Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14980 times)

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
  • Liked: 0
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 02:04:22 AM »
I don't hate starbucks...that might be because I don't really drink coffee...I don't care for it.

When I do go there on the slight occasion I always get the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino or the Strawberries & Creme Frappuccino.

Mmm both are delicious. The only thing that annoys me is the  Tall, Grande or Venti bullsh*t lol but it's not a huge deal.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2008, 02:13:19 AM »
Well, I'm not saying that a Starbucks isn't a Starbucks - just that they aren't identical and that different locations can have very different ambiences.

I think we're going to have to respectfully disagree with each other.  I really don't see a big difference from shop to shop - they play the same music, have the same signage, wear the same uniform, and offer the same specials.  Simply because the upholstery and wall art varies doesn't make the ambiance feel any different to me.

Just to be clear, this isn't only a Starbucks thing.  I feel the same way about any large chain.  As much as companies like Starbucks want to believe that they still have that 'small shop' feel, it's simply impossible to attain with so many stores and employees to keep in check.  For me it's not a question of hating companies that have expanded to global proportions, but hating (or, really, disliking) companies that try to pretend that they're not a global conglomerate and are still the little shop around the corner.

(edited for seriously awful spelling)

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:12 AM »
I think we're going to have to respectfully disagree with each other.  I really don't see a big difference from shop to shop - they play the same music, have the same signage, wear the same uniform, and offer the same specials.  Simply because the upholstery and wall art varies doesn't make the ambiance feel any different to me.

Thats fair enough I suppose, I can't agree that they are all identical but everyone sees things differently.

"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
Many people hate chain places because we prefer to see smaller enterprises, family run places, local cafes with individuality and character, be successess instead of huge multinational conglomerates.  We object to the way that places like Starbucks muscle in on the market, with huge amounts of money behind them and the money for big advertising campaigns, and put the small 'mom and pop' places out of business.

Precisely.

And, no, it's not just Starbucks. WalMart is another prime example. I can't imagine ever shopping there. Never have, never will. In lots of communities in the US, there were grassroots efforts to keep WalMart out when there were plans to build yet another megastore. But, in most cases, there was just too much money behind them and the local campaigns failed. (I think I still have a NoMart bumper sticker somewhere!) The effect was as expected - a lot of local independent hardware shops, drug stores, etc. struggled and ultimately had to close down, resulting in a virtual monopoly for WalMart. How is that good for anyone - particularly the community? 

In the UK, I try and stay away from Tesco (and the like) and instead make a big effort to shop at local greengrocers and farm shops.

(This probably deserves its own thread, so sorry for anting! It's just something I've always felt strongly about.)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »
I suppose some peope like that if they walk in the door of a Starbucks, it's going to be exactly the same as every other Starbucks on the planet, but I find it a bit cold and depressing.

It is in a way to me since I moved to London, but that's probably because I still have those days where I desperately miss home, and I'll take any link I can get that is not fast food!

As for the whole chain debate, I actually grew up in a growing community that didn't allow chains to come in.  They passed all sorts of ordinances after a McDonalds and a Safeway moved in in the late 80's, and managed to keep everything else out.  Even the two chains mentioned above had strict rules on signage etc. so they blended in.  In some ways it was wonderful, no unsightly strip, the little guy had no one to kick him out...  I would probably not feel the same about my lovely hometown if it looked like every other in the area.  But there are drawbacks too.  Most businesses are very expensive, and it's hard living in a community where you have to drive for an hour to get a new, well, anything!  There are no real clothing shops, only pricey boutiques, nothing geared towards children or teens, there are no medium-range restaurants, if you want to go out to eat it is seriously expensive, or you get a sandwich.  If you spill coffee down your blouse at work, a quick replacement will probably cost you $75.  And, by the way, you better be American size 0-12.  And the coffee is just as pricey as Starbucks.  I understand that the shops need to charge what they do to stay afloat themselves, but I think the community could have really benefited from a few chain stores tucked in among the smaller independent businesses, that could have provided more variety and affordable prices.

Wow, I didn't expect to write that much.  I guess the moral of my little rant is this:  I had the rare opportunity to live in small town paradise without the evil corporations, and it was beautiful.  But 20 years later, half the people that lived there when I did have moved away because living there is so expensive and often inconvenient, and now instead of charming and small town, I see affluent and pretentious.
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »
And the coffee in both are better, and Starbucks doesn't sell Baklava!

Mmmmm, Baklava.  What a perfect accompaniment to coffee!  Now I wish we lived in a Turkish area rather than Little Portugal (the pastries just don't do it for me).

Sorry to side-track: but is there something to be said about going into a chain and knowing exactly what to expect?  I am thinking less about coffee shops here & more about other types of chains (mostly because, as evidenced by this thread, chain coffee shops still serve varying degrees of quality coffee).  For instance, I admit that when we eat at a pub, we prefer Wetherspoon's.  This is a personal preference based mostly around price, large menu choice and an across-the-board standard of food.  I've gotten to the point now that I don't really like eating in independent pubs because the food can be SO hit-and-miss (as well as the prices!) if you're unfamiliar with the pub.  I rather like knowing that I can enter any Wetherspoon's in the UK and know exactly what I will get and enjoy my meal.  I know some people would absolutely hate this concept, but to me it's a certain comfort.  Just like how I know exactly what drink I will like when I go into a Starbucks.

Yes, it's nice to spice things up sometimes and try new things by trying local, independent outlets - I'm not arguing that.  However, there is a certain convenience to be had by using chains for frequent dining or perhaps when you're in a hurry.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
I think it is impossible to be 100 per cent ethical and 'support the little guy' all the time, unless you are rich enough and have enough time to shop at Borough Market every week (which is my aim in life!).

I have to go to Tesco and Sainsbury...I hate that I do, but there is little other option.  We are trying to change, and go to the little Polish shop (lots of Poles in Finchley) to buy fruit and veg*, but Dan is out of work at the moment, so we go where is convenient and cheap.  And I agree about knowing what you will get...I know that Sainsbury is the only place I can get the good veggie burgers, and I go to Tesco 'cos it is near the tube station and I know I can do the weekly shop for under 20 quid.  But I WILL NOT go to 'Chavda' - not just because the environment is so claustraphobic, and because I have to spend the time dodging teenage mums smacking and yelling at their screaming children, but because they are owned by the second most evil corporation on the planet.  I have my limits!

*The Polish shops also sell Tyskie, the nicest lager there is, so there is another incentive!

Re:  Weatherspoons.  Good point.  You know you can get damn good beer and cheap reasonable food.  But Weatherspoons pubs differ greatly.  I'd never go the one in North Finchley, 'cos it's horrible, but The Gate in Hampstead is lovely.

Vicky

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »
On vacation and just saw the title of the thread, haven't read through, but I hate Starbucks because I don't like coffee and everything else there seems to have a bit of coffee flavour to it anyway.  :(

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »
But 20 years later, half the people that lived there when I did have moved away because living there is so expensive and often inconvenient, and now instead of charming and small town, I see affluent and pretentious.

Yeah, I have similar experiences and even though I worked at an independent coffee shop we rejoiced when Starbucks moved to the area because we thought we might actually receive competitive wages.

• Banned

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
As for the whole chain debate, I actually grew up in a growing community that didn't allow chains to come in.  They passed all sorts of ordinances after a McDonalds and a Safeway moved in in the late 80's, and managed to keep everything else out.  Even the two chains mentioned above had strict rules on signage etc. so they blended in.  In some ways it was wonderful, no unsightly strip, the little guy had no one to kick him out...  I would probably not feel the same about my lovely hometown if it looked like every other in the area.  But there are drawbacks too.  Most businesses are very expensive, and it's hard living in a community where you have to drive for an hour to get a new, well, anything!  There are no real clothing shops, only pricey boutiques, nothing geared towards children or teens, there are no medium-range restaurants, if you want to go out to eat it is seriously expensive, or you get a sandwich.  If you spill coffee down your blouse at work, a quick replacement will probably cost you $75.  And, by the way, you better be American size 0-12.  And the coffee is just as pricey as Starbucks.  I understand that the shops need to charge what they do to stay afloat themselves, but I think the community could have really benefited from a few chain stores tucked in among the smaller independent businesses, that could have provided more variety and affordable prices.

Wow, I didn't expect to write that much.  I guess the moral of my little rant is this:  I had the rare opportunity to live in small town paradise without the evil corporations, and it was beautiful.  But 20 years later, half the people that lived there when I did have moved away because living there is so expensive and often inconvenient, and now instead of charming and small town, I see affluent and pretentious.

This is exactly how it is in the small town that my parents still live in. It's a wonderful place and I do love that there aren't any billboards and chain stores, but it's so expensive and pretentious that it's lost that 'homtown' feel. I will say that this town has a few excellent little coffee shops, but they're as expensive as Starbucks.

I don't hate Starbucks btw, I like some of their drinks, but they've saturated the market and I think it'll be good to have fewer stores and more variety in the market.
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
Ronald Reagan

�In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.� - Thomas Jefferson

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
I've never liked Starbucks! 

My first experience with Starbucks was bad and that sticks with you. I'm from New Orleans and our coffee is very strong.  If you are in a local restaurant and have coffee after dinner you will get a full bodied strong cup of coffee.  I was meeting friends from a study group in prep. for exam at  Starbucks.  I asked for a cup of Coffee and Chickory which is common in New Orleans and was told that they didn't sell it.  If you order coffee from any local owned coffee shop you can always get regular coffee, which for us is coffee and chickory.  I said something to the effect and was told that Starbucks was going to teach us what good coffee was.  I've been back only twice, once when I didn't have a choice because I wasn't choosing the coffee shop and once when they were the only coffee shop available in an airport after a long flight.

I'm a big coffee drinker.  When I go home for a visit, the first supplies I buy to bring back to England is CDM, RT or Cafe Du Monde coffees.   ;D

S-Yank

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »
i hate starbucks because it's not the old bewley's on grafton street in dublin. and it's probably one of the main factors that the old bewley's no longer exists.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Mouse Hunting
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
I had one amazing summer at a local Starbucks in Dallas, so I love it for that. I spent nearly ever day after work there, and met some really interesting people from all over the world. I usually get the organic Horizons chocolate milk.

I think it's silly to single out a corporation. All chains will be putting little guys out of business and raking in tens of millions of dollars. I remember when an Albertsons moved into our town in Texas and put a smallish chain "Brookshire's" out of business. Then Walmart moved in ten years later, and closed down the Albertsons. I remember my mom lamenting for both Brookshires and then Albertsons.
They are just all as "bad" as each other.
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
Personally, I avoid Starbucks because the coffee tastes like horse whizz. Likewise Costa.

Sponsored Links