Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14979 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »
I find that the quality varies wildly from one Starbucks to another. I've been told that some machines aren't cleaned regularly, and this is the reason. Don't really know how accurate that is, though. A few months ago, all the Starbucks were closed near me one day to 'fix' things (whatever that means). Anyway, I haven't had a bad cup of coffee since then.

And I'll admit to drinking Starbucks pretty regularly! But that's probably because there is a drive-thru a mile away.  :) When there are kids involved and you need a caffeine fix - anything goes!

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
My biggest gripe is their prices. Way too high. >:( We only go a couple of times a year but during the holidays, I have to have an eggnog latte or 2...or 10. :P They're just so yummy.  [smiley=blush.gif] But other than that, I just make my own coffee because it's much cheaper and still tastes great.

As for the customer service, etc...I can't fault the Starbucks nearest me. Their customer service has been fantastic every time I've been there and the place is kept very clean and everything still looks new even though it's a few years old now.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
I go maybe once or twice a year, but I think their prices are extortionate.  We drink our coffee (drip coffee maker) at home.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
Mmmm.... Starbucks... 

Where's the drooling smiley?  ;D

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
I've never really gotten the whole Starbucks thing. Even back when I was a total coffee junkie, I just never found a coffee there that I liked and could not see spending 5 bucks on my morning coffee. The only time I even step into one is to buy gift cards for a girl at work that can't get enough of their Chai Tea Lattes.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »
While I'm not a huge fan of their coffee (it's too acidic and bitter), or their drinks (I know I'm in the minority, but the thought of an eggnog latte turns my stomach), the thing that I dislike the most about Starbucks is the simple fact that they are a chain.  I suppose some peope like that if they walk in the door of a Starbucks, it's going to be exactly the same as every other Starbucks on the planet, but I find it a bit cold and depressing.  Aside from the coffee itself, I choose coffee shops for atmosphere and personality, both of which Starbucks lack in spades.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
the thing that I dislike the most about Starbucks is the simple fact that they are a chain.  I suppose some peope like that if they walk in the door of a Starbucks, it's going to be exactly the same as every other Starbucks on the planet, but I find it a bit cold and depressing.  Aside from the coffee itself, I choose coffee shops for atmosphere and personality, both of which Starbucks lack in spades.

Amen, sister friend.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
The only good thing about the Starbucks in our city centre is it spans a corner and has the BEST people watching in the city.  It's an afternoon of entertainment over a cup of coffee.

We've had a few occasions when we've gone in to order filtre coffee and they have none!  Huh?

I used to love a cup of takeaway coffee and now I just don't want to be disappointed so I don't bother. 

I'll use my espresso maker at home to make yummy lattes if we want a treat.  Our filtre coffee is pretty good too!
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
I suppose some peope like that if they walk in the door of a Starbucks, it's going to be exactly the same as every other Starbucks on the planet, but I find it a bit cold and depressing.

I dunno, I disagree with this point. Now, I don't frequent Starbucks for commercial reasons since I don't drink coffee or tea or enjoy the snacky things they offer, but I have spent a considerable amount of time studying at all of the Starbucks in my town (Gainesville, Florida) and I have to say that the Starbucks here are actually very different. The one in downtown is airy and has lots of windows and is just totally set up differently from the one that I frequent on Archer Rd. They both have totally different art up on the walls and different furniture. In all the Starbucks that I have visited I can say yes - they have a general "vibe" but I don't find them to be identical at all. In fact, I appreciate the subtle differences in ambience and lighting that I find in different Starbucks.

I don't really understand the general "I hate chains" theme of this thread though, to be honest - I mean, its really just a mark of success and isn't that what running a business is all about? I mean, Starbucks *did* start as a local business in Seattle - it was just so popular that it was able to grow to this massive global enterprise. I'm not saying that venting about disliking something is wrong - frankly I love to do that myself - I just don't quite get the hatred for Starbucks (especially given that it does still appear to be *very* popular - even the people here who dislike it buy stuff there regularly it seems!).
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
Many people hate chain places because we prefer to see smaller enterprises, family run places, local cafes with individuality and character, be successess instead of huge multinational conglomerates.  We object to the way that places like Starbucks muscle in on the market, with huge amounts of money behind them and the money for big advertising campaigns, and put the small 'mom and pop' places out of business.

There are loads of coffee shops near where I live, and I will go out of my way to go to the little Polish place or the Turkish cafe rather than Starbucks.  And the coffee in both are better, and Starbucks doesn't sell Baklava!

Vicky

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »
I dunno, I disagree with this point. Now, I don't frequent Starbucks for commercial reasons since I don't drink coffee or tea or enjoy the snacky things they offer, but I have spent a considerable amount of time studying at all of the Starbucks in my town (Gainesville, Florida) and I have to say that the Starbucks here are actually very different. The one in downtown is airy and has lots of windows and is just totally set up differently from the one that I frequent on Archer Rd. They both have totally different art up on the walls and different furniture. In all the Starbucks that I have visited I can say yes - they have a general "vibe" but I don't find them to be identical at all. In fact, I appreciate the subtle differences in ambience and lighting that I find in different Starbucks.

To me, that's like saying not all McDonald's are the same because some have different designs/styles inside.  Just because there's different art on the walls and variations of furniture doesn't make it anything other than McDonald's.

Many people hate chain places because we prefer to see smaller enterprises, family run places, local cafes with individuality and character, be successess instead of huge multinational conglomerates.  We object to the way that places like Starbucks muscle in on the market, with huge amounts of money behind them and the money for big advertising campaigns, and put the small 'mom and pop' places out of business.

What Vicky said.

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 11:10:08 PM »

There are loads of coffee shops near where I live, and I will go out of my way to go to the little Polish place or the Turkish cafe rather than Starbucks.  And the coffee in both are better, and Starbucks doesn't sell Baklava!

Vicky
I don't see anything wrong with enjoying local businesses - and I think a previous poster made a point about how Starbucks didn't really put all the "mom and pop" places out of business like everyone assumes (there are quite a few mom and pop coffee shops in my town as well). I just wonder - what if your local Turkish place did so well they opened up a few more shops? And then a few more? Would you stop going to it then? I just feel like its unfair to dump on successful businesses just because they are successful. After all, if you don't like a particular place nothing is forcing you to go there (as you have mentioned Vicky, by only being a patron to places you actually like - and that sell Baklava of course ;-)).

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »
To me, that's like saying not all McDonald's are the same because some have different designs/styles inside.  Just because there's different art on the walls and variations of furniture doesn't make it anything other than McDonald's.

Well, I'm not saying that a Starbucks isn't a Starbucks - just that they aren't identical and that different locations can have very different ambiences.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with enjoying local businesses - and I think a previous poster made a point about how Starbucks didn't really put all the "mom and pop" places out of business like everyone assumes (there are quite a few mom and pop coffee shops in my town as well). I just wonder - what if your local Turkish place did so well they opened up a few more shops? And then a few more? Would you stop going to it then? I just feel like its unfair to dump on successful businesses just because they are successful. After all, if you don't like a particular place nothing is forcing you to go there (as you have mentioned Vicky, by only being a patron to places you actually like - and that sell Baklava of course ;-)).

I remember when there were no Starbucks in London.  And I remember when there were more little coffee shops.  Are the two connected?  Well, indirectly, yes.  Market conditions made things harder for small enterprises, but Starbucks were so big in the US that that made little difference to them.  And each time there is a Starbucks open next to the little Polish place, then it will damage the Polish place's business, and that's bad. And it is not as though they were doing well here and grew, it was, *wham!* we woke up one morning and suddenly Starbucks had taken over the land!  But yes, you are right, nothing forces me to go there, so I don't, and while I don't like the places that much and reserve the right to dump on them, it's not like I *hate* them.  I mean, they are not in a Maccy D's mould...yet!

Oh, and if my little Turkish or Polish place grew so big that they ended up with a branch on each block then yes, I probably would stop going there.  I like to support the little man - I am a small enterprise myself!

Vicky

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
Oh, and if my little Turkish or Polish place grew so big that they ended up with a branch on each block then yes, I probably would stop going there.  I like to support the little man - I am a small enterprise myself!

Vicky

Fair enough!

Sponsored Links