the smell of that hazelnut junk other people are drinking (and I like actual hazelnuts)  Give me Colombian neat anytime.

Me too!!! Black coffee, straight up!  :) But I have to admit that once a year I have an eggnog latte. But that's more because I like the holiday-ness of a warm eggnog on a cold day - I don't class it as coffee (though I usually have to have 2 or 3 shots so you can at least taste that there IS coffee in it!)

• My Flickr page
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
How am I supposed to recreate that lovely peppermint patty goodness???

Put half a candy cane in a sandwich bag and give it a few firm taps with a hammer, then stir into coffee/latte/hot chocolate.  It won't be *exactly* the same, but it's worth a try!
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
I noticed this today!  It was my one source of eggnog in this benighted country.  Now I'm going to have to actually go look for an expat food store or something, since I'm not going to get back to the US this Christmas.  Whine, moan, etc.
If you can make custard, you can make eggnog. Chuck in some rum and plenty of freshly-grated nutmeg and thin with milk to taste. :D

• Boogers!
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
There's not much I want at Starbucks, although my daughter likes their caramel Frappachinos.  Eleven Starbucks in Houston are closing, and I think I read that 600 in total are closing in the U.S.

dang it why wont they close them down here! in fact there opening a new one near me! i only drink PR coffee nice and strong as my granny says it'll put hairs on your chest! (which probably isnt a good thing! ha)  ;D ;D ;D

• *swelch2
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »
Put half a candy cane in a sandwich bag and give it a few firm taps with a hammer, then stir into coffee/latte/hot chocolate.  It won't be *exactly* the same, but it's worth a try!

I will have to try this!  Do we even have candy canes in the UK?  Goodness, I've lived overseas in a country without Christmas for too long hahah
-Hafiz

• Liked: 12
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
How about a piece of peppermint rock?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• My Flickr page
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
I will have to try this!  Do we even have candy canes in the UK?  Goodness, I've lived overseas in a country without Christmas for too long hahah

Haha!  I saw candy canes at B&M the other day, and I think Asda rolls them out at Christmastime, too. :)
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
Starbucks has candy canes! However, they are strawberry flavoured  ???
12/08/09 - Citizenship submitted via NCS
17/08/09 - Payment taken from account
18/09/09 - Citizenship approved, invitation to ceremony, dated 12/09/09
03/11/09 - Citizenship ceremony

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »
Haha!  I saw candy canes at B&M the other day, and I think Asda rolls them out at Christmastime, too. :)

I saw them at Wyevale's last weekend, too. They were near all the Christmas treats.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Hubby & I
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2008, 11:55:30 PM »
 Well, I used to work there, so I am somewhat biased in my opinion. I hate that people cannot for the life of them make a drink that they have on there menu (from one location to the next) the exact same  :-\\\\ It is a world wide chain, so you would think they would all be the same...but I guess it all goes in accordance with what works in each country.
 The easiest way to get the pepperminty goodness that you like Swelch2, I started doing this when I worked at another espresso place, I just used to put the York Peppermint patty in the bottom before the espresso, mix it a bit, then add in the hot milk(or soy in my case...damn lactose intolerance!) You can add once it is made too, but might end up with bits of chocolate in there. Stirring with a candy cane helps too. All depends on how you like it. I have done both, but since I tend to get mochas, I use mints. Have yet to fine York's in Scotland so I have used the Andes dinner mint things I experimented with a lot of different flavors and such when I worked at various places, so I can give ideas on most any thing it is ur looking for, so feel free to ask away. (on a side note tho...I tried doing a butterfinger one...it worked, but not all that great. Think it was the whole coffee flavor that ruined it  :P)
~Ange...and all my vast years of coffee shop experience :D
9/04 Met on-line
11/07 Married
12/3/08 FLR(M) APPROVED
Here on Leave to Remain. Will apply for UKC and get UK passport once I can swallow how much more money the UK Govt wants from me. Or when my US passport expires.

• *swelch2
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
How about a piece of peppermint rock?
I saw them at Wyevale's last weekend, too. They were near all the Christmas treats.

THANK YOU!!!  I will be headed to Asda today :)
Starbucks has candy canes! However, they are strawberry flavoured  ???

And that is just wrong :(  hahaha 
-Hafiz

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
I just use peppermint schnapps... of course, that makes it a bit more of a big girl drink  :P
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »
I just use peppermint schnapps... of course, that makes it a bit more of a big girl drink  :P

Now you're talkin!!!!!  ;D

Sponsored Links