Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit Sponsorship - Gentle Reminder  (Read 3451 times)

Work Permit Sponsorship - Gentle Reminder
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
Just a gentle reminder that if you're here on a work permit, your sponsor (i.e., your employer) needs to get registered.

Big companies already know about this, but little companies may be slow on the uptake, hence this reminder.  T2 requires that every employer get a license before they can think about renewing a WP or trying to get a new one.  Part of the procedure involves sending a man around to make sure the company is in fact a proper company, so getting a license isn't a next day thing.

There is no direct action on your part needed to do this, but if your company doesn't do it, you are the one who gets stuffed.  Lucky you!  :D

There are regional offices set up for each of these locations...

Scotland and Northern Ireland
North East, Yorkshire & Humber
Midlands and East of England
London & South East
Wales and South West
North West

Each office has at least two caseworkers and a hotline for employers to call in if there's a problem.  So if you're in a small company on a WP, be sure that your employer is taking steps to get a license.

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
Re: Work Permit Sponsorship - Gentle Reminder
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »
Is there a link anywhere official about this I can send to my boss? I've got ILR but a coworker is on a work permit still and we're in a tiny office...

thanks for the notice!

Edit: ahh, nevermind, I found it! Points-based system - sponsor register open to all

Edit2: VVV thanks, I think we posted simultaneously! ;)

Edit3: £1000 fee?!?!? omg!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:12:00 PM by squirrellypoo »
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Banned

• Liked: 4

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
Thanks Garry. I'd imagine my company would have already been informed, since they are a big company and use big shot immigration lawyers. Well at least I hope they know!  I wouldn't even know who to send this information to in my company! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
BUMP!

This is actually starting to be a problem.  Let's make it clear:  Employers *must* do this or they lose the capacity to sponsor in the new PBS system. 

If you are working for a smaller company, I suggest taking the proactive step of assuring that your employer is taking steps to get a sponsorship license.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »
It's starting to be not funny.

As of 31 July 2008, a total of 344 UK employers had applied for sponsor licenses.  Of these, 36 were refused  :o and 7 were given the lower grade "B" license.   92 UK employers have been approved.  The remainer are awaiting inspection.

Surely all of the Americans in  the UK are not all grouped into 92 employers.  Surely there's got to be work permit holders at more companies than that.

The way things are going, if all the employers applied tomorrow, the government simply doesn't have the bandwidth to process them all before commencement.

Like I said before, notwithstanding any fine an employer may receive, the one who gets a 28 day removal order is YOU.  So start bugging your HR departments!

It's not a gentle reminder anymore.

• Odd Duck
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
Garry, do you have any idea how universities are doing with this, or do you just have overall stats? I don't even know who to bug in HR if I need to.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »
These are employers only.  Don't have the stats on educational licenses, but I hope they are doing better. 

While I initially thought the licensing phase would be a jolly hoot to watch, it's turning out to be not funny.  I may actually have to go to a meeting.   :(  Normally I stay pretty much on the family side of things, but these developments are worrying because only 92 employers just doesn't cut it.

• Odd Duck
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »
These are employers only.  Don't have the stats on educational licenses, but I hope they are doing better. 
Ah, I see, thanks. I hope so too. :-\\\\

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »
Err...this is a bit worrying... 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »
I'm in a bit of a panic about this. So does this mean I have to re-apply for my work permit come November? I have a 5 year that expires in 2010. So I have to re-apply under tier 2? Or my employer just has to register?

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
Per above:  it is the *EMPLOYER* who needs to get a license.   T2 people don't have to do anything IF their employer has a license. 

I am trying to raise awareness that something appears to have gone wrong and employers are not applying in droves like they should be.  So find out if your sponsor has applied or not.  If not, then tell them to pull up their socks and get busy!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 09:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. The Border Agency website was misleading in my mind.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
They are also concerned.  And not without cause too.  They are now drafting a letter to go out to all employers next week.   I've seen the draft and it makes the whole thing abundantly clear.  There's also a rather scarey pamphlet which I'll put on Transpondia once the embargo is lifted.  Maybe these will help.

But realistically, the 1st of October is about 5 weeks away.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
I guess the adverts on tv haven't helped spread the message!
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links