Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14906 times)

• Yeah but no but
  • Liked: 0
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
I hate them because the store is remarkably dirty, crap all over the floor and because their prices are higher than petrol.
Future RAF Pilot!

• Regalriket
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »
Caffe Nero is best!
If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what road you take.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »
I hate them because they drive lovely little neighbourhood coffee shops out of business. I've never had anything from a Starbucks (and never will), so I can't comment on how good or bad their coffee is. I just hate them from an ethical standpoint. Providence (RI) used to have tons of gorgeous independent coffee shops, but Starbucks just came in (a la WalMart - which I also hate - but that's for another thread), put a shop on every block (or so it seemed) and drove them out. There are still a few indie coffee places left, but not nearly as many as there used to be. And what's interesting about Starbucks? Seriously. They're all the same. Ugh. Boring.

DOWN WITH IDENTI-SHOPS! LONG LIVE THE INDEPENDENTS!

I HATE STARBUCKS SO MUCH IT HURTS.

They don't actually.  It was thought that they would, but they really have only driven out the badly run coffee shops.

Not that I like them all that much, but whatever.

They created a market that really didn't exist in many people's minds. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2180301/fr/rss/

According to recent figures from the Specialty Coffee Association of America, 57 percent of the nation's coffeehouses are still mom and pops. Just over the five-year period from 2000 to 2005—long after Starbucks supposedly obliterated indie cafes—the number of mom and pops grew 40 percent, from 9,800 to nearly 14,000 coffeehouses. (Starbucks, I might add, tripled in size over that same time period. Good times all around.) So much for the sharp decline in locally owned coffee shops. And prepare yourself for some bona fide solid investment advice: The failure rate for new coffeehouses is a mere 10 percent, according to the market research firm Mintel, which means the vast majority of cafes stay afloat no matter where Starbucks drops its stores. Compare that to the restaurant business, where failure is the norm.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Costa tastes foul and is also a rip off.

At my work, it's a choice of vile vending machine coffee (free) or Starbucks... so i go to Starbucks almost every day.   The only good thing about the Starbucks at my work is that it is subsidised by the Bank, so everything is about half the price it is in a High Street Starbucks shop.   And the boys that work there are our contractors, so they throw in extra shots, etc for free.

I worked in a similar office once.  But the ex and I loved to travel and so we chose to save more money for that.

So I invested in a Starbuck's flask - their flasks are really quality! - and brewed my own coffee at home to bring in.  And even with that, it was cheaper to buy Dean and Delucca coffee to use at home.  

Here at home, we use Lidl coffee and Andrew takes it in the Starbuck's flask, which is still going strong all these years later.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
They don't actually.  It was thought that they would, but they really have only driven out the badly run coffee shops.

Well, maybe those are the stats, but they did run out a couple of lovely well-run interesting independent coffee shops in Providence by setting up virtually right next door.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
Well, maybe those are the stats, but they did run out a couple of lovely well-run interesting independent coffee shops in Providence by setting up virtually right next door.  :-\\\\

I used to go to White Electric, but then they moved and I couldn't walk their from work anymore. 

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
Oh, I also hate that even when I ask for no water in my chai, I usually get water in my chai!!

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Good.  >:(

Not sure that's too good for the people who work there and rely on the tuition reimbursement schemes and health coverage.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Actually, I always avoided them because of the independent/small chain run off.  However, I noticed that all the coffee shops I went to were always packed, and the obligatory Starbucks across the street were always empty.  From what I understand Starbucks is suffering now because of overextension that just didn't work out.  I am sure there were more than a few that forced smaller shops to close, but it didn't happen to the extent that was expected.

I also find the coffee they use to be inferior Robusta bean.  For a while they switched to Arabica, but I think they are back to a blend of both species.  It really does make a difference.  I really don't find their drinks to be near anything you could get at a good cafe or make yourself.

However, since being here, I have started going.  Caffe Nero's drinks are mediocre at best and they only offer the choice of skimmed and semi-skimmed for milk.  IMO, Costa is pretty bad, worse than Caffe Nero's.  I can't stomach that Costa instant crap (or at least it tastes like instant) that they serve at so many restaurants here. It's been hit or miss with smaller places.  There aren't that many here that are truly coffee houses and not diners.

If you told me a year ago that I would eventually go to Starbucks at least once a week, I would have told you were dead wrong.  Bad coffee and bad practices were my reasons for avoiding them for years.  I still make better coffee at home, but we go to Starbucks now and then.  

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
When I see a Starbucks, sometimes I think about having a coffee.  Then I look around for a coffee shop.  Or a bakery with a cafe.  

So maybe they are good for small shops..?

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »

Caffe Nero's drinks are mediocre at best

I dont think i've ever heard anyone say they didn't like Caffe Nero before!

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
I hate starbucks because once they made me a latte and the milk was clearly off.  Tasted and smelled disgustingly sour... I brought it back and complained and they made me another latte with the same gone off milk!!!!!  ???

After that they offered me a coupon for a free coffee but I just asked for my money back

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »
Genau, why not take a cafetiere to work?  They are small enough to keep in a work kitchen.  That's what I do.  Most of my co-workers drink tea or coffee from a machine, both of which I can't tolerate in the morning.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »
Both my husband and I don't like Caffe Nero's drinks.  We have a nearly full Nero loyalty card, but every time I suggest we get the free drink, he makes a face.  It could be the low fat milk, but I doubt it.  I can stand Cafe Rouge, and I think they use low fat milk (at least if you don't ask for full fat).

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »
Genau, why not take a cafetiere to work?  They are small enough to keep in a work kitchen.  That's what I do.  Most of my co-workers drink tea or coffee from a machine, both of which I can't tolerate in the morning.

We dont have kitchens at work, but i dont like cafetiere coffee anyway.  I like espresso and cappuccino... made properly.

I dont really mind the Starbucks at work... cos the people who work there are contracted through the bank (they are not Starbucks employees) and they make things the way you want them... plus the drinks are half the cost they are on the high street.

It's just that, on the high street, i object to their prices for really crap (or improperly made) coffee.  And then that thing this morning with disposing of my drink... that just hacked me off.

Sponsored Links