Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Work Permit Waiting Time (Currentely)  (Read 7685 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Work Permit Waiting Time (Currentely)
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
Hi,

My employer in UK has applied for workpermit on 9th of July 2008 but have not heard anything yet from UK Home office. My questions are:

1. I am of understanding that it generally takes 2-3 weeks to get WP approval, this time in my case it is now 4.5 weeks and still waiitng...is this usual? When can i expect WP to come?

2. Home office site talks about "Striaghtforward" application...what all WP application falls into this category bcoz it seems Tier2 kinda WP is not falling under this category?

3. Can i call up home office and inquire about my WP progress?

4. While my WP approval in progress can i travel to UK?

Please help here...Not sure Vicky if you are around! Will like to get some expert comments from you or anyone who can hel here.

Many thanks.

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
Re: UK Work Permit Waiting Time (Currentely)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
Hi,

My employer in UK has applied for workpermit on 9th of July 2008 but have not heard anything yet from UK Home office. My questions are:

1. I am of understanding that it generally takes 2-3 weeks to get WP approval, this time in my case it is now 4.5 weeks and still waiitng...is this usual? When can i expect WP to come?

2. Home office site talks about "Striaghtforward" application...what all WP application falls into this category bcoz it seems Tier2 kinda WP is not falling under this category?

3. Can i call up home office and inquire about my WP progress?

4. While my WP approval in progress can i travel to UK?

Please help here...Not sure Vicky if you are around! Will like to get some expert comments from you or anyone who can hel here.

Many thanks.
Last I heard they were saying 6-8 weeks. My request for variation of circumstances (or whatever they call it) was submitted on 12 June and they only got around to looking at it late last week. So you've got a while before you need to panic. ;)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
I agree with Elynor. Give it some time. I know waiting for something like this is the hardest to do. I was going psycho with my fiancee visa!

I personally went down and did mine in person. It was worth extra money for me, but I had the visa there in hand the same day and was able to go on my holiday/honeymoon.

It was too quick getting it that way, and they really didn't seem to care about the documents as much...the DH commented that if we forgot to send in the mail one of those documents we brought and they didn't look at in person, our application could have been rejected. Rediculous. I think out of everything I brought as stated they were ONLY interested in my passport, application form, and his bank statements. *shrug*

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »
okies. thanks for these inputs but then what does "Straightforward" application here means (in case of WP for non EU nationals) ? as all WP application seems to take 6-8 weeks...!

also can i travel while WP is in process?

regards,

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
I would imagine straightforward means that your employer has done the appropriate homework to show that they've tried seeking help within the UK/EU and that you've got enough qualifications to show that you're more qualified than everyone in the UK/EU. If you're transferring companies, than you need to have adequate evidence of time with the company, etc. 

You can travel while waiting for the WP.   Once you get your WP, you need an entry clearance visa to come here, which is in your passport,and you apply for in the states. 

My WP was done in October and it took several weeks, 6 or 7ish I think, I wasn't able to apply for Entry Clearance until December. Mine application was straightforward I think... 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
thanks phatbeetle..so can we conclude that even if the application is straightforward it generally takes 6-8 weeks!

and its very useful to know that i can travel while the WP is in application!

regards,

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »
If you come to the UK, be aware that you must have a return ticket, and you must make clear to the IO if asked that you will be returning to the US once the permit is approved.

Vicky

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Vicky beat me to the advice I was just going to post-

I thought you were just asking about travel in general and re-read that you wanted to travel to the UK.  So follow her advice on travelling here... 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
Thanks Vicky for this tip...though i had asked the question out of my curiosity...its already 5th week since my WP is applied so i'll better wait...'

i am planning to write to uk home office to provide some online system for ppl to check their WP status....i know that my mail/letter will be put aside but still...there should be some visibility from horses mouth!!

anyways guys any thoughts/news on "Blue Card" inittative when it is going to get rolled out?

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
Why not wait until the new tier system has been rolled out before sending the letter4?  You are more likely to get a considered response then.

What 'blue card' system?

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »
Matrix, my UK employer submitted a work permit application for me on July 9, and has yet to hear anything either. It sounds like delays are not uncommon.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »
retrobolted - then we need to track each other as we both have applied on 9th July :) i'll be in touch with u...

Vicky - Blue Card will mean Work permit across Europe..i.e permit to work anywhere in nations which are part of EU union.

The European Commission has unveiled a Blue Card for skilled immigrants, based on the US Green Card. The plan would allow suitably qualified people and their families to live and work within the European Union.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7057575.stm

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »

Vicky - Blue Card will mean Work permit across Europe..i.e permit to work anywhere in nations which are part of EU union.

Did you see the date of that article?  I had forgotten about this plan.

It will NEVER happen.

Vicky

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
topic is still on - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/29/eu.france

this is dated 29 June 2008 but since ur into this u know the best.

but it will be good to have a WP across EU.

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »
The UK has a veto on immigration policy, and I very much doubt that other countries will run with this.

Vicky

Sponsored Links